Should I upgrade Valvetronix AD50VT to AD60VTX ?

buckwild

• Members

Hi Everybody. I recently purchased a VOX valvetronix AD50VT combo amp. Let me first start by saying I absolutely hands down love the tone on this thing. I own mostly big tube amps(MEsa, Budda) and this thing really has that tube type warmth.

However, I am a bit bummed about the direct out sound. Because it's before the tube amp simulation it really sucks in quality. I'm thinking of taking back the AD50VT to Guitar Center and upgrading to the AD60VTX. Any thoughts on this and I'd love any AD60VTX owners to chime in on it's direct recording sounds.

• Members

I have the AD120VTH (120 Watt head). The AD60VTX is the smaller brother of the AD120, in a combo.

The AD60 and AD120 are the Valvetronix flagships, and are on another level entirely from the AD50.

As just one example...you get modeled stompboxes. You will just LOVE using the tube screamer model in front of the plexi, or the Soldano model.

The FX are better quality, as well.

Definitely go for the AD60VTX !!

While my main rig is a Randall 50 watt all tube head, with a Roctron Xpression multi-FX rack unit...my Valvetronix AD120VTH is THE perfect bedroom / apartment amp...as it sounds killer at low volumes (as well as cranked).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm also thinking of selling my AD50VT and getting an AD60VTX. I love my '50, but the higher quality cabinet (baltic ply. vs. partcalboard + the VTX has foamy batting on the back wall of the cab.) better speaker (a Vintage 30 for the '50 is ~$80), and the already-mentioned much better FX seem well worth the extra dough. . .

My '50 is from Northcoast & has the pretty brown VOX fretcloth, so I'm not itching for a better looking amp, but if I had the fugly chrome diamond grill I'd look at the blue fretcloth as another BIG plus!

Archived