Practice Amp Recommendations

FallofEmpyrean

• Members

I am mainly going to be using it for distorted stuff (metal, mainly), although I have a few pedals I can use, so it doesn't necessarily need to be able to create distortion. I am really only going to use it for demo recording and quieter practice playing, and I would prefer it to be under $200.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Thanks!

• Members
Originally posted by FallofEmpyrean

I am mainly going to be using it for distorted stuff (metal, mainly), although I have a few pedals I can use, so it doesn't necessarily need to be able to create distortion. I am really only going to use it for demo recording and quieter practice playing, and I would prefer it to be under $200.

How about a used PODxt with the metal pack? You might find one for that price.

• Members

just get anything cheap.
Practice amps dont have to be luxury amps.
Modellers are the optimum choice i think.

90% of my practicing is now on my zoom palmtop studio. Its about $200 i think. (i bought it for $100ish during a blowout).
My KMD rig is sitting in my bud's garage. I dont even miss it.

• Members

Originally posted by FallofEmpyrean

If you're pedals consist of any boost pedal, a heavy distortion pedal and a noise suppressor of some type...then any amp will do the job because you'll be getting most of your sound from your pedals.

I run my guitar into a Boss NS-2 with a dimed Ibanez TS-9 in the loop into a Boss MT-2 into an Epiphone Valve Junior powering a Krank 412.

It's the best for practice and recording.

• Members

If you use pedals, almost anything will work really. Just get something with a clean channel.

Check the Microcube stuff from Roland and Vox has some cool offerings. Even check out Behringer, for home they are great.

Line 6 has some nice stuff as well. You can easily stay under the $200 range.

I would probably go with a modeller, more tone and features for the money. Plus you often get direct recording options and such as well.

Personally I use a Behringer V-Ampire 1x12 and it works great. It is like $250 but has a ton of options and is even giggable.

I have played with the Roland stuff and it is nice. I am dying to try out the Vox one though. It looks pretty cool.

Archived