Good (cheap!) way to record ideas w/o PC?

ScottIans Beard

• Members

Quite often i come up with my inspiration at the wierdest times (and often just before i have to go somewhere!) so i need a way of recording them without firing up Cubase. Anyone got an suggestions?

I have a zoom PS-02, but i think i lost it :freak: and it was a real pain the arse to use anyway.

Any suggestions?

• Members

I don't have any experiences with either of those, but if you just want something to quickly 'jot' something down with the intention of re-recording it into Cubase later then pretty much anything will do, even a cheap tape recorder.

• Members
Originally posted by AgentOrange

wanna buy my ps02? Ive been too lazy to ebay it for a while

When are you playing guitar and not in your house then? Good that youre playing again though

James

I still have my PS-02 somewhere, but its junk!

I find that the only ideas i have occur in the shower about 10 minutes before i have to go somewhere (work, out etc!)

EDIT: Shouldnt you be revising ;):D

• Members

Originally posted by MCon

I don't have any experiences with either of those, but if you just want something to quickly 'jot' something down with the intention of re-recording it into Cubase later then pretty much anything will do, even a cheap tape recorder.

I wanna create a library of riffs/licks and ideas that i can go back to and build on easily, which is why digital or MD is appealing to me, sound quality isnt a major issue though

• Members

Originally posted by ScottIans Beard

I still have my PS-02 somewhere, but its junk!

I find that the only ideas i have occur in the shower about 10 minutes before i have to go somewhere (work, out etc!)

get a tab book, my dad got me one ages ago and i never used it untill now. Its probably completely indecipherable to anyone but me, but when i cant be arsed to get up and play with cubase, i just write it down the old fashioned way. No idea where he got it but you must be able to find it somewhere in london. You did music GCSE so you should be able to write the stuff properly

http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/P/2937/GUITAR+TAB

Itll make you look clever on the tube aswell

James

• Members

get a tab book, my dad got me one ages ago and i never used it untill now. Its probably completely indecipherable to anyone but me, but when i cant be arsed to get up and play with cubase, i just write it down the old fashioned way. No idea where he got it but you must be able to find it somewhere in london. You did music GCSE so you should be able to write the stuff properly

James

I was thinking about doing this as well, except ive ALWAYS had problems writing/playing rhythms correctly for notation. Half the time i cant even work out what rhythms ive written, let alone trying to sightread

• Members

I was thinking about doing this as well, except ive ALWAYS had problems writing/playing rhythms correctly for notation. Half the time i cant even work out what rhythms ive written, let alone trying to sightread

well me too, in guitar pro its fine, but ive kinda come up with my own notation. If someone else were to pick it up theyd have no idea what im on about other than the chords, but it makes sense to me and is usually enough to remind me of what i was playing so i can record it when i do have time. Or just sneak guitar pro onto your pc at work and write there, its the best way to compose stuff if you cant record easily

James

• Members

Does your mobile phone have a sound recorder feature? When I get ideas for songs - often when I'm away from home, it's one device that I invariably have on me, and so I hum/sing the ideas straight in. I can also easily speak any ideas I have for arrangements, orchestration etc straight into the sound file. It may well work for your guitar ideas too? Recommended! :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/P/2937/GUITAR+TAB

James

Ah yes, the Ernie Ball white elephant...

istockphoto_288024_80_s_faded_looseleaf_

Those lines always worked pretty well for me.

• Members
Originally posted by Dann'sTheMan

Does your mobile phone have a sound recorder feature? When I get ideas for songs - often when I'm away from home, it's one device that I invariably have on me, and so I hum/sing the ideas straight in. I can also easily speak any ideas I have for arrangements, orchestration etc straight into the sound file. It may well work for your guitar ideas too? Recommended!
:)

Big smiles,

Andy.

Andy,

Thanks for the tip, im pretty sure my phone does have a voice recorder!

• Members

Andy,

Thanks for the tip, im pretty sure my phone does have a voice recorder!

Glad to help. Here's are a couple of further mobile phone tips:

* simply record the open string notes of a guitar tuned to concert pitch - to help with tuning in all kinds of scenarios.

* record the intervals between notes in a scale (minor third, major third, fifth etc.), and use the recording to help train you ear.

Big smiles,

Andy.

Archived