Eminence Texas Heat & Swamp Thang?

MattACaster

• Members

Originally posted by Grind Cruncher

Yeah, I don't like either one of them.

What sound are you looking for?

I'm actually asking for a friend. He's into the classic rock/R&B/blues type stuff. The speakers would be in an extension cab run from a Single Recto.

• Members

Originally posted by MattACaster

I'm actually asking for a friend. He's into the classic rock/R&B/blues type stuff. The speakers would be in an extension cab run from a Single Recto.

I'd suggest trying out the Wizard for a warm, thick, full, smooth sound, or a Red Ryder for a more articulate cutting high end grind.

I think that they would mix well if he wants to try that.

• Members

I'd suggest trying out the Wizard for a warm, thick, full, smooth sound, or a Red Ryder for a more articulate cutting high end grind.

I think that they would mix well if he wants to try that.

Could you tell me what you did or didn't like about the Texas Heat and Swamp Thang?

• Members

Could you tell me what you did or didn't like about the Texas Heat and Swamp Thang?

It's been a while since I've played them, but from what I can remember the Swamp Thang had the high end way to rolled off, the low midrange was way over hyped, so I didn't like it at all.

The Texas Heat I don't remember much other than I didn't like it much, but definitely better than the Swamp Thing.

To me the Wizard and the Red Ryder were the best of the entire EMI Patriot and Red Coat line.

• Members

It's been a while since I've played them, but from what I can remember the Swamp Thang had the high end way to rolled off, the low midrange was way over hyped, so I didn't like it at all.

The Texas Heat I don't remember much other than I didn't like it much, but definitely better than the Swamp Thing.

To me the Wizard and the Red Ryder were the best of the entire EMI Patriot and Red Coat line.

Thanks for the info! :)

• Members

well,

i, for one, love the swamp thangs. i had the wizard and i just didn't like the bright, thin, glassy highs and upper-midrange peak (nice speakers, but each application needs its correct match). enter the swamp thang. the highs are FAT, dark mids, huge & tight bottom-end wallop. the cleans are VERY VERY VERY fenderish, but bigger, like a fender on roids; like a bigger, thicker (yet all the great characteristics) twin reverb. unmistakably fender. the overdrive has some slightly throaty, lower mids going on, and smooth highs, but with a bit of high-end presence in them that adds the right amount of detail. i love these speakers. i wanted something that would take the brittleness away from the top end, and make things sound huge. the swap thang fits that bill perfectly. my 1x12 homemade semi-open back cab has as much oomph as my 4x12 peavey cab w/sheffield 1200s. ! :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by doggage5050

well,

i, for one, love the swamp thangs. i had the wizard and i just didn't like the bright, thin, glassy highs and upper-midrange peak (nice speakers, but each application needs its correct match). enter the swamp thang. the highs are FAT, dark mids, huge & tight bottom-end wallop. the cleans are VERY VERY VERY fenderish, but bigger, like a fender on roids; like a bigger, thicker (yet all the great characteristics) twin reverb. unmistakably fender. the overdrive has some slightly throaty, lower mids going on, and smooth highs, but with a bit of high-end presence in them that adds the right amount of detail. i love these speakers. i wanted something that would take the brittleness away from the top end, and make things sound huge. the swap thang fits that bill perfectly. my 1x12 homemade semi-open back cab has as much oomph as my 4x12 peavey cab w/sheffield 1200s. !
:eek:

To me the Wizard sounds like a very well balanced speaker. I use it in my Buzzbomb and it takes my Powerball which is a low frequency beast.

• Members

Originally posted by DarkCide

To me the Wizard sounds like a very well balanced speaker. I use it in my Buzzbomb and it takes my Powerball which is a low frequency beast.

Yeah, I don't get that guys comments either; "bright, thin, glassy highs and upper-midrange peak". That's definitely not a Wizard at all! :confused:

• Members

Yeah, I don't get that guys comments either; "bright, thin, glassy highs and upper-midrange peak". That's definitely not a Wizard at all!
:confused:

Yeah I hear ya. It's like he's describing the Red Ryders! :wave::thu:

• Members

I know you aren't asking about these speakers, but I thought I'd throw them in since I've heard them both.

I had a Tonker. It was great for cleans, but that's about the only thing I liked it for. Distorted, the high end was like an ice pick in the ear. Very bad. You had to turn it up way to loud before it would round out and by then you're deaf. lol

Now I have a Governor. It's great. It's smooth and warm. Really sounds great for hard rock, classic rock and 80's metal. The cleans a rich and 3-D. No piercing highs like a V30. My fav. speaker so far!

• Members

Originally posted by LightHerUp

I know you aren't asking about these speakers, but I thought I'd throw them in since I've heard them both.

I had a Tonker. It was great for cleans, but that's about the only thing I liked it for. Distorted, the high end was like an ice pick in the ear. Very bad. You had to turn it up way to loud before it would round out and by then you're deaf. lol

Now I have a Governor. It's great. It's smooth and warm. Really sounds great for hard rock, classic rock and 80's metal. The cleans a rich and 3-D. No piercing highs like a V30. My fav. speaker so far!

Would you say the Governor is like a Greenback or G12H-30?

• Members

The texas is a really nice speaker. Definitely great for blues, r&b, country, but can easily do rock & metal.

It is basically a wizard speaker w/o the cone break up, and eq more towards the american (jensen) tone. It has more upper mids than the other patriot speakers. So, it is kinda "in between" the patiot & red coat speakers.

It is a great overall speaker. I used it in my mesa F50, and it was very clean, punchy, clear. The break up was very smooth.

The governor is similar to the celestion vintage 30, but doesn't have the spikey high mids.

• Members

Originally posted by LightHerUp

Yup!
:thu:
What he said. That's why me likey! The mids are there but they don't sting your ears.

Hmmm. Well, I have 2 cabs with V30s and I like them. I also have a Marshall 1960A cab that is loaded with GT12-75s and I HATE. I'm looking to replace those with something Greenback-ish or G12H-30-ish but I don't have a whole lot of money to drop on the real things so I was curious if Eminence had something along the same lines.

• Members

being as how he's looking at two speakers out of the Patriot line, makes me think maybe he's more after an American type sound?

i'm not familiar with the Texas Heat, but own a cab with Swamp thangs.

the Swamp Thangs are pretty nice sounding speakers, they do what they are designed to do. they'll do a nice American sound, have a really sweet lead sound, and can do metal pretty well. they don't have the breakup of some the British types, so won't be spot on when trying to cop that type tone. but they will do fugga dugga if need be. they not as loud at one watt as some of the other designs, but do allright.

i also have some Govenors, and the a pretty nice as well. some days i like the Governors better, and some days like the Swamps better. could get along just fine with either them.

• Members

Originally posted by rhino bucket

being as how he's looking at two speakers out of the Patriot line, makes me think maybe he's more after an American type sound?

I think he's after a low price. This, however ...

I'm looking to replace those with something Greenback-ish or G12H-30-ish

... suggests he's after a British sound.

• Members

Originally posted by rhino bucket

The sad thing is that I never put the Patriot = american sound thing toether. I'm a moron.

Chris is right. I already have V30 cand V12 loaded cabs. I'm looking for something different that would sound good with a cranked Bassman.

Archived