Clean Tone Advice Please

Johansolo

• Members

everyone aslways asks about tips on getting the KilllerEndofTheWorld Distortion...so how about some tips/advice for cleans in regards to EQ

myself , i dont spend as much time tweaking my clean as compared to distortion (both for live and recording) i just tune to what my ears like.

anyone care to share some eq/gain tips

• Members

I recently added a Behringer EQ700 into the effects loop of my Peavey Bandit. For a measely $35 CDN, it completely changed the tone characteristics of my amp, which is important to me since I play through the clean channel with a bit of reverb most of the time.

I liked the overall sound of my amp, but the tonal quality I like out of the clean channel when I have my archtop plugged in for jazz versus my solid body for blues, is very different. I also need different tone settings depending on whether I'm playing alone, or jamming/gigging with others. And of the course, the environment you're playing in has an impact on tone. My amp's standard 3 band EQ just doesn't cut it.

Tone is in the ears of the beholder, so tips on actual settings would not mean much. However, adding an EQ will at least give you best chance of achieving the tone you desire in any situation. Lastly, I get a much better result with it plugged into the effects loop, for it bypasses the stock EQ.

Lawrie

• Members

the amp really comes into play here, with certain amp/guitar combinations all you need to do is plug in and play -

on the other hand maybe you do have 2 guitars and need different settings instantly without fooling with the amp controls - EQ to the rescue!

also- if your amp is not giving you what you want a good EQ pedal can work wonders. i think everyone should have an EQ even if they dont use it all the time, it will allow you to pull more sounds out of the amp which is very handy when recording

i find that with clean tones you can scoop the mids a little more than with overdrive/distortion, because cleans cut through a mix better than overdrive/distortion (usually) so often times you can back off the mids with cleans if you wanna go for that - which is great for certain amps

i think it has alot to do with the guitar/amp used, so its hard for me to offer advice/settings in general.

i usually go for loud cleans that just start to breakup when hit hard, tone controls are close to 1/2 way with little variations depending on the room/sound i need

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

i find that with clean tones you can scoop the mids a little more than with overdrive/distortion, because cleans cut through a mix better than overdrive/distortion (usually) so often times you can back off the mids with cleans if you wanna go for that - which is great for certain amps

thats what i thought also...that cleans sounded better with less mids...but i was worried because i pump my mids on the crunch and distortion channels.

im actually getting off the high gain stuff at the momment( i play in a metal band) and starting to like the sound of my guitar on clean channels

amps using - framus cobra

- fender roc pro1000 combo

- vox AD15VT

• Members

w/o efffect:

I approach dialing in my clean channel as follows. The roland JC120 has one of the nicest glassy cleans, but its too much for strumming chords. Fenders are rich and thick but not glassy and way too punchy for picking runs. I usually try and find a tone thats somewhere in between those two. Treble sets the brightness, I set mine on my Single Rect to around 2:00. Bass sets the low end, this depends on your guitar, pup and cab choice. Mids are the key to the balance between rich and glassy. I set mine slightly scooped at 11:00. Then I set my channel gain to taste to warm up the tone.

w/ effects

I usually add a slight chorus and delay. Depending on the song phase or tremolo.

• Members
thats what i thought also...that cleans sounded better with less mids...but i was worried because i pump my mids on the crunch and distortion channels.

- fender roc pro1000 combo

:confused: am i weird, i love thickness on the cleans on this amp ....
i like the treble turned down alot, and the mid high, maybe i'm odd ...
(but i guess, my pup's are {censored} as, um {censored} so ...)

• Members

for the most part i like a really warm, soft sounding clean...with just a touch of chorus to give it that lush eery feel; usually with less mids than i would dial in if i had more gain

with my cobra i always thought the cleans sounded best with the volume on the guitar rolled back slightly, i've got the clean patches on my gt-6 set to only 85% of the normal output volume i use on other channels

i also like an old school, lo fi kinda clean sound...which is usually easy to get if i switch to the high gain channel of most any tube amp, and have the guitar volume up just high enough to where the notes barely come out then inch it up to where it gets that nice grittiness if i hit the strings hard enough

Archived