Are Single Channel Amps Practical On Stage?

TheManichaean

• Members

I'm considering a Top Hat Club Royale 2x12", but I'm concerned about how practical a single channel amp is on stage.

I'm comfortable with matching the Volume knobs on my two channel amps so that Ch1 & Ch2 have equal volume. How do I match the clean/distorted volumes when I use distortion pedals through a single channel amp?

Every time I try to use only a single channel + pedals with my current setup, I end up with a distorted tone that is far louder than the clean tone.

Any ideas (or links to related threads) are appreciated.

• Members

Originally posted by TheManichaean

Every time I try to use only a single channel + pedals with my current setup, I end up with a distorted tone that is far louder than the clean tone.

That's what you want.

If you "balance" the two tones, your dirty tone will disappear when you kick it in due to the compression.

• Members

How single channel amps are used is really dependant on what kind of music you play live....Radical extreme...top 40 dance music would be hard pressed with a single channel amp and no effects going from Madonna to Nickleback.

My personal approach with a single channel amp is to find it's best niche and use it that way, even if it means using multiple amps. It's the reason I had in ordering a Splawn Competition head. It'll be paired with my Riveras.

Ric

• Members

Very practical.

One of the best variety-cover guitarists I know uses a NMV Marshall, a rat-pedal, and an LP do do it all.

He's a volume knob master. But he's also a genious at knowing what, and how to play with loads of dynamic awareness.

If he's playing a funk thing... his LP doesn't sound like a strat...but he's so good, you just don't care. And he makes it fit beautifully.

If this doesn't describe you... (it certainly doesn't describe me) then the more channels the better. I play a freakin' Vetta. :D

• Members

Absolutely they're practical I think. Maybe not for everyone.

I play with a Les Paul and have two separate volumes, one for each pickup. I set the neck up for a clean sound by rolling back the volume (this works GREAT with single-channel amps), and have the bridge pick up on full throttle. That way I can switch between the two w/ the pick up selector. Or I can roll back the bridge a bit for a "pushed clean" sound.

Works great!

• Members

depends on the sort of guitarist you are,i have a couple of 2 channel amps laying around and they sound better clean when i roll my volume back on the dirty channel......i quit entirley using the footswitch's...thats a jubilee and a peavey classic 50...
i realy want a dedicated single channel amp thats responsive to the volume knob on the guitar,from dirty to clean in a roll,best friggin tone out there.

• Members

Really depends on the range of sounds you need for the
music you play. I personally prefer a good non-master PTP
amp with pedals on the floor. However, I was in a
dance-pop cover band a few years back were the only
way I could cover all the bases I needed was with a
Triaxis/Lexicon G2/90:90 rack rig with MIDI switching.

• Members

Originally posted by joolzriff

depends on the sort of guitarist you are,i have a couple of 2 channel amps laying around and they sound better clean when i roll my volume back on the dirty channel......i quit entirley using the footswitch's...thats a jubilee and a peavey classic 50...

i realy want a dedicated single channel amp thats responsive to the volume knob on the guitar,from dirty to clean in a roll,best friggin tone out there.

I'm just about at this point with my Tremoverb. I actually like the clean tone better when I roll back the volume on my LP on the modern channel than anything I can dial in on the clean channel. At 10 it's huge metal chunk, at 8 it's more hard rock, at 5 it's sort of bluesy/alt. rock and at 3 it's clean. And each volume still has the right amount of cut as the compression goes away (like someone said above). I can go from clean to scream with just a twist. Although I think I will buy a volume pedal so I can do it hands-free.

• Members

I use a single channel amp and OD pedal live. It's all about pickup selection and volume controls - I honestly feel better and easier this way than with multi channel amps.

The amp is half way up, so mix pick up rhythm tone is semi dirty, roll volume knob down for totally clean, go to bridge humbucker for rock rhythm or mid overdrive lead. whack on the pedal for 50% more overdrive essentially. THe rhythm is still there but the lead is screaming. - I use a pedlal with OD low and level high so it's like a clean boost into semi dirty amp which is lack having the amp up full.

Amp's a mini 20plexi, the pedal's a keeley TS-9.

• Members

I always run only one channel. Mid gain crunch with a couple of nice booteek pedals for additional gain.
I rarely ever switch the channel on my Soldano.
I constantly mess with the volume knob on my guitar as well as the pickups (Strats and Tele). I love the possibilities. I like being able to walk around the stage and not have to get back to switch channels anymore.
I'll never go back to channel switching.:cool:

• Members

when I use my 5150 live, I use it as a 1 channel amp.....I use the crunch channel boosted for heavier tones and then I take the boost off for lighter distortion, and use my guitars volume knob for cleaner tones :) it's soooooooo much easier than dialing in a head for channel switching and creating similar volumes throughout the channels :)

• Members
Originally posted by skycarvin01

How single channel amps are used is really dependant on what kind of music you play live....Radical extreme...top 40 dance music would be hard pressed with a single channel amp and no effects going from Madonna to Nickleback.

My personal approach with a single channel amp is to find it's best niche and use it that way, even if it means using multiple amps. It's the reason I had in ordering a Splawn Competition head. It'll be paired with my Riveras.

Ric

+1

I use an LC30 and the JSX with an attenuator

I get my clean sound from the Laney and my crunch and lead tones from the JSX

;)

• Members

Thanks! --lots of good ideas and many options to work with.

1. Two amps--ideal, but not financially possible (yet)
2. Pedal board--I'll probably go this route, I've only used single pedals in the past.
3. Use the volume knob on my distortion pedals--cheapest route, but I've never been able to make it work in gigs/practice. (Probably time to upgrade pedals)

Ask Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, EVH, David Gilmour, SRV, etc...

Lol, great point.

• Members

(Probably time to upgrade pedals)

Maybe, unless they're really crappy I reckon you'll be OK with stock BOSS though.

All this depends on sounds you want obviously - but get you're one channel amp in semi break up then add a boost to push over the edge - not neccessarily using the distorted tone from the pedal, just a boost, which in turn distorts the amp. Know what I mean?

I use Keeleys but I reckon stock BD-2 or TS-9 would do fine - tohugh I'm a blusier type player than some. If you've got one of those little dano's or no name distortion box you might want to dump it - shame to ruin a Top Hat with a $30 OD.

Archived