Gibson Gothic II Les Paul ?????

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

Has anyone actually seen or played one of these in person yet? I guess they are a MF "exclusive" so I can`t find any info outside of the MF description and pics. It`s not listed on the Gibson website, unless I just missed it.

* Is it basically just a LP Studio with "Gothic" black finish and EMG`s?

* Normal dimensions/thickness and construction methods?

* Does it include a HSC or gigbag? MF lists it with a gigbag, but their pics show it with a Gibson LP HSC.

* The big question. Does it have a rosewood fretboard like MF says or an ebony board like the pics look?

* It the damn thing worth $1,300 when I can get an Edwards LP Custom with EMG`s for less than $1,000?

Questions, questions, questions.......

Eric

P.S.- Sorry, here`s a link for the MF listing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-LP-Studio-Gothic-II-Electric-Guitar-with-EMG-Pickups?sku=518931

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

they're putting out another Gothic Explorer too, only it has an ebony board.
:thu:

where did you read that ?

will it be the same specs ?

I don'T understand why they never put inlays on there..

you don't see many ebony boards on Gibsons so they want to show them off by not cutting anything out or what ? :wave:

• Members

I would not consider buying one if it has a rosewood fretboard. The pics most definitaly look like ebony though. I wonder if it`s just a mistake in the MF description.

Still looks like the Edwards LP Custom with EMG`s looks like a better deal. Especially the lack of attention that Gibson has been giving in the QC dept. for it`s lower priced models.

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by sekler

where did you read that ?

will it be the same specs ?

I don'T understand why they never put inlays on there..

you don't see many ebony boards on Gibsons so they want to show them off by not cutting anything out or what ?
:wave:

MJ (4nkam) posted it the other day. It's already out in Europe or something, he posted a link to some place that had one for sale. I guess Gibson is debuting it here at Summer NAMM. It's all mahogany, EMG's, ebony board, no inlays, etc.

• Members

Why would they put a rosewood fingerboard on an all-black guitar????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Members

Originally posted by Ben J

Why would they put a rosewood fingerboard on an all-black guitar????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What's the deal with everyone hating rosewood fretboards?

Yes ebony looks better but the feel and tone of rosewood is pretty awesome IMO. I like ebony also but a rosewood fretboard wouldn't stop me from buying a guitar if I really liked all of the other specs.

• Members

Originally posted by jlb32

Yes ebony looks better but the feel and tone of rosewood is pretty awesome IMO. I like ebony also but a rosewood fretboard wouldn't stop me from buying a guitar if I really liked all of the other specs.

I personally hate rosewood. It looks very cheap, and doesn't feel nearly as nice as ebony or maple. It just looks very cheap to me.

• Members

Originally posted by jlb32

Ebony is THE fingerboard wood. Why do you think they've been putting it on string instruments for hundreds of years? Not that rosewood is bad, I just prefer ebony MUCH more, especially if the entire guitar is black.

• Members

Originally posted by Ben J

Ebony is THE fingerboard wood. Why do you think they've been putting it on string instruments for hundreds of years? Not that rosewood is bad, I just prefer ebony MUCH more, especially if the entire guitar is black.

+1

Ebony is the {censored}. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

$1400 is a little steep

$1400 is steep but it seems like all guitar companies are getting outrageous with their prices in the last few years. Look at ESP. Their prices jumped about 30% this year over last.

I'm getting to the point were I'll be buying alot of my guitars used. Buying new is getting ridiculous.

• Members

Originally posted by KLeeneX

When I finish my LTD explorer project you can buy it. It will put a sperm count in your socks.
:thu:

Actually, I've been meaning to talk to you about the Randall head.

I'll give you a call.

• Members

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot

Again, what else is new?

i just can't believe they've not priced themselves out of business yet

for a little more you could get this (which is much nicer than most gibsons i've played)

http://www.music123.com/ESP-Eclipse-II-Standard-Electric-Guitar-i146279.music

or this for considerably less (which is easily as good as most lp's)

http://www.music123.com/ESP-EC1000-Electric-Guitar-i16977.music

gibson's qc has just gotten so whacky, i can't believe they still charge what they do for some guitars...given i've played some really good ones, but i've played a lot more that were subpar to say the least

for the price of that lp, you could even have a decent custom built axe

Archived