anyone else get their SAT scores back today?

SeraphSlaughter

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Dave_Mc_2

could someone post a quick synopsis of SAT's for the americanly -challenged guys here? you know, what year of school you are, what you have to do etc.? I'm just kinda interested.

Most kids take it in their junior and senior year of highschool. It has three subjects, each worth a maximum of 800 points. They are math, verbal, and critical reading, which I believe was added two years ago.

There are multiple sections for each subject, which alternate and focus on different things. They are also timed. The test takes several hours. I don't know what all is in the new critical reading sections, but the rest is all multiple choice, aside from a few fill in the blank math problems.

The way it works is that you start with a certain score of several hundred points. If you do not answer a question, you do not lose any points. Obviously, if you get a question correct, you gain points, and if you get one incorrect, you lose a smaller amount of points. The amount of points you gain or lose depends on the type of question and how many answer choices are available.

If you have a good understanding of how it all works, and which kinds of questions are worth more or less, it really becomes more of a numbers game than a real test of your knowledge. It's all pretty stupid, especially now that it's even longer, and you can take it pretty much as many times as you want.

We also have the ACT, which is less common. The way it works makes a little more sense, but it's also just a different test. Lots of people take both. It also has several subjects, and your total score is a maximum of 36. I don't really remember how all the grading works there, but it's quite different.

• Members

Originally posted by SeraphSlaughter

Meh. the colleges i'm going to dont exactly have high SAT standards so i wasnt worried.

A 1250 combined is a pretty good score. I believe the third portion doesn't factor in as much during admissions decisions (just what I have read, I may be wrong) but I think a 750 will certainly mean something. What schools are you looking at? If you had a good GPA, I think you could probably get into most schools, especially if you are 1st generation American.

Tyler

• Members
Originally posted by TWPietz37

A 1250 combined is a pretty good score. I believe the third portion doesn't factor in as much during admissions decisions (just what I have read, I may be wrong) but I think a 750 will certainly mean something. What schools are you looking at? If you had a good GPA, I think you could probably get into most schools, especially if you are 1st generation American.

Tyler

Umass Boston/Umass Lowell are the only one's i'm really considering. i threw my scores to Berklee for {censored}s and giggles but they dont even take them i think.

i have never been below a 3.0 GPA in my life i believe. got close to it but never below.

for some reason my school doesnt like...actively let you know your GPA/class rank. you have to really push for it :confused:

• Members

naw

my grades sucked ass though and i got caught nailed twice in high school for academic dishonesty, one was deserved while the other was false...i eventually got it off my record in a battle with the district but i'm sure it cost me college acceptances and it definitely killed my grades.

i didnt get in any private colleges though except for emery university (on account of me being an asian, which would be a minority in a primarily black/white school)

so here i am at ucsd.

• Members

Originally posted by krazeexharhar

naw

my grades sucked ass though and i got caught nailed twice in high school for academic dishonesty, one was deserved while the other was false...i eventually got it off my record in a battle with the district but i'm sure it cost me college acceptances and it definitely killed my grades.

i didnt get in any private colleges though except for emery university (on account of me being an asian, which would be a minority in a primarily black/white school)

so here i am at ucsd.

Im in San Diego right now in High School. where did you go to high school?

• Members
Originally posted by JackBootedThug

acedemic dishonesty?

Yep. I pulled out a calculator to play some games after a test (it was a no calculator test) and the teacher nailed me for academic dishonesty. I hadn't read her policy on calculators...apparently games weren't allowed on them at all. unlucky me. So that one was pretty much deserved although the punishment I thought was a little harsh.

Second time around we were taking quizes in a class that most people routinely cheated on. I usually cheated on them too with my buddies but whats ironic is that particular one I DIDN't cheat...someone with bad blood apparently ratted me and I got involved in the whole shebang with the administration and district and such. It was ugly. I ended up getting dropped from the class with an F and gettin gdropped from International Baccaulerate. This one I managed to get reversed eventually...it was funny because I fought it for a month and was rael annoying to the school and the district, and finallyt eh principal called me in, and said, "look, stop making trouble and we'll drop the F from your transcript when you graduate. I never want to see you in this office again."

:D

Good times, good times.

• Members

Umass Boston/Umass Lowell are the only one's i'm really considering. i threw my scores to Berklee for {censored}s and giggles but they dont even take them i think.

i have never been below a 3.0 GPA in my life i believe. got close to it but never below.

for some reason my school doesnt like...actively let you know your GPA/class rank. you have to really push for it
:confused:

If I were you, I'd consider Umass Amherst or maybe even look at B.U. or Northeastern and see what kind of scholarship package they give you. Also, Romney just implemented a program where you get free tuition at any state school (the UMASS system included obviously) if you score advanced on both categories of the MCAS. I would check it out.

Tyler

• Members

hey this is random but:

i am wanting to get into the music engineering technology programming at ball state and the website says i have to audition and take a theory test to get into the school of music. my question is...does anyone know if they give you some kind of study guide for this {censored} and am i going to have to buy a classical guitar and {censored}? im a rock player and i rarely finger pick so i am kind of worried. anybody who knows anything about this please gimme yer thoughts.

and if you have no idea at all give me your best guess at what they will ask for...it might make me feel a little better:D

• Members

I got an 1140 on mine, i believe i got a 630 verbal and 510 math... of course I had a lot to drink the night before and i didnt sleep which may have impaired me but not too bad. It was enough to qualify for scholarships and such and I've had a pretty good college career so far so I don't care.

• Members
Originally posted by rememberduane

I took it last year, got

690 writing

710 math

perfect 800 verbal.

Got me into the University of Edinburgh and I am a happy camper.

Took those damn subject tests too... 740/800 on both American and World History and 780 on Lit.

I hate testing.
:bor:

and also:

look at how smart i am...its practically effortless..in fact a sleepy face would prove my point. excellent!

• Members
Originally posted by jaymz_wylde85

and also:

look at how smart i am...its practically effortless..in fact a sleepy face would prove my point. excellent!

Actually.. the sleepy face is the emoticon for bored, meaning testing is boring. There's nothing worse than sitting for hours in a room with ridiculous questions.

And I'm convinced the SAT is not an accurate representation of intelligence, so no, that wasn't a "look at me". :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by cyndicate

LOL at least you were one of the lucky ones, after my friend got his acceptance letter from college he didnt do jack {censored} till the end of the year. Then the colleges asked for a second transcript and didnt let him in because he was bombing his classes.

Same thing happened with a kid I know. Got 82% overall, then just did nothing, his avg went down to 64, universities said {censored} you and took back all the acceptances he got.

I finished with an 84% overall out of highschool.

This year, first year univ, my marks were 53, 56, and 63 respectively. :D And I didnt even DO one essay in TWO classes. Just...didnt do it. And basically stopped reading after February.

And wrote all my essays that I DID do the night before. 14 page papers researched and written in 24 hours = not good. :freak:

• Members
Originally posted by rememberduane

Actually.. the sleepy face is the emoticon for bored, meaning testing is boring. There's nothing worse than sitting for hours in a room with ridiculous questions.

And I'm convinced the SAT is not an accurate representation of intelligence, so no, that wasn't a "look at me".
:wave:

dont worry...i was just busting your balls

i never usually post so im having some fun today..but im glad you got into the school of your choice;)

• Members

murr. there's a younger crowd round here.

I got a 2000 overall. i r slightly above teh avreage!!

yeah pointless topic i guess.

dont even act like your not unbelievably happy with that score and arent trying to be a cocky {censored} about it :rolleyes:

most schools trash the newer writing portion of it, so its still pretty much out of 1600 not including it.

Archived