Yet Another Plexi Clip ('80s Hard Rock Style...)

ratter

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

Thanks guys. I don't feel like I'm anywhere near the potential of the amp yet, so any tips are more than welcomed.

doomsday, this is the 1959HW reissue. I had the 20 watter for a brief time, and it's also a killer amp, but has nowhere near the gain of the 100 watter. Or the thump, obviously...

This clip was all -16 on the hotplate. No boost. Everything nearly dimed, but the channel volume and treble and presence each rolled back a touch.

That really sounds sweet, man! Did you use any boost, or is that all amp?

Also, have you played the HW as well as a normal SLP reissue? If so, could you notice a difference of any kind?

Nice clip.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

is newer. Same setup, without the Phase 90...

ratter,

Have you played the 1959SLP as well as the HW version? If so, could you tell a difference between the two?

Was there any boost in your clip, or was that all amp?

Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by atbear

ratter,

Have you played the 1959SLP as well as the HW version? If so, could you tell a difference between the two?

Was there any boost in your clip, or was that all amp?

Thanks

I've played the 1959SLP's in stores, but not extensively and usually not cranked, so I can't really give a good comparison. But I'm guessing that with the same tubes/bias etc., and maybe with a couple of tweaks, there probably wouldn't be much difference....

No boosts on these two clips, just amp...

• Members

I've played the 1959SLP's in stores, but not extensively and usually not cranked, so I can't really give a good comparison. But I'm guessing that with the same tubes/bias etc., and maybe with a couple of tweaks, there probably wouldn't be much difference....

No boosts on these two clips, just amp...

That's good, because I can almost afford the SLP... the HW is far out of reach!

Great sound, man. Is the gain available at lower volumes, or just when cranked?

• Members

Originally posted by atbear

That's good, because I can almost afford the SLP... the HW is far out of reach!

Great sound, man. Is the gain available at lower volumes, or just when cranked?

Only when cranked...there's no master volume. So a hotplate or something similar is definitely a necessity! Or get it modded for a master volume. Of course, pedals work great too....

• Members

Only when cranked...there's no master volume. So a hotplate or something similar is definitely a necessity! Or get it modded for a master volume. Of course, pedals work great too....

My Reinhardt is the exact same way but it gives up the goods at a little less volume as it's a 50 watter.:cool: I'm probably going to build a plexi for no reason than just because.

On another note, my Splawn can get those tones at a lower volume without a hotplate.:)

• Members

I've only heard/played the Splawn Competition, but frankly, it didn't do anything for me. It was just gain, gain, gain.

quickrod is the same. I may gut it and turn it into a plexi.

Archived