Freelance (paid!) synth preset work? Anyone do any?

J05H

• Members

Looking to break into the field. Do any of the manufacturers hire outside help? Has anyone here ever done that kind of work? I've been pursuing a certain manufacturer, and while they enjoy the work I've done on their latest machine, they're dragging their feet on collaborating.

Are there other avenues I can take? Should I do some spec (free) work just to begin building a portfolio? I have no professional experience in this field, but I think I've got desireable skills. All the "freelancer" websites say I should look for local work first, but the only local synth manufacturer is John Bowen, I believe. Maybe I'll call and ask nicely about working on the Solaris. :love:

:confused:

• Members

make them and sell them yourself via the internet and build up a reputation or give them away for free..

i think in most anything these days you have to do what you do and build up your own buzz using the internet before anyone will look at you seriously unless you've been grandfathered in from the old days..

• Members
make them and sell them yourself via the internet and build up a reputation or give them away for free..

I thought about this, but then I realized that I don't want to build a web store... but I'd also like to attach some kind of value to my work. That's why I want to work directly with a manufacturer. I don't care if THEY want to give the sounds away, but I'd like to be paid for the sounds I create for them.

• Members

The key question is "why should they hire you"?

1) They have to get to know you somehow

2) They have to believe you do quality work, somehow better than existing people they hire

To get exposure, you probably should create some sounds for free. Also, you could sell sounds on eBay -- no need to set up your own webstore.

Archived