How often do you think......

SuperStrat

• Members

For me, not really. Only reason is that when I record, it's allways at real low volume. If I was able to turn it up to giging level, it would be a different story.

But in general, I would agree.

• Members

Not yet! Too many variables, mic's, recording medium, playback setup etc.... Even when I record cranked marshalls, greenback loaded cabs and no hotplate. Moving air is a big part of it too. When I record i'll fire everything up, crank it and then tweek the amp with headphones on. That reminds me, cananyone suggest a good pair of isolating headphones? :D

• Members

Originally posted by SuperStrat

..recorded tone actually matches the amp if you heard it live?

I'm thinking that it's a very small percentage... maybe 10% of the time???

Discuss.

The bigest mistake IMO that folks make is that they simply lace the mic up to the grille dead center and think that it's all there is to it.

I always place the mic to try and replicate what I hear when playing in the room I

• Members

Discuss.

i agree that it's probably around 10%, but that 10% is usually where the best sounds come from. all the "legendary" tones everyone is talking about sound, if you listen to the engineers who're partially responsible for them, say that the sound you hear on record is just about the way it sounded in the room: Clapton's sounds on the old Mayall records, Hendrix's cranked Marshalls, Gilmour's fuzzed Hiwatts, all the same.

• Members

Originally posted by Electric Glide

Sony MDR-7509 work great for me. Not cheap, but good sound quality isn't cheap either, as you most likely well know.

Thanks, i'll look into those. Ya, forgot to add mic placement in here too. I'm workin on doing one close mic just off axis and another about 3-5 feet off the cab. Had some phase issues till I tried different mic's. It's starting to sound pretty frickin good. You get all that in your face attack from the close mic and some space from the other.

• Members
Originally posted by axe2 2001

Thanks, i'll look into those. Ya, forgot to add mic placement in here too. I'm workin on doing one close mic just off axis and another about 3-5 feet off the cab. Had some phase issues till I tried different mic's. It's starting to sound pretty frickin good. You get all that in your face attack from the close mic and some space from the other.

I sent you a PM.:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by vlad

I think in a professional recording it's quite often. The difference is that it's in a mix, panned and mastered etc...

I think that pro recordings are probably even further from the actual tone. A pro will "sculpt" the tone to fit into a specific frequency range within a mix.... almost like putting together a jigsaw puzzle.

• Members

I think that pro recordings are probably even further from the actual tone. A pro will "sculpt" the tone to fit into a specific frequency range within a mix.... almost like putting together a jigsaw puzzle.

Most of them seem to want to capture the 'true' sound of the instrument. Then process it just enough to make it fit in the mix. Of course that probably depends on the individual engineer. But hey... what do I know...

• Members

jep indeed,

in my recording situations the room had more influence than the amp itself and it never sounded like it did in that room.

i think it also has to do a lot with psychacoustic kind of stuff.

• Members

Discuss.

I asked this question in a EVH thread. Everyoneis so fond and awed of his tone...Ijustwonderedwhat it wouldsound like isolated. Or in the room. No engineering.

I bet some would call it crappy, thin and too effected.

• Members

Discuss.

You can be fairly close at a gig where stage volume isn't dominating the house, and the mixing engineer knows what he's doing, and has the gear to do it.

Archived