OT: Do Trem Blocks Muffle Strats?

Loghead

• Members

depending on what string gauge you're using, you may end up needing all 5 springs and the claw screwed all the way in.

ok, so i was running 13's at the time......

try it with just more springs first to pull the bridge flat, and see where that gets you

• Members

Originally posted by BluePowder7

depending on what string gauge you're using, you may end up needing all 5 springs and the claw screwed all the way in.

ok, so i was running 13's at the time......

try it with just more springs first to pull the bridge flat, and see where that gets you

Welp, I've been using 12s and 13s for a long time now, but I was thinking of using 10s on this particular guitar.

• Members

I would just use the springs.

Adding mass to your strat with a piece of would wood have the potential to mess with the sound of it.

One of my guitars uses a Gatorade bottle cap to block off the trem. It's always been a strange sounding guitar, so I guess I couldn't really tell when I did something to it. The tone must really be gone since there's an EMG 81 in the bridge slot, and some of the frets have been scalloped.

Boy, it's depressing to talk about your mangled gear.

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

I would just use the springs.

Adding mass to your strat with a piece of would wood have the potential to mess with the sound of it.

Yeah. I think that's the way I'll start.

• Members

Originally posted by cyndicate

Heres what I did with my strat, I just plays bluesy and clean stuff with it, so im using 9's, didnt really have to add any more springs to increase tension

IMG_2328.jpg

Yeah. I know the deal inside, but I've always added a block.

• Members

Originally posted by Loghead

Well, I've been listening to a lot of Frank Zappa recently.

I've always wanted to buy a FZ album. When I go to the record store there's always 10+ of his albums to choose from. I fear getting a bad one.

I have heard one song though. It had something to do with a mud shark.

So, what other kind of stuff?

• Members

I've always wanted to buy a FZ album. When I go to the record store there's always 10+ of his albums to choose from. I fear getting a bad one.

I have heard one song though. It had something to do with a mud shark.

So, what other kind of stuff?

Yeah, that's a problem with Zappa. I think he has about seventy albums.

If I listen to it, it's a safe bet that the writers and performers are dead or really old.

• Members

Originally posted by Loghead

Yeah, that's a problem with Zappa. I think he has about seventy albums.

If I listen to it, it's a safe bet that the writers and performers are dead or really old.

Cavement beating on cave walls?

• Members

I dont think they "muffle" them. Some will swear they have increased sustain and such, but I think the trem gives the strat some of its sort of natural "reverb" and breathing room, if you know what I mean, which I really like. I think it really helps it be that "strat" sound.

• Members

Cavement beating on cave walls?

You tell me. Right in front of me I seem to have John Scofield's Groove Elation and Grace Under Pressure. Under those I have FZ's Bongo Fury. Under that I've got James Brown's Black Caesar. Then Jimmy Witherspoon & Robben Ford Live; then Hendrix Live at the Fillmore East; then FZ's Apostrophe, One Size Fits All, and Roxy and Elsewhere.

Archived