ENGL dilema! Please help me!

Coverdale

• Members

Hey guys!

I've been offered and Engl Blackmore (with pedalboard) trade for my MP1 Classic rig.

The guy said it was working completely, just a broken MID knob (probably easy to fix, I'd guess)

The guy is coming to meet me on Sunday and if it's all ok, we'll have a deal...

On the other hand, I spoke about this deal to a friend, and he told me he'd trade me his Savage 60 (old version) for that RB.

The Savage guy, I trust him completely...so what do you guys think I should do? Keep the RB or get the Savage? Which one would suit me better?

I usually play small to medium clubs...but I also have a Princeton Reverb for smaller gigs...

My kind of sound is bluesy rock, to 80's hard rock, with a big focus on 70's classic rock... I love Doug Aldrich's tone...

So please give me a hand here....

Thanks

Joao

• Members

Well, I love the Blackmore so I'll definately say its a great amp that will do what you need, but I'm not 100% about the original Savage, I don't think its just a lower wattage of the current Savage 120. Try PM'ing Lord Riffenstein, he's pretty much an expert on all things Savage related, old and new.

• Members

Thanks for you help guys... I talked again with the seller, and he says the pot is broken, but he can get it to work (don't know how)

Even if it's really broken, it's probably an easy fix, right?

He said it's a "workingman's amp" so the tolex has some scratches, but nothing too serious. He sent me a pic, but it's really too small to see anything.

He'll come to my town on Sunday, so I'll probably do the trade.

The RB looks like a better choice, from your words...

I guess my ADA days maybe be over...

:rolleyes:

EDIT: How are the cleans on the Blackmore?

• Members

the old version of the savage is supposed to be geared more towards rock with less gain the newer version. i read a review in a really old mag and it said it wasnt for metal. the new one deff can do metal...

• Members

LordRiffenstein, thanks for posting so quickly!

I'm really just surprised about this whole deal... I was thinking about getting an amp, but a cheap one loke a Sovtek Mig or something... but I was talking to Doug Aldrich after the Whitesnake show and he and my (savage owner) friend talked about the Blackmore, and on the next day, this deal shows up...

Let's see if it works out good...I'll have some news on Sunday...

• Members

satannica, I really like the Mp1 Classic and I really would like to get another one in the future...but the Microtube, I don't like it that much, even though it's a really useful and light poweramp.

But the deal seems great for my side, and that's why I should probably go for it...

• Members

Well, I got the Engl Blackmore and pedalboard, traded for the Mp1 Classic, the Mt100, and a (not working) Hughes&Kettner VS250.

It does have a broken MID pot. Should I try to replace it? It can be turned even though it is a bit hard to do it and know in what position it's at...

I'll use my replifex on it's fx loop, and try some pedals on it too, but only next friday, cause I'm away during the week because of college exams.

Pics coming soon...it's beat up, but it looks vintage!

:D

Oh, It doesnt have the 25w switch... I guess i'll have to keep the master down...

• Members

WOW. Cool amp. It looks pretty {censored}ed up but it just adds to its character.

I'd still replace the tolex though. Go for something unique. Crocodile look alike (ala mesa) black tolex, or that black and white snake skin, or even something in purple would look cool. Hey, what about GOLD tolex! that would look cool with the gold face plate. You could even paint the lights inside the amp yellow.

Or just leave it how it is... whatever.

• Members

I'll be using the amp (for now) with two ADA 2x12 Splitstacks (vertical 2x12's)

Their original speakers are too thin and harsh sounding. I've exchanged 2 of them for V30s. And I was hoping to change the other 2.

Got any tips, Blackmore users?

Archived