2 15's in Bassman cab for gtr -- what problems?

Jacked

• Members

What are the drawbacks to playing guitar through the 2 * 15 Bassman cab my 68 Bassman came with? It sounds great to me but I've heard others talk about the larger speakers being slower in response than say a 12" speaker would be and this possibly causing a problem.

The other question, the cab sounds find, but these are 38 year old speakers, should I replace em before I blow em? I know they age and get physically weaker, right?

What's been your experience?

Thanks all.

• Members

Originally posted by Jacked

What are the drawbacks to playing guitar through the 2 * 15 Bassman cab my 68 Bassman came with? It sounds great to me but I've heard others talk about the larger speakers being slower in response than say a 12" speaker would be and this possibly causing a problem.

The other question, the cab sounds find, but these are 38 year old speakers, should I replace em before I blow em? I know they age and get physically weaker, right?

What's been your experience?

Thanks all.

If you like the sound who cares if other people think they're slow?

If you like the sound then why change the speakers and change it?

• Members

I agree with your angle that it's good to have a unique sound and if I like it who cares what anyone else thinks, and for clarification I'd have to say I was asking more for technical/practical reasons...

To your first point: I haven't played them with my bandmates yet, only alone. My question is what kind of problems will I have when I do, if any.

To your second: someday I may sell it. It currently has the original speakers in it. If I'm in danger of blowing the originals, I might take them out and preserve them in case I ever sell it (which would make it more valuable to someone wanting originality).

• Members

To your second: someday I may sell it. It currently has the original speakers in it. If I'm in danger of blowing the originals, I might take them out and preserve them in case I ever sell it (which would make it more valuable to someone wanting originality).

Are you buying it to use it or are you buying it to sell it?

The way I see it is that if you are buying it for your personal use then it makes little sense to worry about what someone else who might not even exists in a time that is uncertain, thinks about it.

• Members

I am buying it to play, in the hopes that it's a lifetime keeper. But as we all know, not every piece of gear we bring home turns out to be one of those.

And as a guy who has to budget carefully to get gear, I want to preserve the value of the amp in case it ain't a keeper.

While I respect and GET your opinion, I'd like to hear from someone who has experience with this particular problem and what they did about it in practical terms, not just opinions about how I should view the amp. Thanks.

• Members

I am buying it to play, in the hopes that it's a lifetime keeper. But as we all know, not every piece of gear we bring home turns out to be one of those.

And as a guy who has to budget carefully to get gear, I want to preserve the value of the amp in case it ain't a keeper.

While I respect and GET your opinion, I'd like to hear from someone who has experience with this particular problem and what they did about it in practical terms, not just opinions about how I should view the amp. Thanks.

That's a good idea to pull the drivers and keep them safe. Make sure you put guitar speakers in and not true bass/PA models when you choose replacements.

• Members

some like 10s some like 12s and some like 15s- to me it is no different a concept as the rectifiers which also can alter response time. I like a set of 10s with a 5ug4 and 15s with a ss rectifier. So it really depends on the whole rig and not just one part of it. I don`t see a fender2x15 being more than a player so if you like the speakers play em.

Archived