Korg options, X50

uOpt

• Members

I'm in the market for a Korg Synth. Mainly for synthetic sounds (hard rock/metal keyboards) and as a 61 key controller for home. I mainly play guitar, it's not for anything too important.

I originally wanted to go for the M3, but truth be told I won't use much of the arranger/sequencer section. And I'd like the sampler section but at the price range I could as well do a standalone sampler.

So I'm thinking about a X50. It sounds nice enough, although it is kind of fluffy. Does anybody have longer term experience with it? If it does the synth section of the M3 well that would be good for me. If it's too wimpy it won't.

What's your take on it?

• Members

So I'm thinking about a X50. It sounds nice enough, although it is kind of fluffy. Does anybody have longer term experience with it? If it does the synth section of the M3 well that would be good for me.

First off, thanks for considering our instruments.

The X50 has the synthesis engine of the Triton family, albeit with newer sample content. It does have a very wide selection of sounds.

We also have a brand-new member of the family called the PS60, which you may want to consider. It IS based on the M3's synthesis engine, and is designed with live performance in mind:

http://www.korg.com/ps60

It's focused on acoustic/electric pianos, organs, strings, brass, and synth sounds, and the controls you're most likely to use during a gig (EQ, splits/layers, effects, etc) are right on the front panel.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have about either one.

Thanks,

-Rich

• Members

PS60 might not be suitable because of only 20 combis... rock/metal keyboardists usually use a whole lot more, sometimes even 20 combis per song (I know I am ;))

Otherwise a fine beginner's board, but for this exact situation, I'd stem for M50 if/when budget allows.

• Members

First off, thanks for considering our instruments.

The X50 has the synthesis engine of the Triton family, albeit with newer sample content. It does have a very wide selection of sounds.

We also have a brand-new member of the family called the PS60, which you may want to consider. It IS based on the M3's synthesis engine, and is designed with live performance in mind:

http://www.korg.com/ps60

It's focused on acoustic/electric pianos, organs, strings, brass, and synth sounds, and the controls you're most likely to use during a gig (EQ, splits/layers, effects, etc) are right on the front panel.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have about either one.

Thanks,

-Rich

Hmmmm... this may be a great top board to compliment my Triton (instead of getting an M50). I see some immediate 'pros' and some immediate 'cons'.

First... kudos for putting some performance controls on surface of the board. Korg has done that since the N5 I believe and it's been a real pain digging through menus and having to programming and save edits on the fly for transposing, octave changes.. etc.

It's light... and looks pretty easy to navigate. Again, a decent second sound source to compliment a setup.

The cons...

-it looks extremely plasticky in the photos... like a Micro-X in a 61 key shell. That's not very road worthy. :(

-External power supply... strike two.

-49MB Rom and 20 combi's??? Stingy isn't the word.

I'm not prejuding this before actually seeing this but on a quick glance maybe this isn't designed for stage performance?

• Members

I bought a used X50 and had it for a couple of months. For a budget synth, I was impressed with the sonic possibilities. But I just could never get used to the keyboard action of the X50. I ended up selling it and picking up a used TR61 for the same price at which I bought/sold the X50 (I love free upgrades!). I like the keybed action better on the TR, and it also has aftertouch and a built-in sequencer.

I only wish the TR had a software editor like the X50 editor... Rich, any chance of Korg making one available? It would seem trivial for Korg to modify the X50 editor to work with the TR, since as far as I can tell they are identical from a sound processing standpoint.

• Members

Why would I pick the M50 over the M3? Used the difference in price isn't that big.

I'd be surprised if the price difference were not several hundred dollars. And since you mentioned you were looking into the X50, I would think price would be a major factor in your choice of keyboard/synths.

• Members

Well, I don't like to spend more money than required, but I also don't buy itti bitti stuff that doesn't get the job done, hence my question about the X50. I rather sell a guitar I don't use and get something real.

I'll have a look at the actual price differences. Maybe I stored the M3 as lower than it is.

• Members

Well you said you wouldn't be using sampling, so there you go. Why bother with features you wouldn't use? M50 doesn't have sampling, but still has newer soundset that X50 doesn't have.

ED... since I assume that you've owned a Triton and now own an M50... what are the real upgrades to the m3/M50 soundset? I've played an m50 88 at a local music store and other than pianos I really didn't hear that much of a difference in the programs offered. The strengths of the Extreme to me are (by category) organs, leads, fast, motion, soft (pads), strings and some world & orchestral. The weak categories are piano/keyboard (I although some of the clavs and EP's are nice), brass, guitar (I would never use anyway), drums kits. Just curious what the upgrades that make having an M50 on stage worth it vs the Tritons?

• Members

I would say additionally strings have gotten better in M3/M50, all the strengths of Extreme are still there, some even improved (organs, world). EPs are thicker than they were.

Not to mention the possibility of having 16-slot combis - way more intricate setups can be created.

BTW, I don't own M50 nor did I have a Triton, but I played with them extensively on numerous occasions. I know how those keyboards breathe ;)

• Members

Looks like for the 61 key version the M50 is $700-850 and the M3 is $1500, and the M3 is more common in the more expensive 73 key format. Well, I remembered it was less different.

• Members

Best compromise is to get M50 for it's sheer sonic capabilities and enough memories to create your combi's, plus complete effect section of M3. Concerning X50, of which I was an owner; if you will use it in combi's, know that there are only 2 effect applicable to the whole set of combi's, which means that many of your polished single sounds (programs) will loose it's edge/characteristics in combi's. Else than that, it's fine if you use it in program mode.

Archived