Yamaha CP1 and CP5...modeled or sampled?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
ok thanks for info, good catch but it is very disappointing. CP-1 and CP-5 are supposed to be stage pianos hence I'd expect piano like action. We have not graded without escapement action here?
:eek:
now I'm always 100% sure RD700GX will be closer to real thing...wooden keys by itself won't do the trick for me I think.

What's the trick you're trying for? So, you're saying you're a limited player? Seriously, you cannot adjust your playing style one little bit to play expressively on a different type of keyboard? It has to be EXACTLY like a real piano's action before you can play piano? Yeah, I know you're not really saying this...I hope.

I understand personal preferences and all, but I can see Yamaha's point. If they were making just a stage piano, then why have any other sounds in it at all? Just put in "acoustic piano" and be done with it. Don't put in any rhodes or wurlies or clavs...as they don't use graded hammer actions with escapement like a real piano does, so why even have them there if you're trying to go for a real piano sound and feel? It's all about compromise really...just as they say in the Yamaha Rep's statement above.

Also, someone should email this guy and tell him he can't play expressive piano very well since he's not on a keyboard with piano-like action:

[YOUTUBE]4yZitugGGtQ[/YOUTUBE]

Again, I know you're not saying anything like what I just described...I hope. I'm just being a prick. :D

• Members
well that remains to be seen if I am traitor
:p
because something tells me RD700GX action will be still better then CP series and it's the action I am after. Regarding that kit I doubt it will be ground breaking as any other SRX cards were medicore.

past performance does not guaranty future results.
:)

I do agree on the SRX's. Mediocre at best, maybe a small handful of sounds that were ' must have '

I have the GX kit on order

• Members

I'm not a proficient enough - technique-wise - piano player to (1) really care if the action is concert grand like, graded, or synth or whatever [i use an electro2, pc2 and cp33 all about the same]; or (2) whether the piano sound is bosendorpher or horowitz's steinway [it just has to sound good to me]. I can't wait to test drive a cp50 - just one good piano and one good rhodes is all I want. The marketing department has them put all that other stuff inthe board, I bet!

• Members

well, this was quite easy, slow tempo noodling so you can do even on semi weighted or not weighted keyboard. Anything with more dynamics or "jumps" and fast runs will suffer greatly on keyboard with bad action and when you switch to real grand you will be unpleasantly surprised. You'll never get that much expression and dynamics on balanced, without escapement action digital keyboard.

try this one on nord:
[YOUTUBE]45Hc7IY4SGA[/YOUTUBE]

or this one:
[YOUTUBE]iFvqvZOtCF0[/YOUTUBE]

and good luck :facepalm:

p.s.
That happens to me after 2 months break from my RD700GX while I played only on my semi weighted motif XS (I could play only light stuff of course) - once I got RD back in my room my hands couldn't get used to for 2 days! Anyway I always wanted to have grand piano in my house, so far I couldn't that's why I want to have at least digital with action as close as possible to real acoustic instrument.

• Members
Mmmmm...It's just a pity about the {censored} piano sound.

Seriously? Why do professionals use the RD-700GX all the time then if it's got "{censored} piano sound"? They sound fine to me and obviously sound fine to others. Is this kind of an elitist thing people do? Is it an attempt to sound more authoritative to others? Turn your nose up at certain things and people will think "wow, that guy really knows what he's talking about"?

:idk:

• Members

Does the CP-1 have sympathetic string resonance? I see it supports half pedaling, but what about damper noise like on the SV-1 and Nord Piano? Also, the Nord Piano mentions "With the Nord Piano pedal (or a continuous sustain pedal from another manufacturer) you can also use half-pedaling and other techniques like ''catching'' released keys with the pedal, a unique feature on the Nord Piano." How is this different from half pedaling and can the CP-1 recreate this as well?

• Members

Does the CP-1 have sympathetic string resonance? I see it supports half pedaling, but what about damper noise like on the SV-1 and Nord Piano? Also, the Nord Piano mentions "With the Nord Piano pedal (or a continuous sustain pedal from another manufacturer) you can also use half-pedaling
and other techniques like ''catching'' released keys with the pedal, a unique feature on the Nord Piano.
" How is this different from half pedaling and can the CP-1 recreate this as well?

The CP1 comes with it's own 3-pedal footswitch for Sustain, Sostenuto, and Soft...plus all 3 are assignable. And yes, it does model string resonance.

Keyboard Magazine got a back-room demo of it that you can see here:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/yamaha-cp-1-stage/December-2009/105233

• 1 month later...
  • Members

..the second one is the sound thats been used in all the rhodes demos ive heard (the '78 model)- it sounds awful

Are these any better, IYO?:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

...I may have to get a CP5

• 3 months later...

Archived