OT: Misfits ... appreciate!

FallofEmpyrean

• Members

I've been on a (Danzig-era, of course) Misfits tangent lately, and every time I put on "Walk Among Us" or "Collection I" I just remember how fantastic they are. They're probably one of my 5 favorite bands of all time. What are your top 5 Misfits tunes?

This is probably close for me:

Skulls

Ghouls Night Out

Astro Zombies

Halloween

Return of the Fly

• Members

i've been a huge misfits fan since i was like 9 years old.
great band.
i thought the 2 albums they did with graves were phenominal as well, especially famous monsters.

i don't get how people got so snobby towards them when they got graves.
its not like they changed much. its still catchy 3 chord punk songs about horror movies with killer hooks, only better production.

misfits live is a fun time no matter who is in the band.

• Members

I liked the Graves-era Misfits, as well, but Danzig-era is my favorite. But they were fun still with Graves.

However, I disagree with your second comment. I saw them live last year with Jerry Only doing vocals and it was horrendous.

(a) Jerry Only can't sing ... he just shouts the vocals, ruining the entire point of the Misfits.
(b) They played the songs way too fast, so that even if Jerry sang the vocal parts, they were too fast to be effective

It was a total waste of money.

• Members
Originally posted by FallofEmpyrean

I liked the Graves-era Misfits, as well, but Danzig-era is my favorite. But they were fun still with Graves.

However, I disagree with your second comment. I saw them live last year with Jerry Only doing vocals and it was horrendous.

(a) Jerry Only can't sing ... he just shouts the vocals, ruining the entire point of the Misfits.

(b) They played the songs way too fast, so that even if Jerry sang the vocal parts, they were too fast to be effective

every time i've seen them with only singing its been a blast. usually its a small venue packed to the roof, i'm nice and drunk, and since the crowd is usually singing along so loud, you can barely tell that only sounds like {censored}! :D

i don't know, i always have a blast when they come.
its always a great vibe in the crowd too. very friendly punk mosh and sing along kinda vibe, not that beat the {censored} out of each other and pay no mind to the band kind of crap that goes on at metal and hardcore shows these days.

• Members

Originally posted by JiroJan

for a person who hasnt heard much of them (but i like what heard) what is a good place to start?

songs or cds

they have a few compilations out, so that would be a great place to start.

• Members

Originally posted by JimAnsell

misfits live is a fun time no matter who is in the band.

Not true... saw them last Saturday at a big, outdoor music festival. Didn't enjoy them at all. The energy just wasn't there, Jerry Only's voice was really strained... I wasn't impressed. I'd only heard the Danzig-era stuff on CD before, and it was a big difference.

BUT I think the venue had a lot to do with it. Sitting out on a sunny lawn is not the best atmosphere to take in a band like the Misfits. A dank, dour club like you see all the time in 80s movies would have suited it much, MUCH better.

It was funny, though, watching their fans (many with Fiend Club tattoos!) trying to mosh ...on a sloping lawn. As soon as anyone got it, they would immediately lose footing and fall rapidly down the lawn until they'd hit a metal gate, usually hard enough to daze them. This must have happened to 30+ people...

• Members

+1!!!

• Members

I've been on a (Danzig-era, of course) Misfits tangent lately, and every time I put on "Walk Among Us" or "Collection I" I just remember how fantastic they are. They're probably one of my 5 favorite bands of all time. What are your top 5 Misfits tunes?

This is probably close for me:

Skulls

Ghouls Night Out

Astro Zombies

Halloween

Return of the Fly

I try not to listen to The Misfits too often because the songs get stuck in my head for weeks. Great stuff!

• Members

Although Samhain was my favorite of Danzig's bands and I've little use for Jerry's Misfits, you really can't go wrong with any of the original stuff. Wow.

As far as where to start, Fall of Empyrean's advice is watertight.

For what its worth, my favs:

1. Bloodfeast
2. Some Kinda Hate
3. Hybrid Moments
4. Vampira
5. London Dungeon

~ghibby

• Members

One of the most awsome bands ever.

My all time 5 favorites have to be in order:

All Hell Breaks Loose
American Nightmare
Bullet
Green Hell
Spinal Remains

I've always wanted to know how they got that weird guitar sound they had during the Danzig days. Anybody can help?

• Members

i LOVE the Misfits!

i hated them until my brother sent me a tape of American Psycho and i decided to give it a whirl. when it hit Dig Up Her Bones i was instantly hooked. Graves is my favorite, but i love the Danzig era as well...both great.

i actually went and saw Graves not too long ago, and he did a good bit of the stuff he did with the Misfits (Dig Up Her Bones, Descending Angel, Saturday Night, Crawling Eye, American Psycho...) and his full album as well. and he was a REALLY great guy...nice, talked to us, hung out a little, signed stuff. hes a lot smaller than i imagined...LOL but a great guy none-the-less, and a MONSTER performer!

my band covers Astro Zombies as well...last night we had a gig, we played first and did Astro Zombies and it seems that the other two bands were gonna do it too LMAO! but it was ok :) everyone loves the misfits in our circle!

Archived