Cheap-fun pieces of gear

jskpongoui

• Members

$440 is enough for a computer that will run currently released software. Especially if you use your old monitor.

I just got my old dell (233 single core w/ 1 gig ram - XP sp2) talking to my Juno using Sonar 6 and its like a whole bunch of new gear. I can also play softsynths (one at a time) on the machine which is like even more new gear.

If you can't talk to your gear with you computer you are missing out on the new old school or old new school or whatever - I got a book out of the library from 1989 that was talking about using computers to control/trigger midi devices like it was "what everybody does man." Adding a PC to the mix opens up a whole lot of possibilities.

Having said all of that, I am a hobbyist who is more interested in laying down tracks mixing FACTORY sounds together then turning knobs and making up NEW sounds altogether.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even something like this computer would run most modern software quite well. The only problem is that it doesn't have Firewire, but there are decent USB audio/MIDI interfaces out there.

Though I agree with the others; Dell's lying to you if they say your computer will only work with MCE. Computer parts are computer parts.

• Members

jskpongoui - soundxplorer has explained, where is problem with your computer.

If there is no option to change hard disk controller behavior, You still can do an installation disk of windows xp using nLite software and adding your hard disk controller drivers to the cd image.

What version of windows xp disk do You have? service pack1, 2, 3 maybe?

• Members

Alesis Fusion. It has the complete Mellotron library (and it sounds really good) for free via Hollow Sun, also good pianos and EPs (again, via Hollow Sun), and the horns won't be fantastic but hey, the synth is going to cost you 400-450 dollars, so who's to complain. They'll be better than other things in that price range...

It comes with a 6-op FM synthesizer built-in also, and the effects are very good to my ears...

• Members

Alesis Fusion. It has the complete Mellotron library (and it sounds really good) for free via Hollow Sun, also good pianos and EPs (again, via Hollow Sun), and the horns won't be fantastic but hey, the synth is going to cost you 400-450 dollars, so who's to complain. They'll be better than other things in that price range...

It comes with a 6-op FM synthesizer built-in also, and the effects are very good to my ears...

hmmm...

sounds very intriguing

:idea:

lemme see if I can fit all of this wonderful stuff into my holiday list...

• Members

An electribe wouldn't be that useful for that ... MPC1000!!!!

Also, look into the Roland JD990. It's a rack.

http://www.synthmania.com/jd-990.htm

You can also add the Vintage Synth Expansion card which has some nice mellowtron sounds. Check the samples in the link called Tron choir and strings.

http://www.synthmania.com/sr-jv80-04.htm

• Members

An electribe wouldn't be that useful for that ... MPC1000!!!!

Also, look into the Roland JD990. It's a rack.

You can also add the Vintage Synth Expansion card which has some nice mellowtron sounds. Check the samples in the link called Tron choir and strings.

What's the whole rage over the MPCs, I already have an sp404...

so wouldn't that sort of be a waste?

• Members

What's the whole rage over the MPCs, I already have an sp404...

so wouldn't that sort of be a waste?

Not at all. MPC is also a full-blown sequencer. It's hard to explain .. but once you understand how a "Program" works in the MPC.. it all makes sense. It's much much more powerful than any of the little SP boxes.

I have an MPC1000 .. and yet I would like to get an SP404 someday. Just to have around. But to get things done. The MPC is the best value ever.

• Members

You could build a computer for $400 that will run all software out there perfectly...

And kiss having a real band out the window. Unless everyone in your group are totally one the same page and down with using computers. My friends have a band that's 3 computers and drummer :).

Btw - desktop computers are way hipper than laptops :thu:

• Members

Not at all. MPC is also a full-blown sequencer. It's hard to explain .. but once you understand how a "Program" works in the MPC.. it all makes sense. It's much much more powerful than any of the little SP boxes.

I have an MPC1000 .. and yet I would like to get an SP404 someday. Just to have around. But to get things done. The MPC is the best value ever.

:(

I like my sp404 though...

• Members

You could build a computer for $400 that will run all software out there perfectly...

I have thought about that, my brother was gonna help me build one for cheap but a computer isn't really something that I can use with friends... I mean sure we can record stuff on it but I really wanna do real time performances

• Members

that's not the point. keep it!!

I played a show with John Maus and that was all he had(SP404). It was cool .. I was suprised. Never thought it could hold that much memory to be a playback device. He would just hit one pad and whole song would play ... and he had a mic into it using the delay.

nLelFYiQrZg

• Members

that's not the point. keep it!!

I played a show with John Maus and that was all he had(SP404). It was cool .. I was suprised. Never thought it could hold that much memory to be a playback device. He would just hit one pad and whole song would play ...

Possibly there are more important things before I get the MPC because it is sort of overlapping a bit with the 404...

Is there a good hardware sequencer or something?

the qy100 or the rm1x?

• Members

See .. there really isn't IMO... I liked the old Kawai Q80.. but they broke all the time. A friend and I went through like 4 of them. Other friends mine really like the QY100 .. maybe you'll like it. I didn't really dig Yamaha's interfaces.

The MPC is just the bee's knees.. and then you get a great drum machine styled sampler .. that you can also use like a multitrack recorder. That's why I like it so much. There is NO set workflow. Just do what you want to do. There's 10 ways to do the same thing... and 6 out 10 ways is the wrong way.

the only thing is that I'm not so into it as a step sequencer ... sometimes I use Cubase then dump it into the MPC. But that's only when I'm %100 pure techno in one of my projects.

As bands. The MPC is all I need. And having a SP404 around can't hurt. I just think the SP404 is limiting on it's own sometimes.

• Members

See .. there really isn't IMO... I liked the old Kawai Q80.. but they broke all the time. A friend and I went through like 4 of them. Other friends mine really like the QY100 .. maybe you'll like it. I didn't really dig Yamaha's interfaces.

The MPC is just the bee's knees.. and then you get a great drum machine styled sampler .. that you can also use like a multitrack recorder. That's why I like it so much. There is NO set workflow. Just do what you want to do. There's 10 ways to do the same thing... and 6 out 10 ways is the wrong way.

the only thing is that I'm not so into it as a step sequencer ... sometimes I use Cubase then dump it into the MPC. But that's only when I'm %100 pure techno in one of my projects.

As bands. The MPC is all I need. And having a SP404 around can't hurt. I just think the SP404 is limiting on it's own sometimes.

How easy is it to learn and use?

Archived