no budget recording: rivera chuggah content

tdr

• Members

ok, since i have no money for real recording gear, but already have a decent mic and an mp3 player that has a recording function that works with an external mic, i figured i should try to records some clips.

i am a total newbee when it comes to recording. those clips are nothing special, but i think they sound decent for what i used to record them. same applies for the playing, just some chug stuff, nothing special.

the signalpath was:

ltd viper 407 - boss ns2- rivera khr 55 - engl xxl cab - sennheiser e609 - iriver h340 mp3 player

i still have a lot to learn when it comes to mic positioning. those two clips have different positions, i kinda prefer the first clip. what do you think?

the think that bothers me most is the fizzy top end, which i do not hear in the room, but in the clips. but i think the overall character of the amp is definetily captured.

ok, here we go: all comments appreciated

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=551143

• Members

no boost on this clip, all gain comes from the amp. that is channel 3 of the knucklehead, with the boost engaged.
i tune my seven string to drop a, lowest note in the clip was b

• Members
Originally posted by tdr

no boost on this clip, all gain comes from the amp. that is channel 3 of the knucklehead, with the boost engaged.

i tune my seven string to drop a, lowest note in the clip was b

Whoa - tuned to low a? :D

I used to play a 5 string pentasystem guitar tuned to low a through a Rivera KHR100 in my old band

Get a sub cab if you don't already have one...you'll love it...your sound is already good it will just fill in nicer with a sub

sorry I can't help with recording..I suck at recording

• Members
Originally posted by Esperanto

Whoa - tuned to low a?
:D

I used to play a 5 string pentasystem guitar tuned to low a through a Rivera KHR100 in my old band

Get a sub cab if you don't already have one...you'll love it...your sound is already good it will just fill in nicer with a sub

sorry I can't help with recording..I suck at recording

yeah, when i first started playing, i was jamming along to fear factory's obsolete cd, on some songs dino is tuned down a. now, i mainly prefer the drop tunig for doing some experimenting with chords.

for the sub cab, i would like to try one, as i think it would improve the overall mix of the band. but they are pretty rare around here, so i have not had the chance to play one. and i kinda like the engl cab a lot, so for now i will stick with it.

• Members

Man, I hate Riveras, lol. I had a Knucklehead for awhile and I just loathed it. Dunno why. Everything about em screams "great {censored}ing amp", I just can't stand em. That first clip wasn't bad, tho.

Try lowering the gain, and moving the mic a little farther away from the speaker to clarify the low end. Gain and low end are the two things that you will want far less of than you think when recording. You will probably want more mids than you think as well, all though that clip sounded pretty healthy in the midrange.

Is the mic positioned right on the speaker cone? I always like to start there, with the amp a little bright, and then move out towards the edge of the speaker until I get a good balance between cut and meat. Then I will re-EQ the amp.

Engineering yourself is terribly hard until you have some personal tricks up your sleeve. Auditory memory recall is awful, and comparing tones when you are the one moving things is a bitch. When someone else is moving things, so you have less time between tones to compare, it is infinitely easier, IMHO.

Make sure you take a break and not listen to anything for awhile to let your ears readjust to baseline every once in awhile.

Good luck, and keep at it. :thu:

Archived