FRAMUS COBRA- is it really worth Re-Biasing

Johansolo

• Members

what the title says...my cobra as far is i know is stock and im lending it for another band to record with it ...

anyways as soon as they are finishied recording with the head im taking it to a tech to give it a once over.

neways im looking for opinions on cobra owners that have set thier bias a bit hotter than stock and any issues (if any) that have happened due to it

does it really make that much diffrence on the sound???

or will different power/preamp tubes with hotter biasing will sound better than the EH ones???

i have a feeling that i can only get hold of svetlanas and sovtek varietys around my part of town.

• Members

From my experience the cobra sounds really {censored}ing good biased a bit hotter. Many agree with this and there are some that actually prefer the colder bais setting.

The colder setting, IMO, sounds just that....Colder, fizzy on the high end, kind of "HI FI Sounding"

The Warmer bias setting opens the amp up a little more and gives more power amp saturation. The sound is a bit warmer and more organic sounding. You will find that the hi-fi sound has left.

The Bright Switch on the clean channel will also become more noticeable which is definitly a plus!

Personally when I got this second cobra, I couldn't understand why it sounded so much better than my last one lol. Then I checked the bias and its actually around 34/35 mua. Last time it was around 31 or so, I prefer the Higher bias setting.

Some dont, some do, some hate the amp. What I would do is get yourself a bias meter...shouldn't be too much $$ and just check the bias, you can lower it just as easyily as you can raise it. Its almost as easy as {censored}ing with the tone knobs!

• Members

so its a "bias meter" i need

is that what its called? and how do you actually do it?
is there a link or a step by step guide on how to do it?

im assuming you stick this meter into the bias points and turn it to the desired level??

cheers for the info btw

Archived