OT: Tonight's SOUTH PARK

anonymousalien1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by JonathanD

I wonder if Comedy Central actually DID refuse to show the image.

That is probably an accurate assumption. Those bastards! Matt and Trey are dead on point. We need not tolerate the intolerant. Telling me I can't depict what I want to is no different than telling me I can't play tritones. Once you are in you can't leave? That's not a religion--its servitude. Rant off (for now).

• Members

Originally posted by Allthewayto11

That is probably an accurate assumption. Those bastards! Matt and Trey are dead on point. We need not tolerate the intolerant. Telling me I can't depict what I want to is no different than telling me I can't play tritones. Once you are in you can't leave? That's not a religion--its servitude. Rant off (for now).

what the hell are you talking about...

first, i didn't hear any assumptions, he asked a question. i'd bet Matt & Trey cut that in themselves, since it was {censored}ing funny.

it's a fairly basic precept of the Muslim faith that there should be no depictions of Muhammad, i don't know what's wrong about that, or intolerant. it's just as "intolerant" for us not to respect their ideas about Muhammad as it is for them not to respect our first amendment. and i dont' know where you got the "once you are in you can't leave" thing.

• Members

Originally posted by bullhead

what the hell are you talking about...

it's a fairly basic precept of the Muslim faith that there should be no depictions of Muhammad, i don't know what's wrong about that, or intolerant. it's just as "intolerant" for us not to respect their ideas about Muhammad as it is for them not to respect our first amendment. and i dont' know where you got the "once you are in you can't leave" thing.

The "once you are in you can't leave" has to do with the Pakistani muslim who converted to christianity and rec'd a death sentence because of it. The intolerence of which I speak is at a much higher level. We too often take for granted the fact that we can pretty much do and say what we want to here in the US. When people threaten to kill you (and in some instances do kill you) because you exercise those rights, it is the harshest form of intolerence I can think of. Live and let live is the essence of tolerance. Live until someone who doesn't think like you pisses you off and their death somehow becomes justified kinda cuts against the concept of tolerance. I was raised Catholic but I do not have a problem with people poking fun at it. Maybe there is some correlation between tolerance and a sense of humor. :p

• Members

We too often take for granted the fact that we can pretty much do and say what we want to here in the US. When people threaten to kill you (and in some instances do kill you) because you exercise those rights, it is the harshest form of intolerence I can think of.

maybe... but what does that have to do with the South Park episode?

in the case presented in the episode, Fox would have been just as wrong for being totally intolerant of the Muslims by showing an image of Muhammad, as the Muslims would have been for ignoring our rights to free speech.

• Members

in the case presented in the episode, Fox would have been just as wrong for being totally intolerant of the Muslims by showing an image of Muhammad, as the Muslims would have been for ignoring our rights to free speech.

no way.

muslim news papers have cartoons about jews ALL THE TIME..

screw them...

• Members

I obviously have an entirely different perception of the message from this show. So its ok to show blood flying out of a statue of the Virgin Mary and have the Pope proclaim "Not a miracle--women bleed out of their vaginas every day" or to depict Jesus as a talk show host, but it is intolerant to show any image of Muhammad, even though Matt and Trey aren't muslims? What am I missing folks?

• Members

I obviously have an entirely different perception of the message from this show. So its ok to show blood flying out of a statue of the Virgin Mary and have the Pope proclaim "Not a miracle--women bleed out of their vaginas every day" or to depict Jesus as a talk show host, but it is intolerant to show any image of Muhammad, even though Matt and Trey aren't muslims? What am I missing folks?

Not a thing, you are a true believer in free speech.

People need to grow up and realize that you cant control other people, I accept it, you can make fun of my race background, beliefs, etc, I dont take it personaly cuz it's human nature :idea:

• Members

you're missing that in no place in Catholicism is it explicitly stated that Jesus shouldn't be shown, or the Virgin Mary, or the Pope. it's a pretty basic thing, just don't show Muhammad, i don't get why it's that hard. Trey and Matt seemed perfectly fine with not showing him, and you're using them as the example.

also note that the "Bloody Mary" has been pulled from Comedy Central's rotation, and they've publicly stated that they'll never air it again.

• Members

also note that the "Bloody Mary" has been pulled from Comedy Central's rotation, and they've publicly stated that they'll never air it again.

What's that?

edit: oh...the episode where the statue bleeds out of her vagina.

• Members

Um, they've aired it multiple times and never said they won't air it again. I've heard the same BS rumors about the Scientology episode. They show it.

• Members

BTW....

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth." Exodus 20-4

South Park has created many of these images from when we first saw God a few years back to the many depictions of Heaven in previous episodes. Your argument is flawed bullhead.

• Members

Originally posted by Code-001

BTW....

"
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above
, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth." Exodus 20-4

South Park has created many of these images from when we first saw God a few years back to the many depictions of Heaven in previous episodes. Your argument is flawed bullhead.

this is taken to mean don't worship these things. If you want to draw a picture of God, go for it.

• Members

Um, they've aired it multiple times and never said they won't air it again. I've heard the same BS rumors about the Scientology episode. They show it.

no. they don't. they Scientology episode has twice been replaced within 24 hours of its scheduled airing. they aired both of them the week they were originally released, but that's it. with the Scientology episode, Tom Cruise basically told Paramount, who is responsible for Mission: Impossible 3 and owns Comedy Central, that he won't promote the movie if the episode airs and poof, it's gone.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Mary_(South_Park)

"When Comedy Central re-aired all the episodes from South Park's Fall 2005 season on December 28, Bloody Mary was noticeably absent from the broadcast. Comedy Central responded to e-mail inquiries about the fate of the episode with the assurance that Bloody Mary has not been retired and would not be pulled from the DVD release.[3] However, still missing are screen captures from the episode on Comedy Central's press site and the South Park section of comedycentral.com.[4]"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park#Scientology_Scuffle

"Dubbed 'Closetgate' by the Los Angeles Times, the controversy continued as Comedy Central pulled the "Trapped in the Closet" episode at the last minute from a scheduled repeat on March 15th, 2006. It was alleged that Tom Cruise threatened Paramount with withdrawal from promotion of his latest film Mission Impossible 3 if the episode was broadcast."

• Members

I almost got pissed off (while laughing about it, though) when that Terance and Phillip thing came on. I thought they were pulling the same thing tonight they did on the Cartman's Father sequel. I was thinking they did it again, but I still thought they might have been doing this to get a rise out of the audience. It was funny when it went back to the show :D. Viewers got PISSED OFF when they pulled that stunt the first time. They got alot of flack and hate mail over that.

• Members

BTW....

"
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above
, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth." Exodus 20-4

kinda, except using that scripture quote doesn't hold water. God is displayed on the ceiling in the {censored}ing SISTINE CHAPEL! so only devout Catholics can create depictions of god? hell, there's an ASSLOAD of pre-renaissance art which displays god or Jesus, and every church i've ever been in has A) a crucifix which displays Jesus B) stained glass windows which have {censored}loads of similar imagery.

• Members

you're missing that in no place in Catholicism is it explicitly stated that Jesus shouldn't be shown, or the Virgin Mary, or the Pope. it's a pretty basic thing, just don't show Muhammad, i don't get why it's that hard. Trey and Matt seemed perfectly fine with not showing him, and you're using them as the example.

There are several "dont's" in the Catholic doctrine that happen every day, but I'm not apt to threaten anyone with death because of it. There's not one trump card for this discussion. Someone else is welcome to pick up the torch.

Archived