MOTU MIDI questions...

• Members

Hey all...

Looking at massively streamlining my setup, and that means dedicated multi-channel audio and MIDI interfaces.

products_motu_express128_s.jpg

products_motu_microlite_s.jpg

Looking at MOTU MIDI Express 128 (8x8 in 1u space) http://www.motu.com/products/midi/128/

and MicroLite (5x5 1/2u space) http://www.motu.com/products/midi/lite/

I've been emailing back and forth w/MOTU support, and they said even though these units aren't designed to "patch" or "merge", a program called "Plogue Bidule" http://www.plogue.com/?page_id=56

allows you to patch and merge via software using their units.

My question is this; does anyone know if Plogue Bidule will allow you to use a pair of MicroLite's as a single 10x10 interface, or will they forever be considered separate channels?

IE, if I want to route CH1 of MicroLite #1 to CH5 of MicroLite #2 (CH10?), can I easily do that, or since they're different units, will the gear connected to them be incapable of communicating?

MOTU's website says this: "Expansion - MOTU MIDI interfaces grow with you. Expansion is simple. Add additional MIDI ports by plugging in another MOTU MIDI interface.".

Sounds like the software would simply see them as (CH1-5 and CH-6-10), but it may be wishful thinking.

I'm on Win7 64bit using PreSonus StudioOne Pro 64.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

~M

• Members

I waited for months for one of those edirols to pop up somewhere! Anywhere! No luck. :( I ended up finding a good deal on the MOTU micro express which, I believe, can do the things you're asking. I know retail wise, it is pretty expensive, but i one really, really cheap on ebay over the holidays. If theres a 'downside' it would be the fact it only has 4 midi ins. :( I have it plugged into a powered USB hub, so it is always ready to go whether the computer is on or not. :)

• Members

You spoke to MOTU and they didn't suggest the MIDI Express XT or the MIDI Timepiece? I think both of those do patching and merging.

Neither are available.

The company making one of the internal parts (chips?) has gone under.

Looks like both the Express 128 and MicroLite work with Win7 64 and will do patch/merge functions via StudioOne Pro.

Looking at a pair of MicroLites now. 1u, 10x10.

• Members

I'm using a Microlite and have been thinking of getting another for a 10X10 midi port setup, and I've been wondering the same thing - how would the ports show in Sonar? Don't know if 2 Microlites would show - 5 ports X 2 or 10 individual ports......?

I use MidiOx (freeware) to connect my various midi connections in a "stand-alone" setup (when not using Sonar) and it works great to connect the various ins/outs. I don't know what I would do without it when not using Sonar. It's a very cool appl. - not sure if it works under W7 64bit, though there is a new beta version that is probably compatible.

www.midiox.com

• Members

I don't know how complicated this is, I just need the ability to control rack gear (synths and effects) real-time via MIDI. According to Sweetwater and MOTU, they work with my OS (Win7 64) and my DAW (StudioOne Pro) will provide patching and whatnot, and the units should show up as "unit A 1-5" "unit B 1-5".

Thanks guys!

• Members

I don't know how complicated this is, I just need the ability to control rack gear (synths and effects) real-time via MIDI. According to Sweetwater and MOTU, they work with my OS (Win7 64) and my DAW (StudioOne Pro) will provide patching and whatnot, and the units
should
show up as "unit A 1-5" "unit B 1-5".

Thanks guys!

Oh, yeah, they should work fine for that. For instance, DP shows my micro lite inputs and outputs 1-5, as well as the in and out on my Ultralite. The computer's MIDI system does all the patching. Now, if you wanted to do patching without a computer, you'd need one of those that has it onboard.

Archived