My Peavey XXX head seems to quiet..Help!

MegaMustaine

• Members

Hmm, this is frustrating.

Believe me, its not like I'm a total n00b who doesn't know what good tone is, and has his mids to 0, because I'm not.

But the tone I am looking for and achieve has somewhat low mids.

This is frustrating, because I really love this amp, I just don't know if its loud enough. And, I can't think of any other amps in my price range that don't have an active EQ.....

Maybe I can get an EQ pedal or rack unit, and really scoop on the EQ rack unit, and boost the mids more on my XXX.

• Members

Originally posted by MegaMustaine

Believe me, its not like I'm a total n00b who doesn't know what good tone is, and has his mids to 0, because I'm not.

This is frustrating, because I really love this amp, I just don't know if its loud enough. And, I can't think of any other amps in my price range that don't have an active EQ.....

Maybe I can get an EQ pedal or rack unit, and really scoop on the EQ rack unit, and boost the mids more on my XXX.

I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you're going through because it sounds exactly like what I was going through in the beginning of the year.

A practical solution would be to find a way to get the speakers closer to your ears. Addition of another 4x12 cabinet or even a 1x12/2x12 wedge in front of you.

If you're still having volume issues, you may think about driving a second cabinet with a cheap ss power amp. I know it sounds lame, but there are some decent ss power amps out there that can help reinforce a weak amp. The Peavey M-2600 is a good amp for that. It's not brittle in the least bit and it really packs a punch for only being 130 watts per side.

If all else fails, just get a new amp. I fought for 9 months trying to get a good sound and adequate volume out of my XXX, but could never acheive it. A guy with a 50 watt marshall and a Carvin 412 was louder than my XXX with a Mesa 412.

Just some ideas...

• Members

The dampening switch on the back also seems to cut some volume if you have it in the "tight" position. Try it on "loose" and see if you like it.

The other guitar player in my band uses a Triple XXX and he has the same problem as you, even with a lot of mids dialed in. There comes a point with the Triple XXX when too much mids gives it a very honky or boxy type tone...IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by RoCk4souls

The dampening switch on the back also seems to cut some volume if you have it in the "tight" position. Try it on "loose" and see if you like it.

The other guitar player in my band uses a Triple XXX and he has the same problem as you, even with a lot of mids dialed in. There comes a point with the Triple XXX when too much mids gives it a very honky or boxy type tone...IMO.

I forgot about that as well. The XXX is a tricky amp to get the best out of and even then it's not for everyone. I really liked mine and I know a lot of guys that do but there are just as many that hate them.

• Members

Originally posted by MegaMustaine

Yes, just do what I do, crank your mids on the amp's channel and either scoop some of the low or high mids with a EQ in the loop. Depending on what you're looking for in a sound, you can get very low-middy sounding(Rectoish) or high middy sounding(modded Marshall sounding) with the amp. I set my Ultra and Crunch channels respectively in this manner using my RP2000 for my EQ and other stuff.

As been stated before, make sure your mids are halfway if you want the amp to cut, crank your master up and set your channel volumes to taste, check your power tubes and have the amp checked out overall for any issues as Jerry P described. Another thing that comes to mind is that the Triple XXX 2x12 cab is pretty directional I imagine. Get it up off the floor and pointed at you would most likely do a world of good, just watch out if it "beams" like crazy.(get directly in front of the cones and most likely you'll get nailed with mostly highs, all speakers are pretty much like this)

Anywhooo, hope this helps. :thu::cool:

• Members

Active eq's are tricky. Try raising your mids a bit at a time but also cut your highs to comphensate. Im running bass 6 -mid 7- high-3 to 4 on a Peavey Ultra and volume and band mix isnt an issue for the Rock/Metal {censored} we play. an eq in the loop can shape your tone a lot as well.

Archived