3 Clips, 3 Amps - You match 'em

sah5150

• Members
Originally posted by sah5150

It is so hard to remember now and we were mostly listening to combinations of amps, except for the UL which we recorded first. I dunno man... I just panned the two different tracks or each amp/mic left and right, got decent levels, and bounced to disk. What you are hearing in these clips sounds like what I just heard in the Mackies when I was bouncing these earlier today...

Steve

You can disregard that question. I had amps 1 and 3 mixed up because I was numbering them based on their order in the Firefox download manager.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by Bob Savage

#3, which I was calling #1, then #2, then #1.

Wow... So you like the MKIV better than the 5150II... Interesting...

I like the 5150II best as currently recorded, but I think with more high end, I'd like the VHT UL best...

Steve

• Members

Wow... So you like the MKIV better than the 5150II... Interesting...

I like the 5150II best as currently recorded, but I think with more high end, I'd like the VHT UL best...

Steve

It (MKIV) needs more top end, but I like the voicing better. It had more of a percussiveness and bark to it, which I like.

The UL is at your disposal, and since it only takes a few minutes to record, we can add some presence and treble next time I'm over, and re-do it.

• Members

It (MKIV) needs more top end, but I like the voicing better. It had more of a percussiveness and bark to it, which I like.

The UL is at your disposal, and since it only takes a few minutes to record, we can add some presence and treble next time I'm over, and re-do it.

:thu:

Sounds good... I just have this feeling that there is some mix/combination of these amps that will sound amazing, but at this point, I like the individual amp clips better than the combination one we did friday...

Steve

• Members

:thu:

Sounds good... I just have this feeling that there is some mix/combination of these amps that will sound amazing, but at this point, I like the individual amp clips better than the combination one we did friday...

Steve

I agree, although, I'm just wondering if it's not the MKIV (or UL, however, since it's not yours it might be "weird" ...) and the 5150, rather than all 3. But, that can only be determined by spending a good amount of time mixing and listening back.

• Members

I agree, although, I'm just wondering if it's not the MKIV (or UL, however, since it's not yours it might be "weird" ...) and the 5150, rather than all 3. But, that can only be determined by spending a good amount of time mixing and listening back.

Oh, I agree. I didn't mean all 3 amps necessarily. And I agree that I should be able to get there with the 5150 and the MKIV...

Steve

• Members
Originally posted by SlyStrat

Its not a fair race if you used a pedal.

I wouldn't see why not. I clearly stated that I used the pedal on the rhythm channel of the 5150II and frankly, the 5150II has enough gain on the lead channel to produce that tone...

Steve

• Members
Originally posted by SlyStrat

Huh? The pedal changes the true tone. None or all should have a pedal.

It depends what you're trying to accomplish. In this case, I believe Steve is trying to find the best "metal" tone out of each amp. If it was a "what amp sounds best" then I would agree, sticking a pedal in front of one to give it an advantage would be "unfair."

• Members

It depends what you're trying to accomplish. In this case, I believe Steve is trying to find the best "metal" tone out of each amp. If it was a "what amp sounds best" then I would agree, sticking a pedal in front of one to give it an advantage would be "unfair."

Yeah, this wasn't a "which amp is better" thread. It was a which tone do you like best and match the clips to the amp thread. You could argue that the boost would make it hard to match the amps to the clips, but most people here were easily able to pick out the 5150, even with the boost...

Steve

• Members

Doh, you already gave the answers. I got all wrong :D

But i agree that dialing plays a great role.. I dont remember who exactly (could be zapman?) had MKIV clips with somewhat similar genre i think and they kicked some major ass!

• Members
Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Steve, what were your 5150 settings on that? You remember? Also what kind of guitar and cab were you using?

Sure. Here ya go:

Schecter Hellraiser 7 string on bridge pickup (EMG 707) ->

Keeley-modded TS-9 ->
Drive - 10 o'clock
Tone - 10:30
Level - 1 o'clock

5150II ->
Rhythm Channel
Bright in
Crunch in
Pre - 7.4
Low - 6.8
Mid - 4
High - 6.3
Post - 3.4
Resonance - 8.2
Presence - 8.5

Mojave 4x12 w/G12H30s ->

Audix I5 ->
SM57 ->

Recorder

There were two different physical guitar performances, each of which was reamped and mic'd with both mics. Performance one of each mic was panned hard left. Performance two of each mic was panned hard right.

All guitars bussed to the Waves C4 using a tweaked version of Andy Sneap's posted setting, a gate for noise and then out to the monitors. Added a small room reverb and that is it.

Steve

• Members

Sure. Here ya go:

Schecter Hellraiser 7 string on bridge pickup (EMG 707) ->

Keeley-modded TS-9 ->

Drive - 10 o'clock

Tone - 10:30

Level - 1 o'clock

5150II ->

Rhythm Channel

Bright in

Crunch in

Pre - 7.4

Low - 6.8

High - 6.3

Post - 3.4

Resonance - 8.2

Presence - 8.5

Mojave 4x12 w/G12H30s ->

Audix I5 ->

SM57 ->

Dude, how are you going to patent those settings if you keep giving them out? :confused::freak: