Any Carvin MTS users here?

hugbot

• Members

I recently got an MTS and I'm having trouble geting a sound I like.

The problem for me is the top end, I hate it. Way too fizzy and trebbly for me in a way that cant seem to be dialed out.

Everybody in the reviews section seems to rave a bout this amp, and lot of them say things like "I much prefered the MTS with el34s" (Mine came with 6l6s) my question is this, will EL34s help get rid of that top end I hate so much? Was anyone else hearing the same thing before they switched to EL34s?

• Members

When I had an MTS, I used a Boss GE-7 in the FX loop and the tone improved quite a bit. The MTS has a lack of mids, even when they are one 10. With the EQ in the loop you can bump up the mids and lows a bit and really taylor the sound to what you want.

• Members

ok... i'll play...

i had the mts head paired up with a legacy 2 x 12 a few years ago. i really liked it... the dirty channel was pretty versatile and the clean was better than most high gain amps.

years later, my little cousin bought one on my suggestion. when i heard it, i found the tone too thin and sterile... but i didn't have the heart to tell him.

i didn't get to really play with it as much.

• Members

OK, I never owned one but I have played one a few times. I found I didn't like it at all the first time I played it, the next time I was able to crank it and it was an entirely different story, I had to be pulled off of it (probably because of my playing). I was really copping an old Sabbath tone from it. I own 3 older Fenders and the clean on the MTS put all of them to shame:(

Don't know what kind sound you are looking for but here is a band that uses one.

• Members

Originally posted by GDan

I recently got an MTS and I'm having trouble geting a sound I like.

The problem for me is the top end, I hate it. Way too fizzy and trebbly for me in a way that cant seem to be dialed out.

Everybody in the reviews section seems to rave a bout this amp, and lot of them say things like "I much prefered the MTS with el34s" (Mine came with 6l6s) my question is this, will EL34s help get rid of that top end I hate so much? Was anyone else hearing the same thing before they switched to EL34s?

Have you tried to roll the presence back a bit? What kind of speakers does the cab have?

• Members

Originally posted by bverdon

Have you tried to roll the presence back a bit? What kind of speakers does the cab have?

Marshall 1936 with G12t-75s, that may be part of the issue as the general consensus seems to be that its a POS. But I doubt thats the whole story.

Archived