So I suck at Guitar Rig 2 - Can anyone help?

martindcx1e

• Members

So I've been messing around with Guitar Rig 2 for the last few days, and I'm having a really hard time dialing in a good distortion for modern rock (think STP/Soundgarden). There's so much crap it's overwhelming at first and all the cab/mic options - AAAAHHHHH! If any of you have GR2 skills I'd greatly appreciate some help.

• Members

That's my problem with it, too versatile. Too much to play with. I like NI Guitar Combos better, the tone is a little purer, IMO, great for clean, semi-dirty, mid-gain stuff. I prefer Amplitube for pure clean and super gained out stuff.

• Members

Just play around with it long enough, with different mic positions and cabs, and you'll find out what works and what doesnt. And keep the "air" knob at 0, that one never works well. For hi-gain modern rock kind of stuff, I usually use the 4x12 Mesa cab with either a 57 or the u87 off-axis, and the 60s marshall tall cab works well too; then I tweak from there to get the kind of frequency response I like. As far as amps go, I like boosting the vintage channel of the Mesa model with the tube screamer. Make sure the 'high res' button is on or it'll sound like dog{censored} whatever you use.

• Members

It is really, really, really crucial to make sure you're not adding distortion at the input or output through excessive level. The only thing that should add distortion is the modules themselves. Make sure there's no input overload, and that your preset levels are trimmed to avoid output distortion.

Gain-staging is super-critical with Guitar Rig; digital distortion adds "bastard" harmonics that undo the cool distortion of the amp modules.

Also, if your CPU can handle it, go to the hi-res mode which effectively doubles the INTERNAL sample rate (in other words, your host or sound card don't have to do a higher sample rate). It doubles the hit on your CPU but the distortion sounds are much, much better and more realistic. It's the one time where I think sample rate really matters.

GR2 is really cool once you get a few basic things down.

• Members

Try using the Cat distortion in front of the Mesa clean channel with the gain below 5. The sub settings can give your sound different character- I use - 50Hz/87 vac/6.35 sag/12 o'clock on bias and response. If you use multiple speakers try at least one with off-axis mic placement. Of course noise suppression, reverb and delay can help. I love this program-I use it exclusively at home to jam with-sold my El-Diablo 60c. Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by Keithrt99

i don't really like guitar rig for guitars. i like it for bass though.

+1 i found the guitar stuff was pretty horrible. anything to do with "modern higain" was pretty bad. bass was good and the cleans were ok.

Archived