Do old JBL bass speakers sound good for guitar?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members
Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

a lot of vintage fender cabs had JBL's right?

can anyone tell me if these are even older JBL's or are they newer? I'm not positive JBL still makes instrument speakers, so I always assume they are older...

It'll sound bad for guitar. The 145 had a heavy cone. It won't have good,quick transient response like the old D130 15".

• Members
Originally posted by TheBurninator

I didn't say they were 145s... I just said they're stock speaker... whatever those were in 68.

Well,you also didn't say what cab it is. So how do we decipher anything out of the idea that you have a '68 cab that evidently has some model of JBL's in it and it sounds good. How does one relate that to the actual question?

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Well,you also didn't say what cab it is. So how do we decipher anything out of the idea that you have a '68 cab that evidently has some model of JBL's in it and it sounds good. How does one relate that to the actual question?

Did fender make a large variety of 68 2x15s?

:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by TheBurninator

Did fender make a large variety of 68 2x15s?

:confused:

You tell me. I know they've had 2x15 guitar cabs(Dual Showman for sure) in the past as well as 2x15 bass cabs in the past(Bassman series) I don't know which years the different models were available as I am not really up on Fender history. Perhaps you could add a little,or at least tell us which model your cab is.

• Members

if you have the speaker, give it a shot, you might like it. I'm not a fan of JBLs of any sort for guitar but I like speakers that have some flavor and breakup of their own. JBLs are typically very clean, articulate speakers with little breakup. The older JBLs used alnico magnets which helped give them a slightly warmer more flavorful tone but the E series is ceramic.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

if you have the speaker, give it a shot, you might like it. I'm not a fan of JBLs of any sort for guitar but I like speakers that have some flavor and breakup of their own. JBLs are typically very clean, articulate speakers with little breakup. The older JBLs used alnico magnets which helped give them a slightly warmer more flavorful tone but the E series is ceramic.

Hey man, how's it goin? I don't have the speakers or else I would have tried them already... I'm asking because a guy somewhat locally is selling a boogie cab with a 140 in it for 235 and a 145 in another one for 290

its super cheap, and I was thinking it might satisfy my combo gas to get a 1x15 cab and use the heads I already know and love...

• Members

wassap. It's goin' alright.

Mesa makes excellent stuff, def. worth the price. They are bass cabs? Probably killer for bass guitar duty and even as subs for a small PA. Might not be tuned real well for guitar frequencies. Sometimes you just gotta hear it with your own ears and see if it works for you.

edit: I'm pretty sure they will not sound anything like a combo and will probably be big and heavy so not really the best substitute for combo gas. You'll need something open back.

Archived