OT: time to buy a car...

keithb

• Members

Well, it's finally time for me to buy a car (been "borrowing" one from my parents for way too long)

So, of course I have choices: I can either be responsible and buy the 2000 Altima with 68k miles that I've been driving from my parents, or do what I want to do and buy the 2000 Trans Am I've been looking at.

I just started a new job, and although I'm not too concerned about being able to pay for the Trans Am, although I know there will be a significant difference in gas, maintenance, and particularly insurance costs.

So what do you guys think I should do? Save the cash, or drive the bitchin' Trans Am? :D

• Members
Originally posted by keithb

Well, it's finally time for me to buy a car (been "borrowing" one from my parents for way too long)

So, of course I have choices: I can either be responsible and buy the 2000 Altima with 68k miles that I've been driving from my parents, or do what I want to do and buy the 2000 Trans Am I've been looking at.

I just started a new job, and although I'm not too concerned about being able to pay for the Trans Am, although I know there will be a significant difference in gas, maintenance, and particularly insurance costs.

So what do you guys think I should do? Save the cash, or drive the bitchin' Trans Am?
:D

Get a bike

CBR250RR.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by charliedango

There's nothing "bitchin" about Trans Ams.

Now Camaros on the other hand......

Yeah, Camaros on the other hand break WAY more often. Same car, they both suck. :p If we were talking 60's F-bodies, now that's a different story.

I used to work for GM. Save yourself the headache......go with a Japanese or German car.

• Members
Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X

Yeah, Camaros on the other hand break WAY more often. Same car, they both suck.
:p
If we were talking 60's F-bodies, now that's a different story.

I used to work for GM. Save yourself the headache......go with a Japanese or German car.

Funny...
My 2000 SS Camaro has never broken down on me...Nor have any of my Chevy cars and trucks....
Plus you can spank the crap out of just about anything on the road with a LS1 car....Even Z06's...:D

By the way, I have a Camaro for sale....:D

10.85 @135mph...And still gets 22mpg...:D
R5.jpg
R3.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by LedZep77

What is more important to you, looking cool or saving money? That's basically what it comes down to. Also, think about driving the TA in the winter in Rhode Island:eek:

Also being in Rhode Island I will have to agree .... you will wish you had a second car to drive in the snow .

nothing wrong with a altima ... you want to look cool.. take some of the cash that it would cost you to keep the Trans on the road ( gas ,fixing it ) and sport up the altima .

Hands down the Altima will be way more reliable .....

I love muscle cars too ... but in New England they should be driven 4 months out of the year ...

• Members
Originally posted by SteveVHT

Funny...

My 2000 SS Camaro has never broken down on me...Nor have any of my Chevy cars and trucks....

Plus you can spank the crap out of just about anything on the road with a LS1 car....Even Z06's...

By the way, I have a Camaro for sale....

10.85 @135mph...And still gets 22mpg...
R5.jpg
R3.jpg

that's a gorgeous ride ...... but I couldn't see driving that in the winter ( I would be afraid of ruining it )

• Members

Originally posted by GRIFF10672

Also being in Rhode Island I will have to agree .... you will wish you had a second car to drive in the snow .

nothing wrong with a altima ... you want to look cool.. take some of the cash that it would cost you to keep the Trans on the road ( gas ,fixing it ) and sport up the altima .

Hands down the Altima will be way more reliable .....

I love muscle cars too ... but in New England they should be driven 4 months out of the year ...

Yep, that's why I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Looks cool and handles all types of weather, especially these Chicago winters (prob not as bad as in New England)

• Members

Funny...

Plus you can spank the crap out of just about anything on the road with a LS1 car....Even Z06's...

R5.jpg
R3.jpg

Nice....I'll trade you the Peacemaker for it!!:D

• Members

Originally posted by GRIFF10672

that's a gorgeous ride ...... but I couldn't see driving that in the winter ( I would be afraid of ruining it )

That's why I have a van and a 2005 Trailblazer....Another unreliable Chevy...LOL

• Members

Funny...

R5.jpg
R3.jpg

Are you on LS2.com? I know I've seen that SS somewhere before. Do you go to Englishtown?

• Members

Oh, I forgot to add......

If you are under 25 and don't have a perfect driving record...Forget the TA.....

Your insurance will cost about $3500

and that's if your lucky ....

the Altima would be the best bet all around for cash purposes and total all year reliability ...

plus if your buying it from your parents .. you know who has been driving it ( which IMO is just a huge asset .

• Members

You know exactly what's wrong with the Altima. You know how it handles, you know its quirks.

You could always rice-out the Altima...

BTW, why the {censored} would anyone buy a used sports car?

People rag the {censored} out of them day and night. You have no idea what kind of problems you're getting into...

• Members

Originally posted by keithb

buy Japanese.

• Members
Originally posted by steve2500hd

Are you on LS2.com? I know I've seen that SS somewhere before. Do you go to Englishtown?

I haven't been on those sites in a while.
I go to Englishtown all the time.
I bring this and my Chevelle...:D
There are a bunch of pics of my car floating around.
The original owner also had a website with tons of pics of it and all the mods he did....
After I got it, I changed the interior, and added a Venom computer controlled N2O kit along with reprogramming and a few internal tweaks...
Steve

Archived