NORD Electro 2 73 / Stage 76 Keybed the same??

ClavAnother

• Members

Although I think the Electro 2 is a great keyboard, I have never been happy with the fact that the 73 goes from "F-to-F".

I have often wondered if I could rearrange the keys so that the High "E" would be at the low end making it a "proper" 73.

Well, tonight I decided to take a look to see if it is possible, and I discovered that the Electro 2 73 has a 76-key keybed in it. The cheek blocks just cover up the unused contacts.

So after a bit of searching, I realized that the Nord Stage 76 has a low "E". So now of course, I want to know if I can simply get a hold of one o' them Stage keys and put it on my Electro 2, and then either:

1) Move over each of the keys for an "E-to-E" 73

2) Ditch the lefthand cheek block and install a low "E" (much less work)

So, it will come down to finding out whether or not the Stage 76 and Electro 2 share the same keybed, and therefore keys.

Does anyone happen to know the answer to this question?

I am very hopeful, because if I could do this, I would probably go a step further and repaint the lid black.

*hoping

l_985fa4d7674e4eabbb7e54715b912f16.jpg

l_5b595a48202a4c558b4b59326f196649.jpg

• Members

OH Hai, CA!

I have no experience with things Nordic, but it seems that you could use a high F key meant for an Electro 73 as your new low E key. A key meant for a hammer keybed might not be easily substituted...

Have you poked the key contacts, just to see what happens? That would be cool if the notes were actually there, just covered up. But probably not.

• Members

Hello Plinky!

I thought it would be obvious that the entire exercise was intended to see if I could do just that!

But I noticed that it will not work because the high "F" (which BTW, is actually a high "C" in f's clothing) attaches to the keybed on its left side, and the key that would go on the low end must attach on its right side (see the photos)

Regarding the key contacts, the low contact is indeed live! Also the high "F#" is live, but for some reason the high "G" is dead. I guess that the Electro keys sometimes suffer diode failure, and sometimes just need to be cleaned, so maybe that is the problem with the "G".

• Members

Have you poked the key contacts, just to see what happens? That would be cool if the notes were actually there, just covered up. But probably not.

This.

Probably that key's being scanned for, but you never know. it would be a shame if you went to the trouble to put a key there and discovered that the firmware doesn't pick it up after all.

Press down both bubbles, preferably the rear bubble just a hair before the forward bubble, or the firmware might get confused.

• Members

I thought it would be obvious...*

*see original disclaimer about Nordical noobularity...:cry:

I couldn't tell the mechanical mountage scheme from the pics, but I think that the biggest possible obstacle is overcome; that of the note actually being there. If the hammer type keys can be made to work, then Bob's yer uncle! Heck, if I had no other choice, I'd play it with a notched F key.

I, too, care not for a keyboard sans low E. It's like, they think yer never gonna jam with geetar players? Or play this bass line? (But in E):

doobiedoobie.jpg

• Members

I have seen a key grafted onto a NE2 low end before. It was not full width as would appear normal, but had a notched cheekblock to fill in the gap. Looked like a regular F key someone had stuck on the bottom.

Duh. I meant to say, "Looked like a regular E key someone had stuck on the buttom.

• Members

No. Transpose is only to make it sound the same pitch.

Sure, I can play in any key, but why would I want to. In some keys, some of the grace notes would come 'down' where in others they would travel 'up'

None of this is really the point though. I wouldn't want anyone to make my rhodes go from f-f anymore than I would want my electro to do it.

• Members

It must weigh closer to 29 than 39.

My Stage 76 weighs 35 lbs, and that is with the heavy steel plates bolted on for the leg kit.

Hey, I didn't realize you had a Stage 76. I there any way I can persuade you to open it and snap a picture of the low E showing how it is mounted, and compare it to my photo above?

Please?

Thanks!

• Members

I will need to go dumpster diving to find the photographic evidence, but this mod has been accomplished on at least 2 Electro 73s that I've seen on forums over the past 6+ years. You simply order a replacement high C key (it's a Fatar action, same as that used on the new Korg CX-3). You notch the wooden end block and hang the key in there like the rest of them. It should work just fine and don't get the Stage 76 and the Electro intermingled as one has the waterfall semi-weighted keys and the other has lipped, weighted keys. Different beasts.

Good luck and let me see what I can find. Pretty sure there are a few users on the Yahoo forums that have accomplished this many years ago.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

You simply order a replacement high C key.

It should work just fine and don't get the Stage 76 and the Electro intermingled as one has the waterfall semi-weighted keys and the other has lipped, weighted keys.

Eric

Eric, thanks, I didn't realize the stage had a lipped piano key. Just to clarify, though, you say order a high C, but wouldn't the mounting be wrong? The Electro's high F actually says C8 on it.

If you look at the second photo above, you can see that the C mounts on the left of the back of the key, I need one that mounts on the right of the back of the key.

Or did you mean order an E key that will be notched to accept the black key next to it? That is pretty much what I am planning to do.

I think I was a member of that yahoo group back when the electro came out and I had a 61, but I haven't been there in ages.

-Matt

• Members

Eric, thanks, I didn't realize the stage had a lipped piano key. Just to clarify, though, you say order a high C, but wouldn't the mounting be wrong? The Electro's high F actually says C8 on it.

If you look at the second photo above, you can see that the C mounts on the left of the back of the key, I need one that mounts on the right of the back of the key.

Or did you mean order an E key that will be notched to accept the black key next to it? That is pretty much what I am planning to do.

I think I was a member of that yahoo group back when the electro came out and I had a 61, but I haven't been there in ages.

-Matt

I may be wrong on which key you need...for some reason I was picturing the high C on the far left so you would not have a silly notch with no black key. For example, any 76 note board with a low E does not have a black key notch to the left. But I honestly can't remember what works on the NE2. I'll go digging around now.

Regards,

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Archived