B-52 tube amps any good?

Sic666

• Members

B-52 tube amps any good?

I have read some good reviews about this amp but i wanna know if anyone has one and could tell me if it is really good. As far as i can see in price the b-52 beats any other amp but well sometimes low price can mean bad quality. What im gonna play in the amp is metal, hardcore and punk which i need really good gain without using any distortion pedal.

• Members

I have one. It kicks ass. It has more gain than you will know what to do with. If you want to play blues and jazz you would probably want to use an overdrive pedal through the clean channel, but for metal, rock, thrash, etc.. the distortion channels will give you all the gain you could possibly imagine without the need for a pedal.

• Members

not all pedals are bad. a maxon od808 or ibanez ts9 can make a nice touch on the overall sound of an amp. i run one on my single rec a lot and i love what it does to it. from my experience with the b52, putting that on it makes is quite awesome. i wouldn't play one without it personally

• Members

i think that amp will do what you want, just spend some time dialing it in and you should be good, I demo'd one at GC a couple of times and considered purchasing one, but diidn't really need it, as I'm pretty happy w/ my tone.

• Members

I own the B-52 At-100...I like it alot...Though, I'd recommend swapping the tubes out...the stock ones are horrible.

The gain by itself is pretty good- it might be a little hard to achieve an extreme metal sound- but it does pretty well. I added a ten band eq in there- and then a ISP decimator pedal to clean up a little hum- and it's pretty savage.

• Members

What kind of tubes did you end up putting in yours? I have one that was a floor model and it has a bad preamp tube, wanting to swap em all out but I was considering putting the the russian 12ax7's back in. If you had good results with something else, what were they?

• Members

I have clips of my old AT-100 in my signature if you're interested..

keep in mind it was just a PC speaker right into the sound card...not many clips of this amp floating around for whatever reason..

i think for the price it's a pretty good amp

I liked the clean channel..the built in reverb was pretty cool (kinda miss that actually)..and the master volume worked really well...

the other guitar player in my band has it now and really likes it

• Members

I dont really have any way to record clips either but I was just playing through mine and apart from the buzzing of that screwed up preamp tube which comes and goes (maybe thats not what is wrong with it), that thing has incredible low end at non-gigging volume, at least with those hot ass 81/85 emgs.

• Members

Originally posted by stratopedia

Had it one. Didn't work for me as I'm into classic rock and blues. But should work for your taste. Cheap too.
:D

hrmm...I was able to get some nice classic rock and blues tones out of it. And if you don't like the sounds you can get from the gain channels, throw a 39.00 bad monkey in front of the clean channel and you have a perfect classic rock and blues machine.

• Members

I never own one but play them at a my friends, I think for the maney which is $700 you may wan to buy a 5150 or laney on e-bay, I own a 5150 and belive me it has the gain you need with out any pedals, this amp 5150 is around the world with several bands like In flames, ted nuge and steve moorse... B-52 sounds to treebley and for metal will need a EQ, plus what kind of guitar do have and cabinet speakers? that means a lot on the tone you may looking for, this is my rig ibanez rg250 w/emg's or duncans-wha-5150-marshall jcm800 stock 4x12 I can get just about any tone I wan, hope it helps.

• Members

If it's too trebley, change out the preamp tubes for JJs or get a 19.95 behringer eq pedal.

I'm not sure what you mean by you can't play metal with it. It has gain out the ass and with the contour knob you can scoop out all the mids you want. With the low-res knob you can give the amp a much deeper voicing too.

I've had one for just over a month now and haven't had any problems with it and I've been able to get every sound I have tried. Well...almost....of course we are all constantly looking for that one "perfect" tone which we will never find, but you know what I mean.

Archived