VOX AD30VT Speaker Upgrade

Delboybruce

• Members

Hi

Decided I'm gonna keep my Vox and upgrade the speaker. The stock one really is crap. Still a great amp tho.

Apparently the following all fit in it. Anyone know which ones the best???? Or best sounding in that amp????

Again as always, advice much appreciated

Celestion G10 Vintage

Celestion V10 40

Celestion Tube 10

• Members

THe Celestion G10 Vintage is the most expensive...............Is it the best tho???? I did presume the Tube 10 was crap. I'd never heard of the V10 40 till you mentioned it.

If its worth paying the extra for the G10 then I'll pay it. If not, thats a few beers for the weekend.

The stock speaker is similar to one from a car stereo. Not really made for the various frequencies. The amp is capable of way much more than the speaker allows

As for the Pinto analogy................ So I'd upgrade the Pinto if I was sticking it in a Lotus, I'd not bother if it was in a big wobbly American Jillopy.

Horses for courses and all that.............

• Members

The G10 and V10 probably sound similar, but I'd expect the G10 to have a stiffer cone and be a little less open sounding at lower volumes. It's also a little prettier cosmetically.

The max power handling doesn't have too much to do with tone, but often a higher handling speaker will be made of more robust materials. These require more power to move them to the same degree, hence the tightness. You should never fit a speaker of LESS handling capacity than the amps output, and generally allow 20% tyo 50% more. Either speaker would be fine, but you might get a little more speaker-headroom from the G10. On second thoughts the Tube 10 is probably not too bad - it's fitted as standard to those Laney LC15s.

• Members

OK..... Another stupid question then............ Here goes....

The amp is basically for house use. Its got the wattage adaptor on the back that lets you drive the preamp valve at lower volumes.

Will that mean I'm not producing enough power to make it worthwhile getting the G10. You can't see it anyway so looks aren't important.

I've actually never had an amp modified so not sure how you decide what to go for.

My issue with the current speaker is that it just sound really tinny. Especially at any volume.

I don't know if I'm just expecting too much from a budget amp, and I really would be better punting it for the Laney.

I've played guitar for years, but I'm really crap at buying gear!!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by Delboybruce

My issue with the current speaker is that it just sound really tinny. Especially at any volume.

I don't know if I'm just expecting too much from a budget amp, and I really would be better punting it for the Laney.

This is really the issue.

TBH there are a lot of reasons you could be sounding tinny, and the Vox has a reputation for being a decent sounding budget amp. At low volumes many amps sound crappy and don't respond well. I'd suggest seeing if you can borrow a compressor pedal from someone, playing with EQ (especially boosting mids) etc to thicken up the tone.

I may have been misunderstanding something. Is that amp the modeller or the valve reactor? If it's the VR then yes, they are thin, and nothing will fix it. I tried one at music live, and it wasn't nice. In that case I'd say lose it fast and get either Laney.

I hate to say it, but thin tone can be technique related too. There's another guitar player I know that plays LPs through marshall kit and just sounds... thin. Thinner than me using a strat through a small amp. So we swapped gear breifly, and he sounded thin through my stuff and I sounded fat as anything through his.

• Members

Taken on board!!>.......

Pretty confident its not my technique or other kit. I'm a humbucker man myself and like a good meaty tone from my gear.

Its the amp modelling one I have. I tried the other one too, and hated it. Just sounded like the cheapest amp ever!!!!

I liked the bloke Frank, so I think I'll po round and give a new speaker a whirl. Whats the worst that can happen, I flog it on ebay as an upgraded Vox AD30VT, 2 months old with upgraded speaker............ BARGAIN PRICE>....

Thanks for your advice and especially for that site.

Fingers crossed. I just don't think I'd be doing the VC 15 justice in a flat. It probably needs to be driven hard to get the best tones

• Members

Tis Done.

The old boy I bought it from fitted it on the spot. Bit early to say as I've only used it for 10 minutes but the cleans seem tighter and more like a valve amp. NOt really had a chance to crank it yet. Tomorrow hopefully!!!!

They are great little amps. So hopefully this will make me happier with the tones

• Members

Originally posted by Delboybruce

The amp is basically for house use. Its got the wattage adaptor on the back that lets you drive the preamp valve at lower volumes.

The AD30VT is a modeler that uses a solid state preamp driving a 12AX7 in the power amp, then amplifying the valve output. (There is no "preamp valve" in this amp) That's why it can have that "power soak" knob on the back that lets you lower the speaker volume wtihout changing the tonal quality being spit out from the power section.

I would go for the G10 no questions asked, but it would be tough to decide between that and a Weber 10VS. This amp is great with a Weber speaker in it. The Tube 10 is no slouch, but not as good as the G10.......IMO. As an example, the Traynor YCV80Q comes with 4x10 filled with Tube 10s. Eminence also makes a 10 inch Legend speaker that is pretty good, and more affordable.

The only thing I really dont like about my Vox is that it is made of particle board.....but for home use that wont be a problem, only if you are on the road with it all the time.

• Members

I forgot to tell you what I discovered with my Vox......

turn the pregain down, turn the post gain all the way up, set your guitar volume at 5 or 7, then turn up the pregain until you get your desired tone.

I had a lot of trouble getting what I wanted when I first got this amp, because I did what I had always done.......turn the pregain all the way up, then set the master volume level. But this amp is different.......

I turn the post gain all the way up, turn the master all the way up, use the power soak knob to set the volume in the room, then use the guitar volume and the pregain to get the tone and distortion I want. I am much happier now.....

Archived