New Mesa Boogie 4x12, how do I do the OHMS?

FinchTheory

• Members

Wow, best day ever. I got my Mesa Boogie 4x12 today and want to crank it, but I'm confused on the ohms. I have a mesa boogie 2x12 already and I was going from the head(8 ohms) to the cab (8 ohms). What do I do with the 4x12. On the 4x12 there is two 4 ohm slots and one 8 ohm slot. What do I plug it into. Okay sorry if this is confusing, but basically what do I do for ohms when...

-I want just my head and my 2x12.

-I want my head and my 4x12.

-I want my head and my 4x12 and 2x12 at the same time.

If you guys help me out I will post pics.:D

• Members
Originally posted by FinchTheory

Wow, best day ever. I got my Mesa Boogie 4x12 today and want to crank it, but I'm confused on the ohms. I have a mesa boogie 2x12 already and I was going from the head(8 ohms) to the cab (8 ohms). What do I do with the 4x12. On the 4x12 there is two 4 ohm slots and one 8 ohm slot. What do I plug it into. Okay sorry if this is confusing, but basically what do I do for ohms when...

-I want just my head and my 2x12.

-I want my head and my 4x12.

-I want my head and my 4x12 and 2x12 at the same time.

If you guys help me out I will post pics.
:D

It would help if you gave all the info needed. I assume the 8 ohm jack on the 4x12 is the mono input and the two 4 ohm slots are for stereo,correct? If so,why would you even mention them. Anyway,if the 4x12 cab is 8 ohms mono and your 2x12 cab is 8 ohms,its pretty simple. You are at 4 ohms total so either daisy-chain the cabs or use a "y". I assume you realize that each driver in the 2x12 cab will be getting 2x the power of each driver in the 4x12 cab.

• Members

Wow that really really confused me. I believe the 4 ohms slots are stereo and the 8 ohms is mono. Do I do 8 and 8 for just the 4x12, meaning 8 ohms on the head and 8 ohms on the cab. I have to speaker cables so if that works as a daisy chain then I can do that. Idk you're kinda talking with an ohm and stereo mono noob so this is hard for me to understand. I just always though 4x12s ran at 16 ohms.

• Members

with one cab, use the 8-ohm output into the 8-ohm jack on the cab. same goes for either cab.

with both cabs, use both 4-ohm outputs on the amp into the 8-ohm jacks on both cabs. in this case, the total load of the two 8-ohm cabs is 4-ohms, so you use the 4-ohm outputs on the amp.

• Members

Haha that made everything so much easier, thanks a lot. One last question when using both cabs is it alrgith to just use both of the speaker cables. Meaning one from the heads 4 ohm into the 4x12s 8 ohm, and the other from the heads other 4 ohm into the 2x12s 8 ohm. Wow im really excited now.

• Members

Originally posted by FinchTheory

Haha that made everything so much easier, thanks a lot. One last question when using both cabs is it alrgith to just use both of the speaker cables. Meaning one from the heads 4 ohm into the 4x12s 8 ohm, and the other from the heads other 4 ohm into the 2x12s 8 ohm. Wow im really excited now.

edit: yes. that's the right way to do it.

• Members

Originally posted by IcedEarthian

can I run my trad 4x12 in stereo with my powerball? right now it's at 8ohms mono....do I just take two speakers cables and plug them in the four ohms on the head,then to the cab?

powerballs aren't stereo... so no.

Archived