Running Amps in Stereo...

Themetallikid

• Members

If I wanted to achieve this with say a XXX and a JSX how would I got about doing it in the current setup, what would I need to add/modify.

This is what I run now:

Guitar > Wah > NS-2 > JSX > G Major in loop > Cab

Would my signal just look like this?

Guitar > Wah > NS-2 > Splitter

G Major in loop > Cab 1

G Major in Loop > Cab 2

basically just running the splitter into each amp, the FX loop of each amp into the Input/output of the G major in stereo, and running each amp into a separate cab??

• Members

There's a difference between running 2 amps at the same time and running in true stereo.

If you want to run in true stereo go:
1- Main head to Fx Out into GMajor,
2-Gmajor Out #1 back into Main Head Fx Return,
3-GMajor Out #2 into Fx Return Secondary Head.

The seconday head only act as a power amp to power up the opposite side of the stereo image. It is basically slaved.

If you run two separate amps complete with their own effects, that is not really stereo...that's two amps running in tandem. The 2 GMajor units need to run on separate MIDI channels so you can have total and separate control of each amp with your MIDI control system. If you have a unit such as the ToneBone Amp Switcher, you can then choose either or both amps at any given time.

I've done both and enjoy doing it either way. Running true stereo is like being in a wall of stereo on stage. Running tandem makes you think there are two of you if you have radically different amp settings ie....heavy lead distortion with a chorused clean sound underneath it.

Ric

• Members

FOr my application of Hard rock, which would be the step to look into...

I want to be able to build a massive sound, so I think the tandem thing would be more towards what I am looking at right?

or am I missing something.

And if I get it the slaving thing right, I would run

Guitar > Wah > NS-2 > JSX > G Major

Cab 1
Cab 2
With this type setup, I'd be getting the JSX sound pushed through the G Major and JSX and XXX Power sections, but wouldnt be touching any of the XXX pre-amp.

If I wanted to run tandem, I would be using the pre-amp sections of both amps....???

• Members

That's correct....a true stereo set up will not use the XXX preamp section.

If you want to use both amps in all their glory, then the tantem set up is what you want. The beauty of tandem is that since both amps are totally independant of the other, you can do what ever you want with them either using them separately...like Eric Johnson does, or both at the same time.

For instance as mentioned above, heavy lead distortion with delay on one amp , clean and chorused on the other.

Running both amps clean and chorused really sounds amazing, especially if the chorus settings are different for both amps.

Running dry high gain, but with a slight amount of chorus on one amp to "spred out" the sound....the list is endless.

The only thing about tandem besides 60 cycle and ground loop hum, is making sure the amps are on the same phase. If the amps are out of phase the sound will be kind of ethereal since the sound waves coming at you are oscillating differently from each other. The beauty of the ToneBone Amp switcher is it has a phase switch that alters the phase of one of the amps 180 degrees. The ToneBone also does remarkably well at isolating both amps and in my experience runs both amps dead quiet.

Good luck
Ric

• Members

If he were to run a "WET/DRY" set up with the 2 that would be tandem?
Not stereo?

I read where EVH and Iommi run theirs head slave to another amp or "true" stereo. Neil Schon runs 3 amps at the same time I don't know if that is slaved stereo.
Probably for the fuller sound you speak of?

• Members

Running stereo basically means taking a guitar signal and giving it a stereo field. Running two separate amps with different settings really is not considered "stereo". Stereo fields are produced by chorus, and stereo delays (two delays set differently ie 250ms and 375ms), and other time altereing effects.

A great amp that is stereo is the Rivera S120. It has 2 60 watt EL34 driven power amps and a built in chorus. The effects loop consists of 1 send and 2 returns....each into their respective power amp. With a separate speaker cab the spread of the stereo effect is a joy to listen to on stage.

All lot of guys, Steve Vai for example, run 1 main head and 2 slaves. The center cab is the dry signal, left cab is the left side of the stereo spectrum, right cab is right side of the stereo spectrum.

Guys like Eric Johnson use at least two separate amp systems. For example, Fender twins handling the pristine clean, the Marshalls handling the high gain leads. I personally do not consider this a stereo set up even though the guitar has two or more sounds coming from different locations. The notion of multiple amps is to captialize on each amp's unique sound or contribution to overall sound.

Some might consider these two above concepts as having only minor differences, but in a stereo rig, one amp and only one amp controls all the overall sound. The slaved amps used only suffice to develop the stereo spread.

In a course nut shell...think Eric Johnson for a tandem set up. Think Steve Vai for a stereo set up.

Ric

• Members
Originally posted by skycarvin01

Running stereo basically means taking a guitar signal and giving it a stereo field. Running two separate amps with different settings really is not considered "stereo". Stereo fields are produced by chorus, and stereo delays (two delays set differently ie 250ms and 375ms), and other time altereing effects.

A great amp that is stereo is the Rivera S120. It has 2 60 watt EL34 driven power amps and a built in chorus. The effects loop consists of 1 send and 2 returns....each into their respective power amp. With a separate speaker cab the spread of the stereo effect is a joy to listen to on stage.

All lot of guys, Steve Vai for example, run 1 main head and 2 slaves. The center cab is the dry signal, left cab is the left side of the stereo spectrum, right cab is right side of the stereo spectrum.

Guys like Eric Johnson use at least two separate amp systems. For example, Fender twins handling the pristine clean, the Marshalls handling the high gain leads. I personally do not consider this a stereo set up even though the guitar has two or more sounds coming from different locations. The notion of multiple amps is to captialize on each amp's unique sound or contribution to overall sound.

Some might consider these two above concepts as having only minor differences, but in a stereo rig, one amp and only one amp controls all the overall sound. The slaved amps used only suffice to develop the stereo spread.

In a course nut shell...think Eric Johnson for a tandem set up. Think Steve Vai for a stereo set up.

Ric

Wrong. So you are saying that a recording which features different sounding guitars through the left and right channels isn't actually a stereo recording unless there is stereo chorus,ping-pong delay,etc on it?

• Members

Guys,

We aren't talking about recording technigues of full bands or multiple tracking of the same guitar parts to add stereo spectrum and make the overal track sound full.

We are talking about one guitar using multiple amps and the two BASIC ways of doing so ON STAGE.

Recording technigues are vastly different than live stage techniques.

So, no...we are not talking about home stereo, any type AV, or left and right RCA plugs here.

Ric

• Members
Originally posted by skycarvin01

Guys,

We aren't talking about recording technigues of full bands or multiple tracking of the same guitar parts to add stereo spectrum and make the overal track sound full.

We are talking about one guitar using multiple amps and the two BASIC ways of doing so ON STAGE.

Recording technigues are vastly different than live stage techniques.

So, no...we are not talking about home stereo, any type AV, or left and right RCA plugs here.

Ric

I'm not talking about specifics,just about the fact that "stereo" means having the capability to have different sounds come out of the left and the right side. You certainly don't need to add chorus or ping-pong to be able to say that.

• Members

not sure this will work, but here is a 'crude' idea of how I'd like to run it.

only concern would be the switching of channels in the g major to each amp. I have a message to Jerry, whom i got the cable from initially, about him building a box that will allow the gmajor to switch both at the same time.

• Members
Originally posted by joeyvoltage

I would do it every show If I could, but it is alot of {censored} to lug around. I have only tried the "tandem" thing, seperating two amps with a stereo chorus one side affected by the rate, the other by the depth, and it sounded huge.

Laziness?

Archived