Marshall jubilee: diodes or no diodes?

spoonie g

• Members

Originally posted by grumphh

Have you ever considered the possibility that tube clipping is only pleasant to our ears because amp techs spend countless hours tring to get tubes to behave in a pleasant way?

That you can indeed make tube distortion sound quite horrible?

That in fact it is not so much the component, rather than the engineer you can hear in the final product?

Just some food for thought...

Listen, let me break down what I said: You and others like what you like, I and others like what we like. Big deal.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by The Idiot

Yes it does.

The SL-X doesn't. While the MKIII has diodes, it's voiced differently than the Dual Reverb, and thus has its own character.

The Sl-x is the only single channel 900 I know of.....

• Members

Originally posted by rockon1000

Ever wonder why tubes are still produced at all? Guitar amps are the single most important reason.They just naturally clip in a way thats is more pleasing to guitarists ears. The beauty of tubes is that "techs" dont need to spend countless hours trying to get tubes to behave in a pleasant way. In fact often the simplest designs work best.Convesrsely techs have been trying to use diodes,modeling and anything they can think of to do the same thing tubes do easily for decades. Tube amps still thrive for a reason.
;)

+1

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

For the record, I did own a Jubilee (I think a forumite still has it) and it was a cool amp, just not what I needed at the time. I've owned 'all toob' Marshalls that it sounded better than though.

Pete

Still got it Pete:thu: And it sounds great, wonderful distortion tone.

Bottomline if the diode clipping bothers you Spoonie, then get another amp besides the Jubilee. It sounds like you already have an SLX, so go back to playing that....

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

Wrong. diodes aren't an on/off switch: the amount of clip is very small at first, and there is more clipping as there is more voltage. If you adjust your playing dynamics, it won't overdrive as much.

Pete

:o

thanks for correcting me

• Members

Originally posted by rockon1000

Ever wonder why tubes are still produced at all? Guitar amps are the single most important reason.They just naturally clip in a way thats is more pleasing to guitarists ears. The beauty of tubes is that "techs" dont need to spend countless hours trying to get tubes to behave in a pleasant way. In fact often the simplest designs work best.Convesrsely techs have been trying to use diodes,modeling and anything they can think of to do the same thing tubes do easily for decades. Tube amps still thrive for a reason.
;)

I think we can do it...make semi conducters that do everything tubes do

• Members

Originally posted by spoonie g

The Sl-x is the only single channel 900 I know of.....

Well now you know of two:thu:

When the 900 series came out they came out in two flavors, the dual reverb and the single channel High Gain MKIII (which I own by the way and it sounds sweet). The SL-X (known as the MKIV) was Marshall's answer to Mesa Boogie's Rectifier series; it came out in 93', three years after the MKIII. They are basically the same amp except the SL-X contains 4 preamp tubes and has no diodes. Steve Vai owns a MKIII and once claimed it was his favorite amp - he still uses it as a backup to his Carvin Legacy amps.

thomasrack.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

Still got it Pete:thu: And it sounds great, wonderful distortion tone.

Bottomline if the diode clipping bothers you Spoonie, then get another amp besides the Jubilee. It sounds like you already have an SLX, so go back to playing that....

I don't. I have an Orange and an ac-30.

• Members

Just for the record, the Jubilee got an all tube signal path in the clean channel, rhythm clip knob disengaged of course.

Originally posted by Ray18

If I get his right

a dist pedal uses to halves of an opamp..the first stage amplifies your guitar signal..and then the output is put through some diodes which "clip" the ends of you siganl off distortiing it, then the other half just amplifies this...in between the stages the signal; it gets filtered and stuff

but in something like a fuzzface, the signal gets amplified by by one transistor so much that it bangs the {censored} out of the second one causing distortion...the way in which the wave is distorted looks pretty similar to the diode, but the harmonic content or seomthing is different.

In a tube amp like the jcm800..the first tube stage hits another and that's where your distortion comes from BUT tubes distort in a way that isn't just ON/OFF like diodes...different harmonics distort at different amplitudes so that it's a more subtle and linear ascent into distortion.. that's why the "just breaking up" sound is hard to get from diode devices

asymmetrical clipping is a decent sort of imitation of the way tubes break up.

Player like me (rock guitarists) don't dig diodes..mostly because we don't use channel switching amps with like shaved balls clean or thundering distortion..we get from clean to slightly dirty to fairly overdriven to full on woman tone by adjusting our volume and playing dynamics.

So that's why the old guys hate diodes and why diodes are cool for the full on slash type guys

Yup you're right, the only thing I don't agree with you is the last paragraph. If you'd ever care to try a Jubilee amp you'd quickly see that it is a terrific amp, even for cool, true rock guys. It's not one of those cheap channel switchers with a cheesy too-clean channel and an over-the-top-gainy-mess dirty channel.

The clean channel breaks up nicely like a good JCM800, no diods in the signal path. You can control the amount of gain with your volume knob, and since the amp has got really a simple layout it's touch sensitive and dynamic. Maybe not as open as a Plexi, but it's not meant to be one. Because of the classic non-diod layout of the clean channel Jubilee, you can acheive your "just breaking up"-sound easily.

Kick in the OD channel, and the amp still preserves it's crunchy Marshall sound, but with a fat, mild distortion on top. Again, roll back the volume to control the gain :idea: The OD preamp uses asymmetrical clipping of three diods, and two LED, which have provide a subtle and linear clipping, emulating a tube. The natural overdrive of the Jubilee will smooth out any harsh diod-like sound at higher volume thanks to the preamp tubes and the classic Marshall power stage.

'guess I like the Jubilee :rolleyes: Yeah, I do, 'cos I prefer classic Marshall sounds, with the option to kick in a slightly modern flavour any time. A Boogie e.g. might have an all tube signal path, but I prefer simple amps with less gain stages, which preserve the dynamics of a tube amp - diods or not. After a certain level of distortion the sound will get buzzy and overly compressed anyway, even with tubes (see: 5150 Peavey e.g.). You won't reach that point with the Jubilee... file closed :thu:

BTW: Cool to know that SRV, Jimi Hendrix, Gary Moore and Billy Gibbons and others all got shaved balls! :wave:

Archived