info on Tony Iommi's early tone

anibas

• Members

In the latest issue(october 2006) of Guitar World on page 50,there's a nice half page article about the gear used for the first 2 Sabbath records( and the next 2 or 3 as well).There's also a picture of Iommi standing in front of his live setup.BTW,the amps are 100 watt Laney Supergroup's, and the guitar is an early 60's SG Special with stock P90's.Those "Beat Club" videos from 1970 where he's seen using Orange amps are not accurate,because those were amps that the studio kept & used for visiting artists.Hope this helps all you Sabbath freaks!

• Members

Yes Laney card holder here as well.

I know their is a lot of footage available of them using different amps at studio gigs in paticular. I personally have vids with The oldLaneys,Selmers,Orange,Hiwatt,Marshalls,

Vox. It seems when doing vids they had No problems using on hand stage amps. Which actually makes them even more Versatile IMO. How would you fair playing live on different rigs. I know Id be F'd up.

Iommi > insert name!

• Members

He started using John Birch soapbar sized replacement pickups in that red SG sometime in the mid 70's-not sure which album,but I'm guessing "Sabbath,Bloody Sabbath" or " Sabotage".I think he used a stock RangeMaster for the 1st disc,and a modded one from the 2nd album onwards,which they mention in this article.BTW,I'm a Laney user myself!

• Members

Early Iommi sound:Any Brit tube head(50-100-120 watts)set medium gain(fairly loud)into Any brit 4x12 cabs(at least two,altho six was his standard)Hornby Skewes or Dallas Rangemaster treble booster(BLM currently offers a modded "exact" replica)and of course an all mahogony SG standard with the hotter P-100 version of the P-90.Occasionally a Custom SG or Les Paul/SG with standard Humbuckers was utilized.

• Members

Why does everybody always mention the Laneys and Ive never seen one person on here knowledgeable enough about Sabbath to know he also used Boogies back in the day. Ive seen him talk about using Boogie many times in interviews, heres an excerpt from a 1994 Guitar World issue.

Tony Iommi:

"Tony: For this record I used the JD, which I've used for years. It's basically a Gibson shape but it isn't a Gibson. Everybody THOUGHT it was a Gibson. I have got an old red Gibson that I started off with. Gibson did, in fact, build me a guitar a couple of years ago. It is really nice. I approached them to make me a guitar-a production model- and they were interested but we never could seem to get together. So this company in Birmingham approached me to do it and so we've done it with them. Now I've got an Eggle guitar. It's a different sort of design. I've been in the factory working to get the shape and feel right. It will be called the Iommi Legend. I wanted them to do an SG originally. We came up with more of a contoured and bigger body so it's similar to a Paul Reed Smith, I suppose. I've got my own JD pickups, which are going to be put on the production model as well. The production model will be exactly the same as the one I'm using on stage. Right-handed will be no extra charge laughs. We've been working on it for a while and I'll be using that one on tour as well with me new Laney amps. I got together with them to design a new amp. Up till then I'd been using Marshalls and Boogies. I think I've picked the best of the stuff that worked on those and put it into the Laney amplifier. For effects I use a short delay, a wah and a chorus. The ones I have now are built into a big board. I use the rack-mounted delay. I've got some DigiTech stuff.

There.

Archived