Shall we stick a fork in the Dallas Mavericks?

batotman

• Members

Originally posted by Urban Ghandi

I'm not sure the NBA was thinking about someone the size of Shack when they came up with that rule.

How many times have people intentionally fouled Shack only to watch him take the foul like a Mosquito and make the easy 1ft shot.

1st of all, do you really think that size should matter? thats just absurd.

and lastly, did you even see the foul? he got laid out, thats why he was so pissed. he got hit hard, period.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

I wasn't aware of that rule. I thought it was the technical....free throws and possesion of the ball.

Now "fighting" is ejection.

well as for the last part of what you said, cant you see how a flagrant could lead to a fight? Shoot, it would have in this case had Wade not held him down lol.

• Members

Originally posted by nvcreations

1st of all, do you really think that size should matter? with your logic it would be like saying it would have been alright for spud webb jump kicking shaq...

and lastly, did you even see the foul? he got laid out, thats why he was so pissed. he got hit hard, period.

Do you play basketball?

I too am somewhat big (6'5" - 230) and a bball player. You foul me and most likely you'll feel most of the pain and I'll still probably make the bucket.

I foul you, you will hit the floor simply due to my size advantage.

So, when fouling me, you will have to bring the house if you wanna stop me because I am stronger.

Yes, I saw the foul.

This problem is amplified by 1000 times when you have a freak like Shack out there...how hard is hard...hell, he out weighs Stackhouse by 100lbs and a 1/2 a foot taller.

I know Stackhouse wasn't trying to hurt him but it is the play-offs and you cannot let him make that basket.

Shack is probably the hardest person in the NBA to ref....

• Members

Do you play basketball?

I too am somewhat big (6'5" - 230) and a bball player. You foul me and most likely you'll feel most of the pain and I'll still probably make the bucket.

ummmm, ok?

So, when fouling me, you will have to bring the house if you wanna stop me because I am stronger.

again, ok?

look, it doesnt matter if some one drives an elbow in your head and you flinch or not, its a foul

Yes, I saw the foul.

This problem is amplified by 1000 times when you have a freak like Shack out there...how hard is hard...hell, he out weighs Stackhouse by 100lbs and a 1/2 a foot taller.

exactly the point, not only was it excessive contact, but he laid shaq out.

I know Stackhouse wasn't trying to hurt him but it is the play-offs and you cannot let him make that basket.

and you also cant give fouls like that. every one knows how much more they call fouls in the playoffs.

• Members

The NBA is a joke now to me. It's rigged. Go look at how many foul shots Dallas took in Games 1/2 then compare to Games 3-5. Shocking difference. The Refs call phantom fouls left and right(that one last night on Wade's last drive? get real). The refs favor the Home teams in ALL games instead of calling the games straight up. That way they get more 7 game series = more TV revenue. Proof will come next game when Dallas ends up going to the line WAAAAY more than Miami will..just watch.

• Members

I have a feeling you would not like guarding me in a meaningful game.
:p

oh yawn, stop flexing your cyber muscles.

I have a feeling you would not like gaurding me in a debate.

btw meaningful game? does that mean we can take our relationship to the next level?

• Members

this is what I am talking about, people not knowing what a flagrant is. It does NOT rely on a foul being "intentionally violent."

a flagrant is unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent OR
unnecessary and excessive contact
committed by a player against an opponent. It is an unsportsmanlike act and the offender is ejected immediately

I'll throw in my .02

I played alot of ball in HS and College, and I coached a HS team for 1 year while I was teaching high school.

Flagrant fouls are something that very few fans understand, even some players and coaches.

In the NBA the refs have the option to call a Flagrant "1" or Flagrant "2". Now which one is called is up to the discretion of the referee, and the unique players and situation.

In general though, a Flagrant 1 is for when there is unneccessary contact, or an unneccessarily hard foul in which the person initiating the contact is NOT playing the ball, but rather trying to hit/knock down another player.

A Flagrant 2 is the same as above, but when it is clear that in doing to the person initiating the contact has the intention of Injuring the other player, or initiating a fight by the contact. A Flagrant 2 means automatic ejection.

I think the call should have been a F1, which is what it was on the floor...which is why Stack was able to finish playing the game. Upon review of the video, the refs/commish probably realized that although Stack clearly didn't intend to do bodily harm to Shaq, it was pretty clear that his intention was to initiate a fight with Shaq....causing Shaq to pick up his 2nd tech and be ejected himself. Which was why they yanked Stack from the next game.

IMHO, it was a very, very bad choice of action. A better course of action would have been to recognize that you called it wrong, issue a warning the the players involved, and let Stack play.

The problem with the situation was NOT Stack's hard foul, but the way it was called. IMHO, Stackhouse's foul on Shaq was brilliant basketball strategy, and well within the realm of what can be expected in an NBA playoffs game. If Shaq had stood up and taken a swing at Stackhouse, Shaq would have been out the next game for sure, maybe more.....

