Amplifier construction, how much does it matter?

math2014

• Members

While I would prefer chassis mounted tubes, there will be differences in how it's done if they're mounted on PCB. I remember when changing the preamp tubes on the Marshall DSL50 I had I could feel the board bend when pushing in new tubes. Not good. If I remember correctly the powertubes were mounted on the case though or at least mounted in a much more solid way.

I would be more worried about powertubes mounted on PCB than preamp tubes..preamp tubes don't get that hot.

• Members

Originally posted by maz_master

An excellent example of indestructible PCB design. But, THD does the same thing for a helluva' lot less!

Looking at that makes me realize that Mike Soldano is a {censored}ing crook.:o

• Members
Originally posted by maz_master

Not bad, except the tubes are PCB-mounted, which isn't a good thing. I don't think the earlier generation Mesas used PCB-mounted tubes. I think Randall's starting to cut corners...

For the record, I don't have a problem with preamp tubes mounted to the PCB as long as it's done right meaning the board doesn't flex with insertion of the tube, the solder pads are plated through and are of sufficient size to make a good mechanical connection etc. Regardless, I've never had a problem with my amp from heat on the PCB or otherwise through three years of heavy use. As far as cutting corners this is from Mesa about all their current production amps: "All Mesa amplifiers

• Members

Originally posted by SergeantThump

Construction techniques are only important to the Internet cork sniffers. Most real world musicians out there playing the clubs every weekend could care less. That includes amateurs and pros. I know alot of folks won't agree, but I don't care.

I'll agree. I've never opened up an amp to see what it looks like inside or if its PTP, PCP or what ever. If it sounds good on stage and in my bedroom and at band practice.....I'm happy!

• Members

Originally posted by Rich

Play a regular plexi reissue against a handwired reissue and you will tell the difference between PCB and Hanwired pretty quickly.
:mad:

There are lots of other differences than just the construction. Different transformers, different parts and so on.

• Members

I swear i saw a picture 2 weeks ago where on the THD some tubes were pcb mounted and some pots, (Flexi 50), maybe i am wrong.

I would be interested to know if there are any good EL34/6V6 heads that use construction techniques like the SLO or the F100, and have a killer master volume (like the Orange) that allows good tone at low volumes. (50W)

Archived