Poly Evolver PE

ElectricPuppy

• Members

I just used the deoxit on my very early model PEK (its serial no. 28) and its like suddenly its new again!. This stuff really does the job. I *hope* this helps long term..

I dont know what to think about this update. On the one hand, I like the encoders. On the other, I know that most people dont and if I ever decided to sell this board, the fact it hasnt been upgraded might factor against it. I honestly dont think I will ever sell it (it just fits me too well) but still...resale value is something I think about.

About the voice update:

Each voice on the Evolver has stereo outputs. To add 4 or even just two voices would mean punching holes in the case to install the jacks, so the cost of an 'expansion card' would be quite high, and would require returning the unit to the factory to have this done.

I am actually pretty happy with just the 4 voices on the PEK. Its sound is kinda big, so you dont want it doing too much in a track. If you have the sequencers and distortion going, it can really get out of hand.

• Members

Seems I'm a lucky one. I have serial nr 00007 and I don't need any deoxit so far. All encoders working flawlessly.

Really its just a few encoders that were trouble on mine - but they were the worst ones possible: Filter Cutoff, Resonance, Filter Envelope Attack, and Music Parameters:Select. I could get around all but the last one by using the knob as a parameter selector and then using the inc/dec buttons to get the value I wanted. It worked, but thats not why I bought a knobby synth!.

What I find interesting is all of these encoders are on the same board, and that board was replaced when my display went out. It is a Rev 1.2 board while the other three boards are 1.0. I wonder if I should just get the board replaced if this happens again.

• Members

How many times did you apply? I applied it twice on mine and a 3rd time for really jumpy knobs. Mine's working great.

That's funny, I think there is quite a few of us that got around to using the deoxit at the same time. Cat's out of the bag. :cop:

I actually have a problem with my display. Not sure what the deal is. I have to keep it on a value of 13 for contrast or else I can't actually see anything on there. Just hope I never accidently tweak the contrast and navigate away from the page, that would be fun trying to go back.

• Members

For most of the panel, I just did one application. I had two knobs that needed a second, and a third that I am going to open it up for one more third pass. Now all the pots are silky smooth (except for one).

I am sorry to hear about your display issue. Even out of warrantee, sometimes DSI will at least cut a deal on parts. when my display fried, they swapped the panel out and the cost was very reasonable. Also, they just send you the new board and you send them back the old one - you dont need to have them or a service center do it, so your not down for any amount of time. I dont know how they deal with the potential liability of having users poking around inside their equipment, but it works for me.

• Members

Really its just a few encoders that were trouble on mine...

What I find interesting is all of these encoders are on the same board, and that board was replaced when my display went out. It is a Rev 1.2 board while the other three boards are 1.0. I wonder if I should just get the board replaced if this happens again.

That is interesting. I just replaced a rev 1.2 board with a rev 1.0 board to fix an unrelated problem. But the board I just put in (rev 1.0) has flawless encoders!

• Members

Can anyone comment on whether or not the new endless encoders are indented like the Evo Desktop? Makes it so much easier to select discreet values (such as selecting a control source/destination)...

For everyone's information, I emailed DSI regarding this and received this reply:

"We are doing what you mention, the PE conversion for the Poly Evolver Keyboard has the detented encoders and others will likely have them as well moving forward"

Dave Smith Instruments

• Members

Yeah, If I start having too many issues with not being able to see the display in certain lights, then I'll probably have to see about getting it replaced.

Dentented encoders, even for cutoff and rez... I don't like it for certain parameters like these. Others it would work well when you just want to dial in, but for sweeping through parameters, I don't know how much I'd get on with those. I had the MED and thought tweaking was a little slower b/c of the dents.

• Members

"We are doing what you mention, the PE conversion for the Poly Evolver Keyboard has the detented encoders and others will likely have them as well moving forward"

The Pot Edition conversion kit will replace a lot of the encoders with potentiometers, especially the most commonly tweaked ones like filter cutoff and resonance. The knobs left as encoders will probably be like the Misc Parameters, Parameter 1 & 2, and possibly the Modulators section, all knobs that in my opinion would benefit from dented encoders.

• Members

The Pot Edition conversion kit will replace a lot of the encoders with potentiometers, especially the most commonly tweaked ones like filter cutoff and resonance. The knobs left as encoders will probably be like the Misc Parameters, Parameter 1 & 2, and possibly the Modulators section, all knobs that in my opinion would benefit from dented encoders.

DSI tech support said the "performance parameters" would be pots, and the "data entry parameters" would be encoders... whatever that means.

Xpander, cool pic! The inside of that synth is beautiful. I replaced that center board, and I left the old one sitting out for a couple of days to admire it :)

• Members

here's a picture from the DSI website of where to put the DeOxit. remember, you want to prop the board up so the DeOxit will drain down into the encoder. see DSI website for more details.

encoder.jpg

here are some pix i took of the other control panel boards and what surely are the mythical made-for-DSI Curtis VCFs (two per voice). i had SEVENTEEN faulty encoders to clean and now they all work flawlessly. needless to say, i can use my PolyEvolver again.

panel_left.jpg

panel_right.jpg

opened.jpg

curtis_m.jpg

here's the minitube of DeOxit DSI sends. waaay more than enough to clean the 17 encoders:

deoxit_m.jpg

Archived