Good Mic Preamp?

gooman

• Members

Originally posted by vlad

The RNP is supposed to be a really good inexpensive mic pre. I borrowed SuperStrat's GT Brick for a couple weeks and it's also quite nice.

If you ever wanna Brick, holla, a friend of mine is a pro audio dealer.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by StevieRaveOn

Hey,

He could get a Germanium, I'm not pushin'.
;)

The whole mic pre thing is a very very tough call... Alot tougher than guitar amps. You can't hear the results until you stack tracks upon tracks upon tracks.

• Members

Originally posted by charlieg6

Yeah, the RNP is great! I own it, a Great River, and a DMP3, and I would say the RNP is closer to the Great River than it is to the DMP3 (which is saying a lot considering the price). I haven't used the 002, so I didn't want to compare directly to that.

How does it really compare to the GR?

• Members

How does it really compare to the GR?

The RNP stacks up pretty well (esp. when you consider the cost is about 1/4 per channel that the ME-1NV is). The Great River has some cool features that allow you to add color either by cranking the output transformer and adjusting the impedance and loading.

Side by side, the RNP is cleaner sounding (comparatively) while the GR has more color. As far as detail, they are really close, although the ability of the GR to keep detail while adding that low end warmth is REALLY cool.

In short, if you don't own any high end pres, I would def. buy the RNP first simply to get a stereo pair of high quality preamps- you're going to hear the difference from your old stuff. Once you step into the $1k/channel range, it becomes more of a personal choice.

• Members

The RNP stacks up pretty well (esp. when you consider the cost is about 1/4 per channel that the ME-1NV is). The Great River has some cool features that allow you to add color either by cranking the output transformer and adjusting the impedance and loading.

Side by side, the RNP is cleaner sounding (comparatively) while the GR has more color. As far as detail, they are really close, although the ability of the GR to keep detail while adding that low end warmth is REALLY cool.

In short, if you don't own any high end pres, I would def. buy the RNP first simply to get a stereo pair of high quality preamps- you're going to hear the difference from your old stuff. Once you step into the $1k/channel range, it becomes more of a personal choice.

You wouldn't happen to have any clips of the 2 would ya?

• Members

The whole mic pre thing is a very very tough call... Alot tougher than guitar amps. You can't hear the results until you stack tracks upon tracks upon tracks.

That's why you buy all of them silly... :D We think we're gear whores, watch some of the recording forums like Gear Slutz and stuff.... we are humbled and shamed. OR those might be good places to show wives, you married folks... if you're lady can be distracted by the "Hey, I'm not as bad as them" thing. :)

• Members
Originally posted by StevieRaveOn

That's why you buy all of them silly...
:D
We think we're gear whores, watch some of the recording forums like Gear Slutz and stuff.... we are humbled and shamed.
OR
those might be good places to show wives, you married folks... if you're lady can be distracted by the "Hey, I'm not as bad as them" thing.
:)

Yeah... I've told my wife about those crazy recording dudes with their $5k monitors, $10k mic pres, $8 mastering eq's... :D

And I'm not sure I can hear the difference between something like a Great River or some exotic vintage Neve... :D

• Members

You wouldn't happen to have any clips of the 2 would ya?

Sorry, nothing really side by side on the same source- and even then I don't like "comparison clips" of things because there are so many other variables.

If you call up Mercenary Audio, they will let you buy both at the same time, try them out side by side, and return one if you don't like it (they will place a hold on your credit card, of course).

• Members

Originally posted by Def_Pearl_Pilot

I second this. If you do wanna go better I would still go lightpipe rather then use their converters, which are decent.

Gooman,

Do you have any clips of the cobra/5150 using your current setup? You should be able to get good results with your setup assuming there isn't something else mucking things up.

• Members

Sorry, nothing really side by side on the same source- and even then I don't like "comparison clips" of things because there are so many other variables.

If you call up Mercenary Audio, they will let you buy both at the same time, try them out side by side, and return one if you don't like it (they will place a hold on your credit card, of course).

That's pretty cool that they do that... :D I'll have to remember that... ;)

• Members

I second this. If you do wanna go better I would still go lightpipe rather then use their converters, which are decent.

I can't imagine the Digi mic pres and converters being all that bad...

• Members

ha..your wrong..its the best choice..
Avalon eat everything..and they have more thickness and pure tone.
I wouldnt use anything else..they list for $2000 and they blow away more expensive pre's...try again..

Originally posted by Tone Monster

Not the best choice for guitars IMO.

• Members

I can't imagine the Digi mic pres and converters being all that bad...

I think the pres are fine and the converters are decent. I'm just saying that if you are going to be anal about it, then go [Mic Pre of choice] ==> [Converter of Choice] ==> DIGI002 lightpipe.

• Members
Originally posted by Dave Owens

ha..your wrong..its the best choice..

Avalon eat everything..and they have more thickness and pure tone.

I wouldnt use anything else..they list for $2000 and they blow away more expensive pre's...try again..

...I like Stomp 442 ;)

• Members

I think the pres are fine and the converters are decent. I'm just saying that if you are going to be anal about it, then go [Mic Pre of choice] ==> [Converter of Choice] ==> DIGI002 lightpipe.

I agree...

A 2 channel Apogee would be cool...

• Members
Originally posted by Dave Owens

me 2..your the 1st person to regonize the album cover...

i think its one of the best pure albums that anthrax ever made..

John bush sings his ass off..

I agree about Bush, he's great on that album, and one of my fav Anthrax albums for sure. :thu:

• Members

hey andrew..check your PM's...:)

Archived