Poly Evolver PE

ElectricPuppy

• Members

pek_page.jpg

Details here: http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/pek/

There's evidently a conversion kit available to make your all-encoder PEK a potted one, but I can't seem to find the info on this on DSI's site. I'm really considering this, because I don't care for the encoders, especially for those values that don't need it (like cutoff, for example).

You go, Mr. Smith. :thu:

• Members

i don't know if i'd like pots better on the PEK- i just know the encoders on mine are of poor quality. hoping the DeOxit will sort it out. encoders do make a lot of sense on synths with patch memory, though.

i just cleaned my encoders with the deoxit they sent, and it works like new. and i had a couple really stubborn encoders.

• Members

Same here. Just cleaned my PEK and the Deoxit works. My PEK was an uneditable mess of jumpy encoders that plain out frusterated. Now it's the synth I hoped. I will I think in the future buy different and bigger knobs for my PEK though. Not a tiny knob fan.

I have just a little bit in my deoxit tube left. Free deoxit or $400 pots? :idk:

I might be in the minority, but I'm with Dave. I enjoy the experience of an encoder over the pots. It's more fluid to sound programming. Pots piss me off sometimes.

I do like the PE edition though, he just needed to make all the knobs silver.

• Members

OOOOOO! I've been waiting for that. The live tweakability is greatly compromised by those encoders. I do think I'll try the deoxit first, but I imagine the encoders will step annoyingly anyway.

I guess I should make sure the pots sweep smoothly before I take the plunge. I'm encouraged by reading that the conversion is easy-- I imagine it could be undone if for some reason I didn't like it.

• Members

While having pots, new graphics and Bubinga end panels are nice upgrades, it would have made sense for DSI to throw in 2 more voices for a total of 6. This would have made it a Poly Evolver 2.0 rather than 1.5.

Then you can play octaves with your left hand over 3 note chords with a voice to float.

There should be an international law that the min number of voices for any polyphonic synth is 5 with a preference of 6-8!

• Members

OOOOOO! I've been waiting for that. The live tweakability is greatly compromised by those encoders. I do think I'll try the deoxit first, but I imagine the encoders will step annoyingly anyway.

I gotta say I was dang skeptical and didn't think the deoxit would work. I bought my PEK last spring and that's why I didn't do the deoxit until now. I was too dang skeptical. Was so frusterated (even though I love the sound and flexiblity) I was thinking I will make an ultimatum to try deoxit and if it doesn't work, I'd make up my mind to sell it or look into a different method to fix the encoders.

Luckily it works now after using deoxit. No more crazy jumps or steps.

• Members

While having pots, new graphics and Bubinga end panels are nice upgrades, it would have made sense for DSI to throw in 2 more voices for a total of 6. This would have made it a Poly Evolver 2.0 rather than 1.5.

Then you can play octaves with your left hand over 3 note chords with a voice to float.

There should be an international law that the min number of voices for any polyphonic synth is 5 with a preference of 6-8!

Sure, just "throw in" 2 extra voices. It's as simple as that. :facepalm:

Besides, there's $1200 difference between the 1-voice MEK and the 4-voice PEK. That's $400 per voice for that additional 3 voices. The PEK PE is only $100 more than the original.

• Members

Can anyone comment on whether or not the new endless encoders are indented like the Evo Desktop? Makes it so much easier to select discreet values (such as selecting a control source/destination)...

i know the MEK ones are not, so i'd assume the PEK are not as well.

• Members

Sure, just "throw in" 2 extra voices. It's as simple as that.

Besides, there's $1200 difference between the 1-voice MEK and the 4-voice PEK. That's $400 per voice for that additional 3 voices. The PEK PE is only $100 more than the original.

Its $1200 more for the voices, extra pots, extra buttons, casing/form factor, keyboard, mod wheels etc. - not just the voices.

Lets put it another way, a 4 voice PEK at $1700-$1800 isnt even a consideration for many (including me). A 6-8 voice PEK could be. An Andromeda is 16 analog voices. That goes for $3000 or less. A 4 voice synth cant really be used effectively polyphonically unless your are doing 4 monophonic parts. Forget about doing serious 2 handed chord progressions. Even then, if you manage to go with something that works, you done in 1 part, 2 if you are lucky so. I would rather save the money just go with a mono Evolver if I was in the market for one. 8 voices/8 parts, reasonably priced, that's a different story. Still world rather have a rackmount option though!

Connecting a PE rack is clunky 15 year old technology. Besides, there is no PE rack anymore. There should be at least voice expansion cards by now.

Archived