15 watt class A amps: hype or

separanets

• Members

though...

Most amps have a "sweet spot" where they sound their best; where the circuit is swinging enough volts, the in-line resistances are not too high (volume controls), the output transformer core is approaching saturation, the speaker is pushing enough air and so on.

This especially true of vintage-type amps where the saturation/distortion is an accumulation of effects from the second gainstage, PI, power amp, transformer, speaker, etc.

In a more modern, metal-y amp (with extra gainstages), the power amp is often set to a clean tone to accurately reproduce the sound of well-tuned, preamp distortion. So, they sound more consistent over a range of volumes.

• Members

The amps you are refereing to are generally voiced for a more "vintagy" tone, and tend not to be high gain. Many of them are also single channel.

Unless they are single ended and using a single EL34 or 6l6, you will be using a pair of 6v6 ot EL84 tubes. There is a definite difference in the sound compared to the larger tubes, and for a lot of people its a love/hate thing.

I love em! EL84's make everything sound pretty. They do get aggressive when cranked, but they don't get that "metal" kind of sound. Especially paired with a single gain stage preamp.

But yes, when you turn them up loud, they sound AWESOME. And they record real nice too.

• Members

Bad marketing is selling 100-watt half-stacks because it's "louder, man!" to players that will never turn them up past 3.

Amps are tools. You need the right tool for the job. The output power of an amp should match the application. The output rating is about volume. You have too much output power if you can't turn up enough to get the benefit of some saturation of the power tubes. You paid for some nice glass that you are not using. If you are constantly fighting with the rest of the band and the soundman about being too loud to get "your sound"("but I'm only on 2!"), you probably have too much output power.

There are times/places where a 15-watt/1-12" is the right tool and other times when the 100-watt half-stack is.

Cheers!

Scredly

• Members

Originally posted by JohnRageOn

The wattage of the speaker must not surpass the amp's output wattage too much.

this is not true at all.

simply plug a z-vex nano head into various speaker cabs if you want to see for yourself.

• Members

Originally posted by scredly

. There's way more to it than this but some simple math: Usually have master volume on 2 of 100-watt amp when playing out - master goes up to 10 - only using 1/5th of 100-watt amp = 20 watts.

Usually volume controls are logarithmic potentiometers, so when you're at 2 on the dial it's not really 20% of the max output.

• Members
Originally posted by potaetoes

this is not true at all.

simply plug a z-vex nano head into various speaker cabs if you want to see for yourself.

Ok we'll meet at my house you'll plug the z-vex and I'll plug VH4 on the same cab and we'll see :D :D :D

To tell you the truth I've heard a lot of good things about z-vex! It's a a shame we don't have an importer in Greece!

• Members
Originally posted by emodot

That's a completely unfair comparison. If you were to rig up a Nano with a 50w or 100w poweramp and compare it to the original through the same cab, that would be much more appropriate.

That's my point that 15 watters sound like 15 watters. I only told that they require cabs with low wattage speakers in order the speaker to be tight and not loose!

Originally posted by DoubleBarrel

Try a Budda 18 watter.

Great tone & it's loud as hell for only 18 watts. Plus, there's less tubes to replace come retubing time
:thu:

I agree Buddas are gr8 amps :thu:

Archived