OT: Car guys, recemmend me a beater for work.

fiveightandten

• Members

I work for an environmental company and we drive all around creation. I'm tired of taking work equipment in and out of my trunk whenever I need it for gear, and racking up miles on my car (Integra GSR).

Stipulations:

-$1500 or less, preferably

-4 cylinder. I'll entertain 6's, but it needs to get gas mileage like woah. I'm used to 30+ with my Integra

-Manual is prefereable, but if it's something with a relaible auto, that's ok.

-No pickups, I need something with a sheltered trunk.

-Relability is a big concern. I don't want to buy something I need to dump money into constantly to keep it running. I do most of my own work so typical stuff is ok (brakes, hoses, belts, starter or alternator here and there). But cars that have reputations for high dollar repairs are out of the question.

FWIW, I've owned a bunch of Hondas and I know them inside out. I'm also very familar with Toyotas, Celicas and Camrys.

The list so far is:

-Early 90's Honda Accord

-Early 90's g2 Acura Integra ($1500 may be a stretch, but possible)

-Late 80's BMW 318

-Early 90's Toyota Celica

-Early 90's Toyota Camry

School me on more German or other European cars, and any American stuff that won't make me gag. Any comments or help is welcome.

-Nick

• Members

Originally posted by fiveightandten

I work for an environmental company and we drive all around creation. I'm tired of taking work equipment in and out of my trunk whenever I need it for gear, and racking up miles on my car (Integra GSR).

Stipulations:

-$1500 or less, preferably

-4 cylinder. I'll entertain 6's, but it needs to get gas mileage like woah. I'm used to 30+ with my Integra

-Manual is prefereable, but if it's something with a relaible auto, that's ok.

-No pickups, I need something with a sheltered trunk.

-Relability is a big concern. I don't want to buy something I need to dump money into constantly to keep it running. I do most of my own work so typical stuff is ok (brakes, hoses, belts, starter or alternator here and there). But cars that have reputations for high dollar repairs are out of the question.

FWIW, I've owned a bunch of Hondas and I know them inside out. I'm also very familar with Toyotas, Celicas and Camrys.

The list so far is:

-Early 90's Honda Accord

-Early 90's g2 Acura Integra ($1500 may be a stretch, but possible)

-Late 80's BMW 318

-Early 90's Toyota Celica

-Early 90's Toyota Camry

School me on more German or other European cars, and any American stuff that won't make me gag. Any comments or help is welcome.

-Nick

Honda and Toyota are reliable makes from the list you have. You might want to check out some Mazda makes as well.

• Members

might want to check out some earlier base model saturns. i got my 97 saturn sc1 for $3k with 50k miles. you could probably find maybe a 96-98 sc1/sl1 for around $1500 with around 100k miles. great gas mileage...i average 30-34 mpg city (stop and go pizza delivery)

• Members

Hondas and Toyotas last and are reliable like a mofo.

If kept up well, those cars last forever. When they die, it's usually because someone forgot to put oil or water in them.

My mom had this POS Honda that we got for $800. It came with a bunch of miles on it already. She would drive it at least 100 miles each day, and it was fine. The gas mileage on that thing was nice. I remember us scraping together a few bucks and then driving all over the place on that.:)

• Members

My dad put 250,000 miles on a mid-90's Subaru Legacy before my youngest brother totalled it last year.

He never had to do any repairs on it except regular maintenance.

I'm not sure what the going rate on those would be, but look into them.

Also, look at the Outback if you need more trunk space...

• Members

thats easy. you want a sleeper car that screams? Back in my destructive phase, my parents put me in a 1995 ford contour le v6 dohc 24v. We bought it for like 3 g's. It was a 5 speed manual. And it {censored}in hauled ass. Never woulda thought it either. the normal countours came in 4 cylinders, and they introduced the 6 for a little while. Anyways, long story short. it was pretty reliable, filled the tank for about 14 bucks (back in the day) and the full tank would last 2 weeks. Did i mention that the mother{censored}er was fast? In highschool at lunch time, i beat a dodge charger in it too. And half the senior class at my highschool saw it. Their TOTAL grandma lookin sleepers. Cops would never think anything of it. And on the highway id was able to cruise at about 95-100 allll day long. check one out!

• Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

Honda and Toyota are reliable makes from the list you have. You might want to check out some Mazda makes as well.

I agree with this. Mazdas are cheap and they just keep on going. Look for a Protege.

• Members

Originally posted by ohjimmy

Geo prizm

its a Toyota Corolla in disguise(not really a good disguise but it has a different badge on the trunk anyways)

+1

I dumped my SHO that was costing me money out the ass and bought one of these. I paid $1300 and it has only 76K on it. Mine has the 5 spd. manual and you would be surprised how peppy it is for only having 105 hp.

It really is pretty much identical to the corolla inside and out but they go for much cheaper due to the Geo badge. They were produced in the same plant and have all the same parts.

Tyler

Archived