*** Saw Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson Monday Night ***

maz_master

• Members

I hear some of the points here....
I always loved Vai the best at the G3 tours...
JP simply bores the living {censored} out of me. But with EJ, that was a great show from all 3.
I've always liked Satches recordings more than live. And my favorite is Not of This Earth....
EJ's tone has gotten alot worse from what I remember...probably since he sold his mysterious Dumbles...LOL
Sometimes Satch live can be a bit boring, but not nearly as sleep inducing as JP and YJM...
IMHO
Steve

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by FSU Seminoles

I prefer Satch to the other guys. One thing that's great about Satch is that he can give great guitar lessons without playing guitar a whole lot. Just by telling how he understands guitar playing is really great. Also, he doesn't have to play a million scales and arpegios and whatnot in order to express what he has to say.

I think his understanding of his instrument is definately "better", for lack of a better word, than any of those other guys. One song that stood out for me was the Little Wing jam on the G3 in Denver show. Yngwie's lick sucks ass, Vai's is ok but nothing special and Satch's is simple but works out great in the song.

Satch's Starry Night was great also on that Denver show. For the last G3 show in Tokyo I loved his set. The part when he starts playing Machine Gun is nice and War is great too. I like Vai a lot, but for me Satch plays "better" music overall.

For you "better" might equal simpler, that's fair, I'm defninately not even close of most of you as far as guitar playing goes but overall I think Satch makes great stuff that's sweet to listen to at any time of the day.

Satch is more of a Melody writer and more commercialized. It's easier to listen to.

Vai on the other hand is way more like his true teacher Zappa...

He's way ahead of his time with technique and writing.

People in 20 years will be saying,"Oh, I get it now"

All are great players and have their place...and they know where that is...

Steve

• Members
Originally posted by Sty1es

I saw him Sunday night in Detroit.

That intro to Cliffs was the finest guitar playing I'd ever heard, in my whole entire life, bar none. Tear jerking, throat choaking guitar playing I had NEVER witnessed or heard before, ever.

That's exactly what I was telling the people I was with that night. I agree with you. :thu:

BTW, I grew up in Detroit!

• Members
Originally posted by Paul VanJohnson

I know what you mean about the Cliffs intro. The first time I saw him do that live he was playing a fairly small club back in the mid '80s and it literally brought tears to my eyes. I actually like his laid-back stage presence too.

:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by ratter

I'm reading this a lot this past week....anybody know if there are any boots available??

I was planning on seeing them here but totally forgot about it until 30 minutes before showtime. I busted ass over there (no ticket), but it was sold out when I got there. Damn!!

You missed something totally unreal. I'm 47, grew up in Detroit, traveled the US, spent my adult life in Rochester, NY (another big music town) and have seen nearly every great guitarist who just about ever lived ;), but have never been moved by anything as much as that intro.

• Members

Originally posted by daver102

I caught the Cleveland show on Saturday night. I did not get that he thought he was a guitar god. It really looked like he was having a good time, and the crowd certainly bought it. His persona, the bald head and the sunglasses, may put some people off, but I actually like it better than when he had hair.

As far as being able to play like that with more practice, OK, maybe. But I doubt many could put together tunes that were as melodic and memorable.

Just my .02

Most of his tunes during the show were NOT that melodic or memorable...very, very boring.

• Members

Originally posted by SteveVHT

I hear some of the points here....

I always loved Vai the best at the G3 tours...

JP simply bores the living {censored} out of me. But with EJ, that was a great show from all 3.

I've always liked Satches recordings more than live. And my favorite is Not of This Earth....

EJ's tone has gotten alot worse from what I remember...probably since he sold his mysterious Dumbles...LOL

Sometimes Satch live can be a bit boring, but not nearly as sleep inducing as JP and YJM...