• Members

this is what I am talking about, people not knowing what a flagrant is. It does NOT rely on a foul being "intentionally violent."

a flagrant is unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent OR
unnecessary and excessive contact
committed by a player against an opponent. It is an unsportsmanlike act and the offender is ejected immediately

Okay, you're an expert in NBA rules. Fair enough. If they're following the letter of the rule, fine. However, IMHO, if that's the case, I don't care for the rule if it results in situations like that... The event struck me as not excessive and resulted in a key player missing an entire game. As a fan, I found it bogus regardless of whether the rule was being applied correctly or not. Maybe the rule should be reconsidered/revisted by the league.

EDIT: Just saw the prior post about Flagrant 1 vs Flagrant 2. Now that actually makes *some* sense anyway... I was confused by him playing the game he actually fouled in and then being expelled for the entire next game. I completely agree that the warning thing, etc would've made much more sense.

• Members

HAHA, i haven't been around since last week and the last thing i remember is seeing a thread "Shall we stick a fork in the Miami Heat". Yup, this is the last place to come looking for advice if you're a betting man. I originally said Heat in 6 and i be sticking to it.

• Members
Originally posted by danyeo

HAHA, i haven't been around since last week and the last thing i remember is seeing a thread "Shall we stick a fork in the Miami Heat". Yup, this is the last place to come looking for advice if you're a betting man. I originally said Heat in 6 and i be sticking to it.

The A's are in first place. ;):cool:

• Members
Originally posted by Megadeth7684

The A's are in first place.
;):cool:

Yeah but the West stinks. Seattle is bad, the Angels are having a dreadful season and Texas has no pitching at all. But i think the Angels will make a run by at least mid July just like the A's did last year. A lot of teams have issues right now, the Red Sox offense isn't too scary. The Yankees have had a million injuries. I think the Tigers have a LOT to prove. I don't like the White Sox but they have great pitching.

I hate to say it but the best team in baseball is the Mets right now. But, lots of baseball has yet to be played.

• Members
Originally posted by Elric

Random observations (from a Finals-only NBA fan
;)
):

Overall, I'm pretty unimpressed with the Mavericks for as good as they supposedly were in the regular season. Jason Terry is the only player who has consistently stepped up. I'm really surprised because I thought Nowitzki was supposed to be amazing but he seems to be a total 'streak' player in this context.

Dwayne Wade is amazing when he's on but if they shut him down Miami is f*cked. Shaq is really nearly as much a liability as he is a force.

Cuban acts like an ass. I wouldn't mind seeing Dallas lose solely to see him go ape.

FWIW, I'm fairly impartial but I'm more or less rooting for the Heat since my six year old son loves them/Shaq but I'm pretty underwhelmed by either team. Terry and Wade are probably the two most exciting players in the finals, so far.

Ten bucks says Dallas wins the next game.

Yeah, I'm unimpressed with Dallas' new and improved defense. Playing a team that has bad offense doesn't necessarily make you a good defensive team.

• Members
Originally posted by DannyM

Any team that has to go to the hack a shaq stragedy does not deserve to win the game or a title.

Originally posted by FINGERFUNK

You would think that a team who uses that strategy wouldn't cry so much about a foul.

They just lost 3 games in a row and lost a 2 - 0 series lead and blew a chance to go up 3 games to 0 in the final minutes of game 3. They'll cry about any and everything at this point. Thats why AJ was acting like a dick......the pressure of the finals and being on the verge of choking has got to him.

Notice how quiet Mavs and Cuban fanboys got all of a sudden ?
There @$$ and mouth have sure tightened up.laugh.gif

• Members

Do you play basketball?

Yes, I saw the foul.

I think the problem came, not with the hit, but with the forearm to the head and the fact that he extended his arm across Shaq's head (excessive and unnecessary). And the fact that Shaq was in a compromising position and could've been seriously hurt had he come down wrong. Being down by that much, it wouldn't have mattered if shaq got 2 more points.

Had that been Artest, he would've been out for the series (did you see his foul on Ginoboli? that was nothing compared to Stack's on Shaq).

• Members

They just lost 3 games in a row and lost a 2 - 0 series lead and blew a chance to go up 3 games to 0 in the final minutes of game 3. They'll cry about any and everything at this point. Thats why AJ was acting like a dick......the pressure of the finals and being on the verge of choking has got to him.

There @$$ and mouth have sure tightened up.
laugh.gif

The funny thing is: The foul that was called was essentially the same foul that was called against Ginoboli in game 7 (that took them into overtime and eventualy into the western conference finals).

I don't remember Mavs fans crying when that happened.

• Members

There @$$ and mouth have sure tightened up.
laugh.gif

I said I should retract my smack talking about Wade and the Heat earlier in this thread. ;)

Sorry, but they looked pathetic the first two games. :freak:

Archived