Mixed 4x12: G12H30s bottom, V30s top?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

4x12 cab with two G12H30s on the bottom and two V30s on top.

I was wondering if any of you have or have played a cab with this set up?

From what I've read it's supposed to sound great... covering the full spectrum pretty much -- with the G12H30s having rich low-mids and bass response, and the V30s midrange and highs.

I am thinking about getting this configuration made for me in an Avatar cab and was just wondering if anyone here has tried it out before... Thanks...

• Members

Have heard this sounds good also,but haven't tried it.

I have though a quad with 2 H-30's in the bottom and Greenbacks in the top - sounds great.

The wattage being lower(25w) matches with the lower wattage of the H-30-s(30watt).

The V-30's are 70w I think,so that might lull one into a false sense of security with wattage cover in the cab-H-30's and GB's die quick if you flog them.

However you connect them,the pair of H-30-s will only be rated at 60watts clean,so beware.

For example,I had a pair of H-30's in a 2x12 at one point.Cranking my 50w Laney into them caused them to pole at low Hz-in otherwords it overheated them.

I had the quad I was talking about apart a while back to change grill cloth.

I run a Dragon into it with a HP set at a maximum of -4db attenuation to protect the cab-but when I open the cab,the stickers are staring to peel off the back of the H-30's from heat-too much wattage from the amp.

Have double the cab you need for the amp rating is best rule of thumb.

Chris......

• Members

Originally posted by JoshuaLogan

4x12 cab with two G12H30s on the bottom and two V30s on top.

I was wondering if any of you have or have played a cab with this set up?

From what I've read it's supposed to sound great... covering the full spectrum pretty much -- with the G12H30s having rich low-mids and bass response, and the V30s midrange and highs.

I am thinking about getting this configuration made for me in an Avatar cab and was just wondering if anyone here has tried it out before... Thanks...

I have a few 4x12 cabs one with the configuration you have of pure Celestions and then another with the V30's on top and Eminence Swamp Thangs below. This combination has mucho juevos and I use with my Sovteks and Ampeg V-4 to truly epic proportions. :wave: Oh . . . the cab like yours is an Avatar cab, the other is a vintage Ampeg cab.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Prehistoricpain

to my ears v30s are much bassier then g12h30's, and the v30's will be louder, so, would you put the g12h30's on the top and the v30's in the bottom?

That said, anybody want to trade two v30's from my orange cab, for two g12h30's?

Actually, I think the GH12-30 is spec'd to 5 Hz lower than the Vin30. I run mine in a X pattern.

Archived