IMHO

Steve

JP bores me too. Unbelievable technique, but no depth. His stuff would have impressed me as a teenager or a 20-something, but not now. JS just didn't have the depth to hold my interest either. Yngwie holds it longer, but not like a Scott Henderson or Robben Ford or Joe Pass or even some of the real simple, but soulful "roots" players. Also, there are half a dozen local cats I'd rather see than JS in a heartbeat.

• Members
Originally posted by SteveVHT

Vai on the other hand is way more like his true teacher Zappa...

He's way ahead of his time with technique and writing.

People in 20 years will be saying,"Oh, I get it now"

Steve

Well, maybe some weirdos that paint LSD visuals on RG bodies.:thu:

He will eventually be recognized as a god for NOT being understood. Out of ALL players, ever... he is the only true musical phenom, IMO. A true god, nothing before, and nothing after. He's right up there with Mozart/Chopin in my opinion. The every 200 year natural born gift to music, with talents even the talented can only incapably describe, let alon expand upon.

• Members

Originally posted by maz_master

Most of his tunes during the show were NOT that melodic or memorable...very, very boring.

I'll disagree with that statement, but it's all subjective anyway.

You still live in Rochester? I grew up there.

• Members

Hey did he do the song close to the end of the set, where he'd play a riff/chord, tap the harmonics and let it ring for a second before going into the rest of the riff, which included the same technique. I'm dying to find out what that song was. It was a pretty mid tempo'd song and in a major scale from what i remember...

• Members

You missed something totally unreal. I'm 47, grew up in Detroit, traveled the US, spent my adult life in Rochester, NY (another big music town) and have seen nearly every great guitarist who just about ever lived
;)
, but have never been moved by anything as much as that intro.

Detroit? You should know then Jim McCarty .....one of the greatest players I ever heard.

EJ's tone has been reduced to a sputtering mess. I don't know what the problem is. It's not the missing Dumble, which was retired decades ago.....which was only his crunch amp anyway.

I've posted EJ audio, jamming with Robbin Ford, and Alien Love Child. It drops pages in a few hours. Nobody is interested.

I'm currently transferring my video collection to DVD, so maybe I can get stuff up on the pc.
I got a few Cliffs intros......rare G3 stuff and tons of Satch.

How about Satch calling out Mick Jagger for a killer Red House encore?

Anyway, Satch is one of the only guys I can watch 2 hours of at one sitting. EJ too.
Satch turns guitar techniques into melodic songs. Plenty of Satriani's tunes are memorable. Only beef with him is his current tones. If you heard him in the 80's with Marshall Jubalee's, he had awesome tones.

• Members

Damn. Wouldn't mind seeing this show and it's coming to Baltimore next Monday! Man, {censored}ing in-laws will be here AND I'm starting a new job Monday. Not sure I can get out in time to hump it over to B-more for show time.

Regarding EJ's tone, I really do think its lack of consistency has to do with the complexity of his finicky setup. Last time I saw him, his crunch and lead tones were amazing, but the cleans had a terrible buzz...I mean the buzz was as loud or louder than the notes being played. They got it fixed after 2-3 songs, but you could tell it kinda pissed him off and affected his playing for a while.

I won't bash on Satch here, but I agree it's a weird pairing...especially when I went to look for tickets and saw the enormous Satch picture with the tiny "Special guest: Eric Johnson" written below. What a joke.

• Members

I'm going to the 4/29 show here in Houston. This will be my third time seeing EJ, and my second time seeing Satch. EJ never fails to impress me. Despite the fact that I have been playing for 16 years, every time I see Eric I feel like a beginner. His tone and his note choice are simply amazing.

As for Satch... the only thing he does that I'd like to pick up on is the cool pinch harmonic thing over the pickups that just sounds wicked. I can't quite figure out how he does it. Once I do though... I'll be done with learning anything for him. Flying and Always With You are the only two songs I really like by him.

• Members

Originally posted by carlygtr56

Detroit? You should know then Jim McCarty .....one of the greatest players I ever heard.

