car guys...?

ratter

• Members

Yesterday morning my wife goes out to her car (Mini Cooper) and the battery is dead. She doesn't remember :rolleyes: leaving the lights on or anything.

So anyway, I plug up the battery charger and let it charge for a few hours, and it appears to be charging up fine. I had to disconnect things to leave for a while, but I noticed that now that the battery had a charge, the dash lights were staying on as though the keys were in the ignition, which they were not. And the headlights, dome light, etc. were all off.

I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and then reconnected, wondering if that would reset anything that might have gone wonky with the computer. But no go - the dash lights still stay on. So naturally, the battery would just drain overnight again....

Thoughts? Things I can look for?

Thanks!

• Members
Originally posted by ratter

Yesterday morning my wife goes out to her car (Mini Cooper) and the battery is dead. She doesn't remember
:rolleyes:
leaving the lights on or anything.

So anyway, I plug up the battery charger and let it charge for a few hours, and it appears to be charging up fine. I had to disconnect things to leave for a while, but I noticed that now that the battery had a charge, the dash lights were staying on as though the keys were in the ignition, which they were not. And the headlights, dome light, etc. were all off.

I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and then reconnected, wondering if that would reset anything that might have gone wonky with the computer. But no go - the dash lights still stay on. So naturally, the battery would just drain overnight again....

Thoughts? Things I can look for?

Thanks!

Well,its British so its supposed to have a bad electrical system. Maybe the ignition switch?

• Members

Thanks guys. I'll check it out again in the daylight. It just occurred to me that in my fascination with the dash lights, I didn't even try to start it up once it was charged. If it doesn't start up, maybe that points to the ignition switch too....

Goddamn I am growing to hate that little car...

Archived