Cobra Regrets

gooman

• Members

So many folks seem to move on from this amp, I have been waiting for buyers remorse on this monster and its just not happening.

I get such a thick sounding, defined tone - I am really digging it. I loved my 5150II, but I dont miss it at all.

Is it that weird frequency thing that eventually repels people?

• Members

Originally posted by ragnvald

If I ever get tired of the Cobra's tone, or it doesn't work in a given setting, I found I get much versatility by putting a MXR 10 band in the loop.

I didnt think that worked? I tried a Ge7 in the loop and nothing...Did you have to mod the loop?

• Members

Originally posted by gooman

I didnt think that worked? I tried a Ge7 in the loop and nothing...Did you have to mod the loop?

Well, actually I did:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1310664

And it might have had an effect, not being able to use the FX-mix boost, but I would think it was essential usable without.

The MXR 10 band has a rail voltage of 18V versus regular pedals, and it was designed for in-front or loop usage, so that is an issue.

• Members

every part of the signal chain makes such a huge difference with a cobra IMO

with my old 5150, it would sound just about equally good with any decent cab...with the cobra the cab can really make or break the sound

also i notice a huge difference when i plug different guitars into this amp, even my drummer can tell when i switch guitars...even if the two have the same bridge pickup

the cold factory bias doesn't help either

in all honestly, i think it's a pretty hard amp to really like...but somehow i get along great with it :thu:

• Members

Ive loved my Cobra ever since I got it. It did have a top end fizz I wasnt sure about - I recently but 8th gen chinese 12ax7's and Ruby bstr's in it - fizz is completely gone - the amp sounds even better than it did before. I absolutely love this amp, I cant see myself ever selling it. If I ever get another high gain amp it will only be to complement the Cobra, not to replace it!!

• Members

Originally posted by killswitch_19

Man I loved my Cobra. If I could have afforded to keep it I would still have it.

+1. That, and if I still played metal, but I'm pretty much on the other end of the musical spectrum nowadays.

It was a killer metal amp, though. I played it through a Vader 2x12, and it was brutal.

• Members

I gigged my Cobra for the first time last night and I was totally underwhelmed. My other guitarist crushed it, with MY XXX he was borrowing! I had some issues with the footswitch as well.

I'll try it with a different cab, but it may be supplanted live by my Powerball or Uber.

• Members

i miss mine
but its the kinda thing, where, if you ever needed money, it was just looking at you like...."remember when you had $2000 just lying around" and i'd be all like "{censored} you" and she'd be all like "im just sayin is all" and i'd be like "bitch, {censored} off! I dont wanna hear it"..........but it wouldn't shut the {censored} up, so i curbed it
but we had some good times :cry:, i still think about her once in a while

• Members

Originally posted by Doctor

Hey Gooman,

I'm glad that you are still really likeing the Cobra. I thought the amp was awesome. May you continue to unleash the metal fury.

Hehe, yeah I took Jthompso's advice and put some 9th gen preamp tubes and some ruby power tubes, and it is just awesome paired up with the Cobra Cab - thanks so much for the great amp!

Strange that a xxx would overwhelm the Cobra, I had trouble just cutting through the mix with my old xxx...

Archived