Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo

DJL2

• Members

I've currently got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, which apart from being f**king unreliable has rubbish drive channels.

So I'm looking for a very versatile amp - ie Blues, Rock, Funk, Country, Punk - I'll play anything.

I've just been to look at the Mesa F50, which was nice, but then I tried the Rect-O-Verb and WOW, it sounded so much better. I had the opinion that Mesas were very much punk/metal amps but it sounded good playing all styles.

So, what other amps out there are similar to the Mesa Rect-O-Verb that I should have a play with? Any other recommendations?

Cheers, Daniel

• Members

I really like my rectoverb. There are a lot of great tones available. The clean is nice, round, and punchy. Channel 2 has the best distortion I've ever heard out of a recto. I've always stayed away from dual or triple rectos because they sounded buzzy and fizzy to me, but the single kicks all kinds of ass on the vintage mode. Just a huge sound. The raw setting can get you some nice bluesy tones. It's not really a blues amp or a country amp though. This amp excells for hard rock, metal, punk or anything requiring great distortion. The low gain sounds are good, but not its strength. You might also want to check out a fender supersonic.

Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by DJL2

So, what other amps out there are similar to the Mesa Rect-O-Verb that I should have a play with? Any other recommendations?

Cheers, Daniel

Nothing the Rectro is an awesome amp. I have the Version 1, w/ a 1x12 rectro ext cab.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hey DJL2,

Check out Jim Price of Omega Amps before you get rid of your Hot Rod Deluxe:

http://www.omegaamps.com/mods2.html

I bought a used Hot Rod Deluxe amp in bad shape for $250.00USD, restored to being functional and sent mine to Jim to have the amp revoiced. The clean channel is blackface now and the drive/more drive channels sounds like a nice early '70s Marshall tone. I love the sound of my amp now and use it on gigs with no overdrive boxes. I had Jim fix all the issues concerning reliability including installing Cliff input jacks on the instrument inputs, preamp output, and footswitch input.

Guitar George

Archived