Retube the Diezel or have my BC Rich set up professionally?

AgentOrange

• Members

I realise there is going to be a certain bias on this forum, but hear me out. The diezel definately needs new tubes, no question about it, ive been at univeristy and unable to get the money to spend on it. Its not sounding so great and im sure that a new set of power tubes would do it a world of good. However, today i picked up my USA BC Rich for the first time in a while. It stays at my parents house becuase i was too worried about it getting stolen at univeristy, not least becuase of flatmates who leave the front door open a lot. Its never been quite right since i bought it, but now it really needs some TLC, its playing like {censored} and doesnt sound very good either.

Both are pissing me off becuase i know what they should be like and neither are reaching their potential, but the only disposable money i have coming up is for my 21st so it is a case of one or the other. I know the retube seems the obvious choice, but i hate seeing such a beautiful guitar play like an absolute dog. I dont know when ill next have money of my own to spend, but both really need the attention so i dont know what to do becuase both piss me off

Gimme some advice

James

• Members

I'd vote to buy some strings and attempt to set up the BC Rich yourself... set-ups aren't that difficult, especially if you get some info from a reliable book or website on what to do.

If that works well... be proud and re-tube that beast of yours and enjoy the best of both worlds.

-TJK

• Members
Originally posted by TaronKeim
I'd vote to buy some strings and attempt to set up the BC Rich yourself... set-ups aren't that difficult, especially if you get some info from a reliable book or website on what to do.

If that works well... be proud and re-tube that beast of yours and enjoy the best of both worlds.

-TJK
Im not bad at setting up guitars on my own, but this needs the touch of a professional. Were talking fret dressing, stoning and crowning, which i dont have the tools for. I had a similar problem with my Jackson a while ago, it wasnt playing the way i wanted, id try setting it up a ton of different ways but it still wasnt right. I sent it to this dude whos been a pro tech for 20 years, he used to be a forensic scientist and is the most meticulous man on earth. He turned a so-so jackson into a guitar that im inseperable from, something i couldnt do on my own. If he could do that for me BC Rich then id be a happy man

James

• Members
Originally posted by magh8
I agree setups are not that difficult..have the amp re-tubed
but its not just a matter of setting the action and intonation, i cant level the frets and dress them myself, i dont have the tools or the skills to do it

James

• Members
Originally posted by AgentOrange

Im not bad at setting up guitars on my own, but this needs the touch of a professional. Were talking fret dressing, stoning and crowning, which i dont have the tools for. I had a similar problem with my Jackson a while ago, it wasnt playing the way i wanted, id try setting it up a ton of different ways but it still wasnt right. I sent it to this dude whos been a pro tech for 20 years, he used to be a forensic scientist and is the most meticulous man on earth. He turned a so-so jackson into a guitar that im inseperable from, something i couldnt do on my own. If he could do that for me BC Rich then id be a happy man

James
Ahh in that case, yeah, I hear you.

Flip a coin. biggrin.gif

I draw the line at touching my own frets, myself. I'd {censored} something up for sure...

• Members

James
Gotcha... I'd say retube the amp, save cash, and get the guitar done later.

You already have a guitar you love... and the sound of those tubes are just going to get worse, and I don't know anything less inspiring than hitting a power chord and having the decay fizzle out on you because of bad tubes.

-TJK

• Members

but its not just a matter of setting the action and intonation, i cant level the frets and dress them myself, i dont have the tools or the skills to do it

James
well in that case your {censored}ed.if you have other guitars I would do the amp unless the amp is still working properly and you just feel its time for new tubes so you can always put it off for a later time

• Members
Originally posted by Red&Die
The Answer is retube your Diezel & sell me your Warlock!!!biggrin.gif
You make it seem so easy! Believe me, ive come so close to selling it a few times, but other than the fact it has sentimental value to me and I REALLY want to like it, i dont think i could sell it in the state its in. It looks pretty, but just doesnt play right and i wouldnt want to pass that onto someone else.

Unless of course someone has a Blackmachine B7 they want to trade for it? Becuase thats the only guitar id get rid of it for

James

• 6 years later...
  • Members

I'd say retube the Diezel as well. It would have a more profund effect on bettering your tone. And since you already have a guitar you love in the Jackson, the BC can wait.

Plus, not saying they will, if a tube somehow goes bad you could be looking at having to replace a lot more than tubes in the amp and won't have money for a setup or tubes.

Just my .02

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf

View Post

I hope hes been able to retube the amp AND get the BC Rich setup by now haha. Actually, this is HCAF....he probably doesnt even own either of those pieces of gear anymore.

LOL. This is HCAF, it was most likely a Bugera and a.... errr... BC Rich.

Archived