Using two eq's

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

anybody here do this? I've heard that running one in front and one in the loop is definitely a cool thing... is there a trick to it? I imagine dialing both in the same way is kinda pointless... do you bypass the one in the loop untill after you've got your guitar nailed down, or vice versa? I'm very interested in this, I have not honestly messed around with EQ's much and I have a 2 channel rack EQ coming as we speak... Share your secrets!

• Members

i have never tried anything with two eqs, but i think the one in front could be used as a low frequency cut to clear the overall amp sound from mud, while the other in the loop would be for the actual tone shaping.

have fun experimenting!

• Members

Yeah I've done it but I only use an eq before the amp now. The eq in the loop is the one that affects the major tone character and shaping. I would set that one first. Then the eq before the amp can be set for a mid boost which adds a LOT of tightness and sparkle to the sound and helps it cut also.

• Members

I kind of run 3

I run the Ross EQ in the loop and I love it.

Then I put the BBE between the pre and poweramp. This kind of just cleans the entire signal up. I run the knobs pretty low.

Then I also of course use the VERY useful eq on the mesa preamp. What I main do is EQ it to taste on the rhythm section with the Ross EQ, then put the preamp EQ to only be used on the lead. makes up for a shared parametric EQ on the preamp.

• Members

'Been down that road. I've tried graphic eq's in my racks years ago But unless you have a Mesa Mark amp with one built in, less is more eq wise I think.

I think if you need to eq the piss out of your gear, you have the wrong amp fer' the sound you want.

I could be wrong.

:wave:

• Members

I've read a lot about eq'ing before the amp with a parametric eq, and after with a graphic. I guess a parametric lets you change your tone gradually whereas a graphic is fairly abrupt. I've tried with a 1 band p eq, but didn't seem to do too much for me, I think you need at least a 3 band.

• Members

Unfortuantely, no one seems to make a parametric EQ that is practical and suitable for use imbetween the guitar and amp. That'd definitely be my preference. There is a new Electro Harmonix EQ pedal that could potential be useful, but it is a bit expensive and only the mids are parametric.

I use a Fish & Chips imbetween my guitar and Pod for use with my amp. I cut 100 Hz and 200 Hz and boost 800 Hz and 1.6 kHz. It clears and tightens it up immensly.

I'd surely benefit from another in the loop, but I don't trust my amp's loop hehe. My Pod always sound horrendous plugged into it.

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

Unfortuantely, no one seems to make a parametric EQ that is practical and suitable for use imbetween the guitar and amp. That'd definitely be my preference. There is a new Electro Harmonix EQ pedal that could potential be useful, but it is a bit expensive and only the mids are parametric.

I use a Fish & Chips imbetween my guitar and Pod for use with my amp. I cut 100 Hz and 200 Hz and boost 800 Hz and 1.6 kHz. It clears and tightens it up immensly.

I'd surely benefit from another in the loop, but I don't trust my amp's loop hehe. My Pod always sound horrendous plugged into it.

The Carl Martin 3 Band Parametric Pre-Amp looks like a good one, everybody seems to like it. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Terrorizer

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You beat me by seconds...

LoL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

Your the one who introduced me to it in the first place over a year ago, and guess what, I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN ONE YET!

But I likely will eventually! :D

• Members

Originally posted by Grind Cruncher

Your the one who introduced me to it in the first place over a year ago, and guess what, I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN ONE YET!

But I likely will eventually!
:D

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some day eeh....

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

Unfortuantely, no one seems to make a parametric EQ that is practical and suitable for use imbetween the guitar and amp. That'd definitely be my preference.

If you're willing to go rack there're tons. :)

• Members

I run a GE-7 out front and another in the loop of some of my amps. The one out front gets used as a clean boost most of the time but I will sometimes use it for tone shaping too. It does well as long as I keep the sliders in check. I will often lower everything below 0 and get my curve and then use the level to even things out like I want them. I am speaking of the one out front. It can get noisy in a chain with other pedals. That goes for any eq, not just the GE-7. The one in the loop is more useful.

Archived