EJ's tone has been reduced to a sputtering mess. I don't know what the problem is. It's not the missing Dumble, which was retired decades ago.....which was only his crunch amp anyway.

I've posted EJ audio, jamming with Robbin Ford, and Alien Love Child. It drops pages in a few hours. Nobody is interested.

I'm currently transferring my video collection to DVD, so maybe I can get stuff up on the pc.

Anyway, Satch is one of the only guys I can watch 2 hours of at one sitting. EJ too.

Satch turns guitar techniques into melodic songs. Plenty of Satriani's tunes are memorable. Only beef with him is his current tones. If you heard him in the 80's with Marshall Jubalee's, he had awesome tones.

Carl, I for one am extremely interested in hearing that EJ audio you said you posted. Problem is, I can't find it! Could you please post a link? Also, if you wanted to post some more it'd be appreciated greatly by me! Thanks man.

• Members

Wow - not alot of love for Satch. I thought he was awesome!

Tell me about it! Joe's really takin' a beatin' today! :confused:

I've seen him and Eric Johnson several times and thought they were both great. As great as Eric is, his playing definetely leaves something to be desired in the 'feel' department. He's not robotic per se, but there's something 'stiff' about his playing. Almost too perfect. Joe on the other hand, is a blast to see live and has much better feel IMHO. I think what's being overlooked is the fact that Joe isn't just a shredder, he's a phenomenal songwriter as well. In short, both guys kick ass! :thu:

• Members

My interpretation of that whole thing is that Satch is just trying to put on a good show. In interviews I've read/seen, he comes off as VERY humble.

Well, maybe that's true. Maybe I got the wrong impression. Whatever teh case, people seemed to love it. He got a far bigger/longer standing ovation than EJ did....

But I'm pretty sure that the reason he's headlining and EJ is opening has a lot to do with his sunglasses and 'guitar faces' and the simple sing-song melodies. Fair or not...that's the way it goes...

....which you just explained above!

• Members

I'll disagree with that statement, but it's all subjective anyway.

You still live in Rochester? I grew up there.

Yep, it's all subjective! But, I do really like some of his tunes...mainly the older stuff. But, most of his more recent material is just unbelievably....trite...I guess.

Yes, I'm still in Rochester. When did you leave?

• Members

Wow, never heard of him....but that's not unusual. Some of the best players on the planet are guys most of us will never hear of. We got a local guy named Dave Profeta who is just amazing. Joe Chiaponne is another one. Then, I just ran across this big, tall, soft-spoken black dude named "Art" who did the Benson thing, including scat, better than Benson...and I've seen Benson live many times. My ex-wife's girlfriend was Earl Klugh's girlfriend in the mid-70's, so we hung out with Earl Klugh occasionally and got to see Benson up close and personal whenever he came to town. This "Art" dude here in Rochester just blows him away, at his own thing! Really jaw-dropping Benson-style jazz.

That's the perfect description, Carl! What the hell? But, it's not like that all the time during the show. His single-note, higher gain solo tone during the Cliffs intro was gorgeous....the familiar smooth, rich violin tone. Man, I plugged into my Flexi this past weekend and cranked it up into my Airbrake and got a very similar creamy, violin tone. It really ain't all that hard to do! I'll never come close to playing like EJ, but getting some of his better tones is not a mystery...not with the gear that's available these days.

Post some of that stuff again, bro! I'd love to see that. Keep in mind that this forum has changed over to more of a modern metal forum in the last few years. We're old farts, man. ;)

Hey, man, I know plenty of really good players who just love Satch...and, for the same reasons you describe. I loved maybe 3-4 of the tunes he did and there were moments during a few others where he was just brilliant. Hell, "Satch Boogie" blew me away as much as it did the first time I heard it. He improvised the solo and played it better than the original recording. It was awesome! He gave me chills on "Always with You". But, overall, he just didn't hold my attention and he was just too much in your face all night. But, it's subjective. I have two guitar player buddies from work who were mesmerized during the whole show and proclaimed him God the next day in the office, but just did not seem to "get" EJ at all. Tough to explain, but music is about touching people, so you can't claim "rightness" or "wrongness" in this issue. If someone is touched and moved by certain music, how can anybody say they're wrong for feeling that way?!! :confused: I'm not trying to say that at all, but can't claim the same feelings by the same stimulus.

