VHT Power amp/Marshall Power section comparison

64DUECE

• Members

Which would have the tightest low end?

The VHT 2-50-2 w/ EL34's

OR

A Marshall JMP 2204 w/ 6550's

I'm guessing a 6550 loaded Marshall would have more low end(or would it?), but which would feel the tightest?

• Members

I know its not one of your options.. but I personally would say if you were to go with a VHT 2502, then put the new JJ KT-77s in there. I put those in my 2502 after trying EL34s in there.. and the lowend became much tighter and the overall tone became thicker.

I cant comment about the Marshall with 6550s as I've never tried one personally.

Good luck!

• Members

Generally speaking, the EL-34s have a much tighter low end than the 5881/6L6, but that also depends on the design of the amp itself.

Your best bet is to try them, as I don't know the specifics, or what "tight bass" means to you.

To an extend, as long as you don't scoop your mids and push the bass to the max, there should be no "bass tightness" problems.

• Members

I think this comparison has no sense. The first is a poweramp, the second a head! If the comparison was between a 2/50/2 and EL34 50/50 , 100/100 or 9100, 9200 would make more sense!!! Power amp sections on heads are a bit different from stand alone power amp units!!! IMHO a VHT 50 CL loaded /w EL34 kicks MArshall's ass for good :)

• Members

Originally posted by 64DUECE

Which would have the tightest low end?

The VHT 2-50-2 w/ EL34's

OR

A Marshall JMP 2204 w/ 6550's

I'm guessing a 6550 loaded Marshall would have more low end(or would it?), but which would feel the tightest?

IMO, 6550's sound good with boost, but sound rather nasty unboosted.

• Members

Originally posted by Sick Michael

I'd imagine the VHT would certainly be more reliable. Those things look very well built, and I've heard a few stories about that MonoBlock Marshall blowing up.

I've owned 4 of them through the years....

Each and every one has failed one way or the other.

I've also never had a single issue with any VHT product...:D

• Members

Haven't had a chance to check out the HCAF for a bit.

Thanks for all the replys. I was about to fall asleep at my computer when I first posted. :o I'll explain a little better.:D

I recently sold off yet another 50w Marshall. This time around I'm going for something a little different. Well, a lot different.:D

I want more headroom, more punch. I don't use a {censored} ton of gain, and I play loud ass {censored}. I think it sounds best like this. More importantly, it feels best.

So, at first I thought about hunting down another late 70's Marshall but with 6550's in the power section. This gives me my Marshall sound that I lust for. It should also give me the headroom that I need, while giving me a little more depth in the bass response. I'm not looking for much more. Overall, I want it tight.

After looking into the VHT stuff, listening to clips and talking with other VHT users....I'm thinking VHT is the way to go for my needs. I just can't afford a VHT head though. :mad: But a power amp is in my range. I'll probably get an MP-1 or a JMP-1 to go with it.(trying to keep the Marshall sound)

Now, if I get another head, it'll be a Marshall with 6550's. You'd think that I'd be looking at the 2-90-2 for the 6550/KT88 output. :confused:

But I love EL34's, and after comparing clips of a Marshall w/ 6550's with an EL34 loaded 2-50-2........I think the VHT has a tighter low end. More punch too.

That's kinda how I ended up comparing the power section of one amp with a power amp of another brand.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Duke of Metal

I know its not one of your options.. but I personally would say if you were to go with a VHT 2502, then put the new JJ KT-77s in there.

Nice suggestion.:D

I'll keep that in mind for sure.

• Members

Originally posted by john l

That would depend entirely on how hard you drive the front end and with what preamp.

For the Marshall - Not like over-the-top gain. More crunch than anything. High volume with a Rat set as a clean boost.

As for a preamp for the VHT, probably the ADA/Marshall thing set as close to the above mentioned as possible.

• Members

Originally posted by SteveVHT

The VHT is much much tighter in the low end...

If you want even tighter, look at the VHT 2/90/2.

But the KT77's will tighten up the 2/50/2 alot also...

Steve

Right on.:thu:

For even a little more headroom, can I link both sides of the 2-50-2 to serve as a 100w power amp?

Archived