• Members

Wow, never heard of him....but that's not unusual. Some of the best players on the planet are guys most of us will never hear of. We got a local guy named Dave Profeta who is just amazing. Joe Chiaponne is another one. Then, I just ran across this big, tall, soft-spoken black dude named "Art" who did the Benson thing, including scat, better than Benson...and I've seen Benson live many times. My ex-wife's girlfriend was Earl Klugh's girlfriend in the mid-70's, so we hung out with Earl Klugh occasionally and got to see Benson up close and personal whenever he came to town. This "Art" dude here in Rochester just blows him away, at his own thing! Really jaw-dropping Benson-style jazz.

That's the perfect description, Carl! What the hell? But, it's not like that all the time during the show. His single-note, higher gain solo tone during the Cliffs intro was gorgeous....the familiar smooth, rich violin tone. Man, I plugged into my Flexi this past weekend and cranked it up into my Airbrake and got a very similar creamy, violin tone. It really ain't all that hard to do! I'll never come close to
playing
like EJ, but getting some of his better tones is not a mystery...not with the gear that's available these days.

Post some of that stuff again, bro! I'd love to see that. Keep in mind that this forum has changed over to more of a modern metal forum in the last few years. We're old farts, man.
;)

Hey, man, I know plenty of really good players who just love Satch...and, for the same reasons you describe. I loved maybe 3-4 of the tunes he did and there were moments during a few others where he was just brilliant. Hell, "Satch Boogie" blew me away as much as it did the first time I heard it. He improvised the solo and played it better than the original recording. It was awesome! He gave me chills on "Always with You". But, overall, he just didn't hold my attention and he was just too much in your face all night. But, it's subjective. I have two guitar player buddies from work who were mesmerized during the whole show and proclaimed him God the next day in the office, but just did not seem to "get" EJ at all. Tough to explain, but music is about touching people, so you can't claim "rightness" or "wrongness" in this issue. If someone is touched and moved by certain music, how can anybody say they're wrong for feeling that way?!!
:confused:
I'm not trying to say that at all, but can't claim the same feelings by the same stimulus.

Jim McCarty was in Buddy Miles Express.....CACTUS!!! still in Detroit playing blues.

The EJ stuff is in my sig....

• Members
Originally posted by rog951

Damn. Wouldn't mind seeing this show and it's coming to Baltimore next Monday! Man, {censored}ing in-laws will be here AND I'm starting a new job Monday. Not sure I can get out in time to hump it over to B-more for show time.

Regarding EJ's tone, I really do think its lack of consistency has to do with the complexity of his finicky setup. Last time I saw him, his crunch and lead tones were amazing, but the cleans had a terrible buzz...I mean the buzz was as loud or louder than the notes being played. They got it fixed after 2-3 songs, but you could tell it kinda pissed him off and affected his playing for a while.

I won't bash on Satch here, but I agree it's a weird pairing...especially when I went to look for tickets and saw the enormous Satch picture with the tiny "Special guest: Eric Johnson" written below. What a joke.

:thu:

Yeah, it was a weird show in Buffalo. I don't know if it was the location or what, but probably 90% of the people there were old, burned-out hippies or "white trash" types. God, I know it sounds aweful to say that and I don't mean it to be derogatory, but I don't know how else to describe it. It was the kind of crowd that got up out of their seats when Satch did Chuck Berry licks and got feedback, but sat there largely uninterested while EJ channeled music from the angels in heaven during his Cliffs intro.

Archived